TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

"automatic" layer selection
Read 101 times
* June 29, 2020, 09:18:06 PM
Hi All,

TC 2018 pro plat user here. I run into this a bit and figured there must be a switch/fix but have yet to find it. Basically I want to set the "layer" for the various drawing tools to be "by active layer" so that I can just "activate" the layer in the design director and keep drawing and have my stuff appear on the layer I'd like it to appear on.

I find the work around of leaving "layer 0" there to pick things up and then going back and selecting everything on 0 and moving it to the "correct" layer is be a problem, and when I forget if I lock a layer because the stuff is "done" and later delete on layer 0 but forgot to move something suddenly my previous work is lost. It is kind of frustrating and it seems like a pretty obvious thing to have, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

--Chuck

TC Plat Pro 2018, Win 10, Surface Book, first TurboCAD version 3.0 (still have the disks)

* June 30, 2020, 12:35:21 AM
How useful this would be to yourself I don't know. But, in Options - Program Setup - Advanced Preferences. there is an option to   'Apply general property changes to all tools presets:''.

With this turned on, activating a tool, then selecting the layer. means all objects drawn 2d or 3d, will use that active layer. until you select a new layer. 

However, all pre-sets will be treated the same, not just Layers. i.e  pen colour, brush colour etc.  If you normally have pen colour by layer, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you normally draw lines blue and circles green. then they will all be the same after ticking Apply general property changes.

* June 30, 2020, 05:06:32 AM
https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TC21UG/pages/14320316/Property+Value+Presets
As Andy said you need to see how property presets work

They can be very useful. once you understand how they work. They save a lot of time . The down side is that you can only set them for one type of tool.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

June 30, 2020, 05:13:52 AM
I find the work around of leaving "layer 0" there to pick things up and then going back and selecting everything on 0 and moving it to the "correct" layer is be a problem, and when I forget if I lock a layer because the stuff is "done" and later delete on layer 0 but forgot to move something suddenly my previous work is lost. It is kind of frustrating and it seems like a pretty obvious thing to have, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

It's been years, so I don't remember if I set anything to get this behavior, but when I select, say, Line and then an arbitrary Layer, all subsequent invocations of the Line command automatically change to that pre-selected Layer.  I just confirmed with a Line on one Layer and a Circle on another Layer, then returned to create a new Line and the Active Layer changed.  I tried again with Circle and it changed to the same Layer as with the first Circle command.

I then invoked the Line / Rectangle command and it switched to the same Layer as the other two Lines.  The same thing happened for variations of the Circle command.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:47:13 AM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 30, 2020, 05:45:03 AM
I think the issue most people migrating from Autocad is that In AC you set a layer and draw on that layer.
 Everything is drawn on one layer until you change layers.
In Tc you set up Property sets for each tool - so layers change automatically when you change tool type.
To switch layers you select a new property set  (defined by you)- which includes layer settings.
If you don't set up property sets the default "normal" setting is used.

You can turn TC method off as Andy explained. Tcads method saves a lot of time when you get used to it.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks