TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

CameraPosByPath
Read 8142 times
* April 09, 2010, 07:01:43 AM
I am trying to understand how to Run a camera, focused on an object, and around that object, based on a spline path. I want the camera to be looking up at the object at an angle. I have attached what I have done so far, based on a tutorial I found as well as documentation in the help file. My results have not been successful or predictable.

Ron Hill

* April 09, 2010, 09:57:08 AM
I am trying to understand how to Run a camera, focused on an object, and around that object, based on a spline path. I want the camera to be looking up at the object at an angle. I have attached what I have done so far, based on a tutorial I found as well as documentation in the help file. My results have not been successful or predictable.

The basics: Insert a Camera Object into the drawing; place it on the spline; point it at the object; select the Camera and enable "Attached" in its Properties page. Open the Windows menu and go to the "Camera" window (its exact name may vary); go to View|Camera|PropertiesCamera and enable "Perspective View."

Make both the Spline and Camera  Actors. Select the Camera actor and assign the command, "CameraPosbyPath," with the Spline as the main argument. Also assign, "CameraLookAt" to the Camera actor, with the coordinates of the target object as the arguments.

Henry H
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:48:34 PM by Henry Hubich »

April 09, 2010, 12:08:05 PM

Hi Ron,

try this . . .

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

* April 12, 2010, 11:00:44 AM
Thanks to both Henry and Tim. I have looked at both suggestions and they have helped me get closer to the view I am looking for. Ideally I want it to look as though a person was walking around the object filming it at an upwards angle; like the object was a tall building. It appears that the animation in not only dependent on the camera commands in scenario scrip editor, but also the initial view the drawing is in before you start the animation?

Ron Hill

* April 12, 2010, 01:06:06 PM
Thanks to both Henry and Tim. I have looked at both suggestions and they have helped me get closer to the view I am looking for. Ideally I want it to look as though a person was walking around the object filming it at an upwards angle; like the object was a tall building. It appears that the animation in not only dependent on the camera commands in scenario scrip editor, but also the initial view the drawing is in before you start the animation?

Dunno, Ron. I thought I understood how to do that, but I'm about ready to put my foot through the screen :-(

Henry H

April 12, 2010, 09:12:49 PM
Just experimenting/learning here too.

CameraPosByPath is a spline at ground level
CameraLookByPath is circle inside the solid, just above the arch
CameraUp stops your model from wobble & weeving

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* April 13, 2010, 11:01:21 AM
Just experimenting/learning here too.

CameraPosByPath is a spline at ground level
CameraLookByPath is circle inside the solid, just above the arch
CameraUp stops your model from wobble & weeving

Which versions of TCad and Anilab are you using, Julian? I'm using Anilab 44_91 in TCad 16.2, and I cannot control both the target point and the UP direction for the camera. I've tried your method as well as half a dozen others, with no luck.

Henry H

April 13, 2010, 11:08:57 AM

It appears that the animation in not only dependent on the camera commands in scenario scrip editor, but also the initial view the drawing is in before you start the animation?

Hi Ron,

yes, you are correct.  Most important!

Always run with camera set to perspective view - whatever suits your needs - and try to get into the habit of undoing your scenario after each run, even if the the action returns to the initial point.  This last habit will prevent things getting confused, in my experience.

Although things can be, at first sight, rather frustrating, with practice and perseverance, you will soon find what works for you.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

April 13, 2010, 04:52:01 PM
Which versions of TCad and Anilab are you using, Julian? I'm using Anilab 44_91 in TCad 16.2, and I cannot control both the target point and the UP direction for the camera. I've tried your method as well as half a dozen others, with no luck.

Henry H
Not sure where to find Anilab build/version, Henry. The installer is version 4.4, and I'm still on TC16.2 (54.0)

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* April 13, 2010, 06:50:45 PM

Henry H
Not sure where to find Anilab build/version, Henry. The installer is version 4.4, and I'm still on TC16.2 (54.0)

Thanks for looking, Julian, but I eventually got myself straightened out. Finally became aware that a "Mobile Camera" is a very special actor, and not the same thing as a Camera Object. I'd been fiddling with the latter, inserting one into the drawing and making it an Actor. Strange thing is that it almost works, but goes haywire when trying to tell it which way is Up.

...BTW, I'm pretty sure that Anilab for TCad v17 is not yet available.

Henry H

April 13, 2010, 07:58:01 PM

Henry H

I have Animation Lab running in V17.

April 13, 2010, 07:59:24 PM

hmmm...Kai reckons AL4.4 works with v17 **Edit** and as just confirmed by Don
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:01:09 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

* April 13, 2010, 09:10:42 PM

...Sigh... Okay.

Henry H

April 13, 2010, 09:28:22 PM

...Sigh... Okay.

Henry H

See if it makes a difference if you try running it with the Themed UI as opposed to the Standard (v11) UI. If I am not mistaken, you still use the old UI. Correct?

* April 14, 2010, 11:42:28 AM

...Sigh... Okay.

Henry H

See if it makes a difference if you try running it with the Themed UI as opposed to the Standard (v11) UI. If I am not mistaken, you still use the old UI. Correct?

Correct. And Yes, it does make a difference: The Themed UI makes it possible to run Anilab 44 in v17. But I dislike that UI so intensely that I think I prefer to run Anilab in 16.2 with the new UI, reserving 16.2 for Anilab use exclusively.

Henry H