TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

tcw to dxf conversion question
Read 6679 times
* June 05, 2009, 08:46:25 AM
When I create a dxf (or a dwg) file from a turbocad drawing that is genrated from a 3D solid model the resulting dxf file does not contain lines and arcs in the drawing image. The drawing image seems to be made up of short segments.

That's not a problem if the dxf or dwg file is for viewing but if the drawing image is required to be worked on further in AC or a CAM package that can import a dxf file, the file is pretty much  useless. The convertion works fine for anything that is drawn as 2D but 3D is a problem. This seems to be the case using viewports or the standard draughting views.

Is there a way for the converter to create the dxf or dwg drawing file as lines and arc in the drawing for the 3D geometry? If so how is it done.

I have tried this in V16, V15.2 and V10.2 with the same results.

June 06, 2009, 04:33:07 PM
Not sure if this is related but I had similar experience 2 years ago.

I emailed a TC generated DWG to a laser cutting shop. The 3D model was a simple control panel with cut-outs for gauges, valves, etc. Their CNC operater phoned me to check if all the octagonal holes were correct. I explained that all holes were supposed to be round. He then had a good rant about sub-standard AutoCad clone programs and faulty DWGs.

In TC everything looked OK so I downloaded DWG TrueView to check where I had gone wrong. Sure enough the holes were octagonal (with Trueview's default settings), but by adjusting a couple of parameters in the options the model then showed up with round holes.

I was a bit fired up but before I could do a Homer on him, the parts turned up with nice round holes in them - I guess they figured out how to use their TurboCAD clone.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:29:05 AM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* June 08, 2009, 03:19:32 AM
Thanks Julian I will give it a try.

I was hoping that the dxf file would have true arcs and lines in it. What my customer is seeing is only the 2D geometry that has been added in paper space to annotate the view ports. All the geometry that is generated from the 3D model in the view ports does not show.

I might have to do a drawing for him in 2D, but I can't believe that is the real solution.

June 09, 2009, 02:47:19 PM
The fact is I have very little knowledge of AC, others here please jump in if I'm wrong.

I’ve sent many drawings to companies for CAM/CNC manufacture and pretty much all of them rely solely on the 3d model in the DWG/DXF.

the dxf file would have true arcs and lines in it
I reckon they do - it's the guy the other end who has the problem

What my customer is seeing is only the 2D geometry that has been added in paper space to annotate the view ports. All the geometry that is generated from the 3D model in the view ports does not show.
My experience with viewport transfer to AC isn't good (read 100% fail). I treat viewports in paper space as cosmetic, they're never dimensioned and I usually only use a viewport to clarify something in the design, see example below. If I want our supplier to see a pretty picture of the object, I'll send a PDF as well.

I might have to do a drawing for him in 2D, but I can't believe that is the real solution.
For manual manufacture in our workshop, I use the drafting pallet extensively and all components are dimensioned fully in paper space.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:55:54 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* June 11, 2009, 02:13:04 AM
Thanks Julian.

I think you are correct, the other guy has the problem. I will have to work with him to get him to use the 3D geometry.

Thanks again

Alan

* June 11, 2009, 10:30:50 AM
Really nice image Julian.   Can we add this to the TurboCAD public showcase?

June 11, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
Thanks Dave, that was just a screen grab to aid my explanation to Alan in this thread. I have better, let me know if you need higher quality.

Julian