TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Adding fillet to 2D object - red triangles appear and can't select line
Read 2411 times
* April 22, 2010, 05:33:50 AM
Hi there

I'm trying to add a fillet to a 2D shape, however when trying to select one of the lines in the object when I hover the mouse over the area it draws red triangles and does not allow me to 'Select the first entity'.

Any idea what the red triangles are and why I cannot select a line?

My 2d object is a square with a couple of closed polylines subtracted from it.

Using: TC Pro 16.1 Basic

Thanks very much
Tim Huffam

* April 22, 2010, 05:46:48 AM
Aha.... just tried exploding it first and it now allows me to do the fillet without the mystery red rectangles.

That goes against what it says in the manual ("Use the Edit Tool on the multi-segmented object you
want to fillet (polyline, rectangle, polygon, etc.)."

Anyone know why?  And what the red triangles are?

Cheers
Tim

* April 22, 2010, 10:02:54 AM
Aha.... just tried exploding it first and it now allows me to do the fillet without the mystery red rectangles.

That goes against what it says in the manual ("Use the Edit Tool on the multi-segmented object you
want to fillet (polyline, rectangle, polygon, etc.)."

Anyone know why?  And what the red triangles are?

Cheers
Tim

Don't know about the red triangles/rectangles; never saw them. But when you do a 2D Boolean operation, the result is not a Polyline but a thing called a Region, which has rather strange properties. Explode it one time and you get a Polyline, which can be filleted/edited/whatever.

Henry H

April 22, 2010, 10:48:28 AM

[/quote]

Don't know about the red triangles/rectangles; never saw them. But when you do a 2D Boolean operation, the result is not a Polyline but a thing called a Region, which has rather strange properties.
Henry H
[/quote]

BTW Henry, do you know why a 2D boolean leaves a "Region". I know you can create a region. What is or is there an advantage of a region over a polyline? I always have to turn them into polylines.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* April 22, 2010, 12:47:17 PM

What is or is there an advantage of a region over a polyline? I always have to turn them into polylines.

A Region has many advantages over a Polyline. Give me a while to think of some...

...Sorry, came up empty. Even the ever-optimistic Help file is silent on this question.

Henry H

* April 22, 2010, 03:29:14 PM
I believe Regions were useful back when we had Normal & Rigid Extrude and did not have the "Use Compound Profile" feature. Back then, an arc segment in a Polyline turned into a series of facets whereas a Region retained the smooth curvature when extruded.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* April 22, 2010, 04:43:28 PM
A region can be many closed polylines (or circles, etc.), allowing you to extrude certain things (for example, a circular hole pattern with 20 holes, which could then be subtracted from a flange) much faster than you could extrude them separately.

JoeM

* April 22, 2010, 07:18:34 PM
A region can be many closed polylines (or circles, etc.), allowing you to extrude certain things (for example, a circular hole pattern with 20 holes, which could then be subtracted from a flange) much faster than you could extrude them separately.

JoeM

Nowadays you don't have to extrude them separately, nor do you have to create a Region. Enable "Use compound profile" and hold the Shift key while clicking on each profile in turn.

Henry H