TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

(Ram Disks) Overcoming Memory Limitations of Win Xp 32 bit and Turbocad.
Read 2360 times
* April 29, 2010, 08:25:37 PM
Has anybody on the forum used a ram disk with Win XP 32 bit to get access to the extra memory available on there systems ?. If it is possible to access extra memory above the 3GB limit in the form of a ram disk, then it would have great advantages for use with Turbocad.

Any information would be appreciated !.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:39:04 PM by Michael Geraghty »

* April 29, 2010, 08:35:38 PM
Here is a link that says that it is possible with certain software.

RamDisk 11 for Desktop Systems Link
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:40:16 PM by Michael Geraghty »

* April 29, 2010, 08:59:40 PM
Back in the days of 16-bit systems and early 32-bit, a company called Platypus used to sell SCSI boards that had gangs of RAM instead of electromechanical discs and worked as superfast (for the time) swap files.  As I remember, at the time, their boards were said to offer the equivalent of up to 8Gb RAM, and that going higher exceeded the data pipeline exchange rate.  It's quite likely that the recent silicon hard drives have access times that would allow similar operation.  I don't think that Platypus is in business any longer, though.  They were fearsomely expensive.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:10:26 PM by murray dickinson »

April 30, 2010, 01:27:51 AM
Hi Michael,

Nice idea, I never tested it.
I hope it will work.
Let me now something.

Thanks,
Marc

greetings from belgium (Pajottenland)
WIN 8.1/10 - x64
- TC 9 --> TC 16.2 / 52.0 pro Platinum
- AnimationLab 4.4 - MontageCenter 1.0
- CAM plug-in for v 16

April 30, 2010, 05:13:57 AM
If it is possible to access extra memory above the 3GB limit in the form of a ram disk, then it would have great advantages for use with Turbocad.

Gee, if only TurboCAD could even go beyond the 2GB limit to use the 3GB max in 32-bit systems.   I tried enabling the 3GB switch on my machine last year.  The only thing it did was slow down the rest of the computer; TurboCAD did not take advantage of the new memory allotment.  I assume it's for the same reason TC won't take advantage of the extra memory usage in 64-bit systems.

So if there is a way to increase it, I'd love to hear about it.   ;D

Unfortunately, I think taking advantage of increased RAM will be entirely up to TurboCAD itself, which means I doubt the increased memory will work.   :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:17:58 AM by Josh T. »

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016