TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Unfold tool can infinite loop freeze
Read 2104 times
* June 13, 2009, 09:00:22 AM
The attached file has an issue that I've come across with other similar pieces.  This is a ductwork transition layout that's composed of offset cones added.  All of the faces have been unfolded except one, which has an issue.  If you zoom in to one edge of the face, there's a line that seems to show another facet, which shouldn't be there, and if you indicate to pick that face to unfold, the errant facet highlights with the major facet.  If you do pick it, TC looks to go infinite loop, doesn't respond and has to be killed.  The circumstances that cause this behaviour are if I try to unfold a conic that's had a boolean performed on it.  The conic ends up with a longitudinal line down it (at least there's a warning indicator), and this fault exhibits.  This is reproduceable, so it should be trackable and fixable.  Go to it, support team.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* June 15, 2009, 04:21:44 PM
The circumstances that cause this behaviour are if I try to unfold a conic that's had a boolean performed on it.  The conic ends up with a longitudinal line down it (at least there's a warning indicator), and this fault exhibits.  This is reproduceable, so it should be trackable and fixable.

Murray, while your drawing does indeed behave as you describe, I'm having difficulty reproducing the problem in a new drawing. Not sure what you mean by, "...a conic that's had a boolean performed on it."

Can't say I'm surprised your drawing causes problems; it's a weird looking part ;-)

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]

* June 15, 2009, 05:06:17 PM
I think that it's a manifestation of irrationality, Henry, because its most likely to manifest when there's a boolean that's used a notional edge from the vertex to a quadrant snap.  I understand that the kernel doesn't like these situations sometimes and refuses to boolean.  We've all seen that and know the implications, what I posted this for is reliability and stability, so that the program will handle some unexpected errors better.  If you trip over this, it can dump your work.  A graceful refusal and exit from the routine would be preferable.

Can't say I'm surprised your drawing causes problems; it's a weird looking part ;-)

Henry H

[/quote]

That's almost word-for-word what they said to Michaelangelo, Galileo, Benz, Gaudi, Schrodinger and Dali.  Thanks for the encouragement....!