TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

How to configure Tcad 17 Graphics...
Read 6890 times
March 25, 2010, 01:55:12 PM
Well folks:

The boss was kind enough to upgrade me from v15 to 17, but I can't say I am that impressed. I am happy that the software stopped crashing every time I load in a large file-- My sprinkler timer box if you recall, but I was excited about the redway3d.

My first problem is that the driver I have was too new 175.19 vs. 169.21 (nvidia) which was the recommended driver, but unfortunately it slowed down my other software that uses intense graphics. i.e. video player.
I did not see an update for v17 yet.

I did not notice an increase in speed when spinning an object vs. v15. The wire frame seems to slightly go faster, but it was already fast without the new engine. It's rendered stuff I want sped up and not the wire frame.. The frames per second seem slower. Maybe it's just me, or I expected too much.

The video card property button under the redway settings is not available. That seemed odd.

has anyone out there optimized their settings, and seen a differnce??

Aram

1) Tcad V20 on HP Z10 Workstation 3.3ghz-4gb- 64bit- Nvidia Quadro 2000 Win 7
2) Tcad V20 on Lenovo D30 Workstation 2x- Xeon, 64bit, 16gb -Nvidia Quadro K2000 Win 8

March 25, 2010, 03:45:51 PM
Aram,

I have been using redsdk for a couple months using a newer than supported driver and have not run into any problems specific to my configuration.

Depending on how good your machine is you may not see dramatic results until you get into a much larger drawing.  I had a drawing where I could not move objects around at all without redsdk enabled.

Draft render and hidden line should be the next step.

Not sure about the video card properties will look into that.

Rip

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* March 25, 2010, 08:08:13 PM
re: The video card property button under the Redway settings is not available. That seemed odd.

From what I've seen, the "Show Video System Info" button in Native Draw does not become available until you've actually restarted the program in Redway mode.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* March 26, 2010, 10:44:01 AM
Rip

What are the chances that hidden line and render will be available in Model Space (floating)?

I prefer to work in this mode because it is easier to switch between viewports to control layer settings and named views than to work in model space and have to change settings.

It would be very helpful to have Hidden Line available in Model Space (floating).

As it stands now I have to set the viewport itself to hidden line rendering mode and work in wireframe in the viewport.  It is often very difficult to really be sure that you are seeing things correctly in wireframe mode.  To get a realistic view requires returning to Paper Space to view the model in Hidden Line, then back to Model Space (floating).

BTW very pleased with the work that has been done to improve Paper Space in v17.  The bold border on the active Model Space (floating) viewport and the redraw improvements are very much appreciated.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* March 26, 2010, 02:39:43 PM

I loaded a large drawing (converted Solidworks model) and found a huge performance increase with Redsdk in wire frame mode. So, I'm definitely seeing the benefit.

However, I'm finding the hidden line flickering when the Redsdk is on.  I find this better with the Redsdk off.

Rip,
Will the "next step" to hidden line Redsdk be as a patch/update to V17 or will it be V18?

Regards,

Paul.

* March 27, 2010, 07:02:42 AM
Hello Paul..

I loaded a large drawing (converted Solidworks model)

How to do this?
I have been using swks -> iges and load to TC.
Is there another direct way which retains more part info?

Regards
Frank G

* March 27, 2010, 07:24:58 AM
Hello Paul

Try this go to Native draw click on the GDI radio button tick flicker free draw then reselect the Redsdk button this seems to help.

Warren

March 30, 2010, 09:57:10 AM
Aram,

I have been using redsdk for a couple months using a newer than supported driver and have not run into any problems specific to my configuration.

Depending on how good your machine is you may not see dramatic results until you get into a much larger drawing.  I had a drawing where I could not move objects around at all without redsdk enabled.

Not sure about the video card properties will look into that.

Rip

Hmmm... Well all the warning says is that the newer driver is "not certified" when booting tcad. Are you saying it should still work? or hit and miss?

I notice that when I try to spin a math intense object, my graphics card turns on (as usual) and the object turns, in very coarse degrees. I really hate that. I want to turn the object smoothly to examine, and I was hoping the new reddsk would have improved that. So what exactly is it supposed to improve? just examining speed in hidden line mode?

I want to be able to test the difference on an identical object with the engine on and off, but to sure how to configure, and exactly what to test. Any advice?

Aram

2) Tcad V20 on Lenovo D30 Workstation 2x- Xeon, 64bit, 16gb -Nvidia Quadro K2000 Win 8

* March 30, 2010, 10:09:51 AM
So what exactly is it supposed to improve? just examining speed in hidden line mode?

Nope. In v17.0, examining speed is improved in Wireframe mode only.

Henry H

March 30, 2010, 10:16:07 AM
Henry.. That seems odd to me.. I have always experienced wire frame very fast. It's when it is rendered that it gets bogged down. Has wireframe speed been an issue for anybody??? I suspect that would have to be a very, very huge file. It would be nice if someone could post a file of that size to see the issue-- and engine difference.

Hope this wasn't some white elephant feature thrown in..

Aram

* March 30, 2010, 10:28:02 AM
Henry.. That seems odd to me.. I have always experienced wire frame very fast. It's when it is rendered that it gets bogged down. Has wireframe speed been an issue for anybody??? I suspect that would have to be a very, very huge file. It would be nice if someone could post a file of that size to see the issue-- and engine difference.

Hope this wasn't some white elephant feature thrown in..

Aram

I completely agree, Aram. Wireframe has always been fast for me, too. My tests indicated that it really does have to be a very, very huge file (or a very complex drawing) to make Redsdk worth using. Perhaps the elephant will acquire some color when/if Hidden Line and other render modes are supported ;-)

Henry H

* March 30, 2010, 10:33:57 AM
Here is what     http://www.redway3d.com/pages/redsdk.php
says:
Redsdk: the scalable “all-in-one” graphics middleware

Redsdk is a C++ programming toolkit dedicated to image visualization. Redsdk renders any kind of 2d draft, real-time 3d image and photo-realistic 3d image using a single integrated API.

Thanks to innovative image calculation and memory management algorithms as well as an extensive usage of GPU acceleration when available, Redsdk improves the overall rendering quality and display performances of most applications, and elegantly replaces outdated in-house solutions in providing a smooth migration workflow.

March 30, 2010, 03:49:58 PM
Hmm.. Well I don't mean to be a pill, but perhaps redway could post a file that we could play with and see exactly what this is. My rig supports this new add on, but not sure if there is any value to it.

HP 3.2ghz P4, Nvidia Geforce FX5950, 2gb ram. Sigh...

Aram

March 30, 2010, 04:14:49 PM
Sorry for the delay I took a vacation that involved not using the computer for a couple days.

As long as your video card is supported having a newer driver than supported by redsdk does not cause any known issues.

A far as hidden line and draft render, would not expect this until v18.

You may want to work in Native GDI unless the enhanced speeds are needed. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* March 30, 2010, 04:49:40 PM
Well, here's what I have...

v17.0.35.7 Pro Platinum on XP SP3, 4G RAM, nVidia driver 197.13, two 260's in SLI on a DX58SO mb.

Even though the pop-up box states that the system is RedSDK compatible, RedSDK is not functional/usable on this setup - I now run in GDI mode. With RedSDK I get (in the drawing area) either a totally white or a totally black screen. Menu's/mouse generally all remain functional.

As Aram wrote, I hope this wasn't just a "white elephant" feature.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

TurboCad user since PS v1.2
v24.0.26.3 Pro Plat x64
WIN10 x64 w/16G Mem. nVidia GTX1080(s)

* March 30, 2010, 07:03:10 PM
Hmm.. Well I don't mean to be a pill, but perhaps redway could post a file that we could play with and see exactly what this is. My rig supports this new add on, but not sure if there is any value to it.

HP 3.2ghz P4, Nvidia Geforce FX5950, 2gb ram. Sigh...

Aram

Perhaps Julian Thomas will post his "Menger.tcw."

Henry H

* March 31, 2010, 12:53:13 AM
How to do this?

Hi Frank,
I'm using a copy of Alibre to convert these files for TC (as a .SAT). Alibre had a nice promotion than included this translation for $99.
I don't believe they include it for free now, you have to pay extra for it.

Works well though.
P.

* March 31, 2010, 12:55:01 AM
Try this go to Native draw click on the GDI radio button tick flicker free draw then reselect the Redsdk button this seems to help.

Hi Warren,

I tried this, it doesn’t seem to really improve things for me.

P.

* March 31, 2010, 03:01:22 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for this re Solidworks to TCW files

How to do this?

Hi Frank,
I'm using a copy of Alibre to convert these files for TC (as a .SAT). Alibre had a nice promotion than included this translation for $99.
I don't believe they include it for free now, you have to pay extra for it.

Works well though.
P.

Frank G