TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Determine Area
Read 804 times
* December 12, 2019, 06:56:24 AM
Is it possible to open a JPEG or PDF drawing in TurboCAD?
I have a scanned image of an "f" hole from a mandolin and I want to find the area of that irregular shape. I know that if I can get it into TurboCAD I can trace a polyline around the shape and get the area. Unfortunately, TurboCAD does not seem to want to accept my file. I also have a copy of TurboPDF if that would help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rex Perry

December 12, 2019, 07:23:23 AM
Read about Inserting Image files, and PDF Underlays, two separate sections, in the Help documentation.

You did not say which version & edition of TurboCAD you are using.  Example:  version-2019, edition-Deluxe.

You will also want to learn about achieving accurate scaling of those insertions, so read about how to go about that here, on Don Cheke's Textual Creations Tips page.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:26:29 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

December 12, 2019, 08:54:37 AM
Rex, can you upload/attach the f-hole mandolin top image file here.  And provide some known measurement dimension-- such as how wide the top is; the largest known actual dimension will provide for the best accuracy in scaling the image after insertion (not Copy/Paste) into TurboCAD.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:05:02 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 12, 2019, 09:15:03 AM
Alvin,
Thank you for your comments.
I have attached a tracing of one of the f holes. The tracing was done on paper with 1/4" squares, although I am not sure they will be visible. The distance between the two marks on the drawing is one inch.
Rex

I forgot to mention that I am using  TurboCAD 2019 Delux, 64 bit
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:18:51 AM by Rex Perry »

December 12, 2019, 10:36:58 AM
Attached is the best I could do, based on the rough sketch.

>The image you provided was fortunately full scale.  I first opened the image file in IrfanView and checked its dimensions. Then when I inserted the Image file into TurboCAD (TurboCAD has a Tool/command specifically for that), I inserted it using the X/Y sizes ascertained from IrfanView.
>In TurboCAD, I created a rectangle to use for a "Crop Image" (another TurboCAD tool), to remove the extraneous parts of the image-- the excess grid paper.
>I then did some CAD stuff to rotate the image so that the image's grid lines were pretty much orthogonal in TurboCAD (appeared to be straight up-and-down, and side-to-side); I did that to make it easier to work with.

In TurboCAD, I "Embedded" the image; that is an option in TurboCAD's Image Manager.  I made sure to hit "Apply" before exiting out of that window.  Sometimes, even though we "Embed" and hit "Apply", the image still does not embed.  So, if when you open my TurboCAD file, if the image is not there when you select the image (the Image Layer is currently Locked; UnLock it, to select the image), you will have to direct TurboCAD on where on your system to find it... to link it to.

Anyway... based on the rough sketch, your mandolin f-hole has an area of approximately 2.08006 inches.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:45:25 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

December 12, 2019, 11:22:09 AM
Attached is a slightly improved drawing file.
I cleaned up the f-holes end "circles" (arcs) connections with the splines.
The f-hole can now be used for a successful "(Insert/)PickPointHatching", which I did, after removing the previous Hatch I created using the Format/Create_Hatch command.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 12, 2019, 11:30:51 AM
Alvin,
Thank you for calculating the area of the F hole drawing. It is interesting to note that from all I have read on the subject, the total area of the two F holes should be about 4.0 square inches. Looks like we are pretty close.
Thanks for your help in figuring out the area and for pointing out how I might be able to do the same in the future.
Rex

December 12, 2019, 12:49:49 PM
Alvin,
Thank you for calculating the area of the F hole drawing. It is interesting to note that from all I have read on the subject, the total area of the two F holes should be about 4.0 square inches. Looks like we are pretty close.
Thanks for your help in figuring out the area and for pointing out how I might be able to do the same in the future.
Rex

You're Welcome Rex.

Attached is a version that is 4.00024 square inches.

>In Modelspace, I copied the objects
>With "Keep Aspect Ratio" active I scaled (re-sized) the F-Hole by a factor of 1.3715.  I just kept entering values, and keeping an eye in the Selection_Info_Palette/Metrics/Area until I hit on something close enough.  I could have kept on trying-- like 1.37148 or something-- but I figured this was close enough.

The last Paperspace can actually be used for a template cut-out.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 12, 2019, 02:14:08 PM
While Alvin's procedure generally preferred, one can also simply copy an image from a photo editor (Ctrl+C) and paste it into TCad (Crl+V). Once in TCad, it can be rescaled via the Inspector Bar. I don't think it can be embedded in the drawing, but in a quick test I just ran, an image inserted this way did stay with the .tcw when I shut down TCad and restarted it.

Henry H

December 13, 2019, 06:37:18 AM
While Alvin's procedure generally preferred, one can also simply copy an image from a photo editor (Ctrl+C) and paste it into TCad (Crl+V). Once in TCad, it can be rescaled via the Inspector Bar. I don't think it can be embedded in the drawing, but in a quick test I just ran, an image inserted this way did stay with the .tcw when I shut down TCad and restarted it.

Henry H

Definitely using TurboCAD's Insert/Image/From_File is superior to the quick-'n-dirty Copy/Paste method.
The latter is more pixelated, particularly when scaled or zoomed.  It's just of lower quality and doesn't "behave" as well in TurboCAD.

For the sake of knowing, can someone assist me with a test.  Attached is a Drawing file started in V21PP "From Scratch".
There are two Images in the Modelspace.  The image on the left, I inserted via the Copy/Paste method; the one on the right I used the preferred method, then Embedded it.

Did both Images make it through to you?
(I'm thinking there is a possibility that the reason Henry reports success at "an image inserted this way did stay with the .tcw when I shut down TCad and restarted it" is because the image lies somewhere within his system.)

Alvin Gregorio

* December 13, 2019, 07:35:11 AM
I got both images. I think the "pasted" image is probably also embedded.

Also worked in TurboCAD 2019 Platinum.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:40:53 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

December 13, 2019, 08:35:43 AM
I got both images. I think the "pasted" image is probably also embedded.

Also worked in TurboCAD 2019 Platinum.

Thanks John.  I have been wondering about that for years.

Alvin Gregorio