TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Solidworks mates in TurboCAD?
Read 6988 times
* March 08, 2010, 01:20:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I am new to turboCAD (like about 3 days new!), I have recently moved to it from having worked in Solidworks for years. I am currently using the Pro version of turbo CAD.

Is there any similar system to the mate system in Solidworks in TurboCad? I am having difficulty lining models accurately with eachother and cant seem to find any tutorials on how to do this.

Any help in snapping objects together in this way would be appreciated.

* March 08, 2010, 01:22:12 PM
Is there any similar system to the mate system in Solidworks in TurboCad? I am having difficulty lining models accurately with eachother and cant seem to find any tutorials on how to do this.

Any help in snapping objects together in this way would be appreciated.

Open the Help file and read about the Assembly tools.

Henry H

* March 08, 2010, 03:39:08 PM
Great thanks, thats not quite the same as the mating in Solidworks, but it definately helps with the positioning.  ;D

March 08, 2010, 03:54:01 PM
A common technique used in TurboCAD is to re-position the Reference Point of the object being moved so that it can be snapped to some characteristic of a second object (a vertex, the center of a circular surface, the middle of an edge, etc.).

You can even move a selection of multiple objects in this manner by selecting them, adjusting the Reference Point, then moving all of them.  When you de-select them, their individual Reference Points remain unchanged. 

Alternatively, you can select several objects, change the Reference Point, then Group them together.  Now, you can select and move the Group at any time with the Reference Point being fixed (unless you manually change it).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 08, 2010, 04:26:21 PM
The edit|transform tools don't get a lot of attention, but they add some useful abilities, and rudimentary transformation scripting through the recorder.  Generic Transform combines 3-point assembly with aspects of grouping, with the additional advantages of not having to concern yourself with reference points, being able to add or subtract objects from the assembly group on the fly, and visual rubber-banding of the selector shell while the action is in progress.

* March 09, 2010, 04:52:28 AM
When I do assemblies that need to be mated, I'll bring my parts in as external references, change the reference point and then move them to a point on the object I want it to mate to.  I'll then move if in the inspector bar if necessary.  When I'm done moving,

I'll group those two objects together, thus allowing me to move them together easily, and so I don't move one accidentally.

Cameron Blair

* March 10, 2010, 06:50:15 PM
Great, thanks for all the help everyone, it has definately made things work better for me

* May 13, 2010, 08:10:39 PM
I have been using the reference points to snap to eachother as recommended above, however there seems to be a slight bug with this sometimes:

Occasionally when i try and snap one of the reference axis (point Z for example) it snaps to the exact spot I require based on the current view I am in, but the minute I rotate the view slightly the point is actually just snapped in a random point in space that happens to look like it is in the right place. Has anyone else come across this?

If this is unclear here is an example:

I snap the reference point to the center of a circle, then snap Z axis handle to the top quadrant (while in iso view). I then rotate the camera slighly only to find the Z handle floating way out in space, not actually snapped to the quadrant(Although if I return to ISO view it "looks" as though it has snapped to the quadrant). Any thoughts?

May 13, 2010, 08:23:33 PM
I have been using the reference points to snap to eachother as recommended above, however there seems to be a slight bug with this sometimes:

Occasionally when i try and snap one of the reference axis (point Z for example) it snaps to the exact spot I require based on the current view I am in, but the minute I rotate the view slightly the point is actually just snapped in a random point in space that happens to look like it is in the right place. Has anyone else come across this?

If this is unclear here is an example:

I snap the reference point to the center of a circle, then snap Z axis handle to the top quadrant (while in iso view). I then rotate the camera slighly only to find the Z handle floating way out in space, not actually snapped to the quadrant(Although if I return to ISO view it "looks" as though it has snapped to the quadrant). Any thoughts?

I have seen this occur when new users do not quite understand snapping (no offense meant). When this has been happening users have been holding the mouse button down at the same time they were pressing the SEKE key. When snapping, no mouse button should be pressed, only the single snap key, pressed once. Also when picking up an object to move you do not drop and drag which is what will happen is you have your mouse button pressed while relocating. To pick up, click and release the left mouse button on the reference point. The object's bounding box will then be attached to the cursor until it is snapped in place.

* May 13, 2010, 08:59:06 PM
Thanks for the help Don, unfortunately I do seem to be doing it the way you advise already. Basically what I do is CTRL click the reference point, then USE the C seke to locate the center of the circle. Next I CTRL click once on the Z handle (Green Dot) and use the Q seke in an attempt to snap to the quadrant. The center always locates correctly, but for some reason the quadrant does not :S

May 13, 2010, 09:16:51 PM
Thanks for the help Don, unfortunately I do seem to be doing it the way you advise already. Basically what I do is CTRL click the reference point, then USE the C seke to locate the center of the circle. Next I CTRL click once on the Z handle (Green Dot) and use the Q seke in an attempt to snap to the quadrant. The center always locates correctly, but for some reason the quadrant does not :S

Okay on the first part, but you can also just press the D key to relocate the reference point. That is the SEKE for it.

When you press Ctrl + Left mouse click on a rotation handle (green) that only relocates the handle itself, to help facilitate snapping or rotating in a more convenient manner. Maybe that is what you are wanting to do. If you want to rotate the object itself by clicking on a rotation handle no keyboard buttons should be pressed.

Sorry if I am not fully understanding what you are trying to do with the two processes.