TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Why can't these objects add???
Read 6990 times
March 01, 2010, 03:07:33 PM
Greetings tcad folks....

Still trying to finish this door. I have a problem. This door has three objects to it: Decoration, the main body, and trim, I am trying to add the three using 3d add, but no luck. When I try to add the body to the trim I get an error: "The selected entity must be of the Acis type". When trying the opposite --The selected entity must be of the turbocad surface type

It's like the objects have different solids characteristics...

Can anyone explain this or give Any advice?

See attached.

Aram

1) Tcad V20 on HP Z10 Workstation 3.3ghz-4gb- 64bit- Nvidia Quadro 2000 Win 7
2) Tcad V20 on Lenovo D30 Workstation 2x- Xeon, 64bit, 16gb -Nvidia Quadro K2000 Win 8

* March 01, 2010, 03:34:16 PM
You have all different objects.

The "Fillet" piece on the bottom is a "ACIS Solid".
The "Door" part is a "Surface".
The "Decoration" is several "Groups" within a Group. Buried deep inside are ACIS Solids.

None of these will 3D Add in their present state.

You can attempt to change the Door to Solid Mode, but that may crash TC.
Your best bet is to convert all your ACIS Solids to TC Surfaces, then 3D Add.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

March 01, 2010, 03:43:39 PM
Hmm... Thanks John, but how do figure this happened??? Also how do you check??

Aram

2) Tcad V20 on Lenovo D30 Workstation 2x- Xeon, 64bit, 16gb -Nvidia Quadro K2000 Win 8

* March 01, 2010, 05:00:53 PM
re: How do you check?

Selection Info palette.

For the fillet part, selecting the Box and clicking on the Properties icon shows that it's a Solid.
The Door tells you right off, TC Surface.
You have to expand the Group ( click on the * key on the Number keypad) to find out what's inside.

re: How did it happen?

Ask the person that created the drawing.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 02, 2010, 04:10:29 AM
How do you convert ACIS Solid to TC Surface? And will that degenerate quality of object?

Gene Haynes

* March 02, 2010, 04:17:19 AM
How do you convert ACIS Solid to TC Surface?
Select your 3d object click on the Properties Icon at lower part of the screen and when the Dialog appears you'll see 3d click on it.

2nd ?:In my opinion it will. When it changes to surface. Why more facets are revealed after rendering.Try you'll see.Just don't save that way if not please with.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:49:22 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

March 02, 2010, 08:14:24 AM
re: How do you check?

Selection Info palette.

For the fillet part, selecting the Box and clicking on the Properties icon shows that it's a Solid.
The Door tells you right off, TC Surface.
You have to expand the Group ( click on the * key on the Number keypad) to find out what's inside.

re: How did it happen?

Ask the person that created the drawing.

Ouch....   Is there a way to fix this problem without re-drawing??? Convert perhaps??? Wanna make sure I understand before attempting.

Aram

March 02, 2010, 09:05:13 AM
Okay... I took the plunge sort of successfully...But....

I have some old maids on the added model which tcad says is degenerated- Boolean add is discarded...

Okay ...is there a way to un-degenerate the trouble maker decorations???

Aram ???

March 02, 2010, 09:33:00 AM
Okay... I went ahead and worked off of the original and this time Success!.. I must not have converted each decoration completely. I am getting some odd lines when rendering but that may be the result of this conversion...

Take a look--Opinions?

Aram

March 02, 2010, 10:52:04 AM
Okay now that it looks perfect I rendered and noticed the door (main body) is not hollow.. DRATS!

Apparently, I need to shell the main body... But you can't shell a surface, so I tried converting to a solid -- took ten minutes but did not crash ... As John said tcad didn't like that... But we'll see I am on third bar...

Ok.. It did solidify the object... but now it did not like shelling -- "Operation unsuccessful"

Okay I guess I need to start over-

After I shell, do I then convert to surface so I can add the decoration, and the trim???

Aram :-\

* March 02, 2010, 10:58:49 AM
Okay... I went ahead and worked off of the original and this time Success!.. I must not have converted each decoration completely. I am getting some odd lines when rendering but that may be the result of this conversion...

Take a look--Opinions?

Aram

Uncheck the Nonrenderable Objects box in Camera Properties will hide the lines when rendering.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

March 02, 2010, 11:24:18 AM
Thanks for the input Don... but now I think I am having another problem... I have to go back to the original problem that Henry was helping with... as I redraw the doors body.. My original objects were surface not solid. I went ahead and re did another one in solid I assume. When i try to copy and paste the object... It pastes without the bevels... I assume a problem in TC???  Really odd. I guess it's slightly off topic...but it is related.

Aram
???

* March 02, 2010, 12:54:48 PM
I don't know why the copy operation went bad. If you remove the Part Tree info (Explode once), it will then copy OK.
You could also delete the Fillet operation from the copy in the Selection Info palette and do it over again.

I noticed that your objects are shelled on the inside only. Are these to be sliced open at a later time or did you forget to select the bottom face when shelling? One of the doors that you marked as Surface, was a Solid. I undid the old Shell operation and did a new shell operation that opened the bottom.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 02, 2010, 03:14:31 PM
I don't know why the copy operation went bad. If you remove the Part Tree info (Explode once), it will then copy OK.
You could also delete the Fillet operation from the copy in the Selection Info palette and do it over again.

I noticed that your objects are shelled on the inside only. Are these to be sliced open at a later time or did you forget to select the bottom face when shelling? One of the doors that you marked as Surface, was a Solid. I undid the old Shell operation and did a new shell operation that opened the bottom.

Okay.. I am assuming that is a work around for your first comment.

On the second remark-- deleting the fillet op and do it again.. Why do you need to delete this?? Kind of a repair I am assuming?

Not sure what you are asking on your last paragraph- My intentions were to shell the object leaving one side open. I eventually did that...see attached..

Now that i have accomplished this- And it looks like how I want it, I tried to paste into another file (The bottom part file), and the curve profile is lost, although the decorations remain floating in "air". I tried adding all elements together successfully, then tried to paste in the same file again.. but once again the complete object pastes incomplete...

Try pasting the attached into a new file, and see if you get the same result. The hump or curve goes flat...

Aram

* March 02, 2010, 04:22:58 PM

Okay.. I am assuming that is a work around for your first comment.
On the second remark-- deleting the fillet op and do it again.. Why do you need to delete this?? Kind of a repair I am assuming?
Not sure what you are asking on your last paragraph- My intentions were to shell the object leaving one side open. I eventually did that...see attached..
Now that i have accomplished this- And it looks like how I want it, I tried to paste into another file (The bottom part file), and the curve profile is lost, although the decorations remain floating in "air". I tried adding all elements together successfully, then tried to paste in the same file again.. but once again the complete object pastes incomplete...
Try pasting the attached into a new file, and see if you get the same result. The hump or curve goes flat...
Aram

My first 2 comments were basically workarounds.
The shelled objects I saw weren't open on the bottom.

On to this drawing. I had no problems copying and pasting into new drawing. Nothing went 'flat'. The decorative pieces that appear to be floating in air are actually attached. If you do a Front view using Hiddenline or change some settings in the Drawing Setup, the drawing will display a little better.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 03, 2010, 09:03:09 AM
Hmm.. Yes it looks like it did work for you...

Okay, here is the top and bottom. The bottom was a separate file, so I pasted the door (top) into the bottom tcad file. Here is a side view in a .jpg format so you can see what is happening to the curve on the door. Notice the decorations are in place but the curve on the door is now straight... What the heck??? This i think is a tcad bug. Or would this be a normal view??... Maybe it's just me and I am having difficulty conceptualizing the view. After all when rendered it does look fine.

Opinion?

* March 03, 2010, 10:59:58 AM
Hmm.. Yes it looks like it did work for you...

Okay, here is the top and bottom. The bottom was a separate file, so I pasted the door (top) into the bottom tcad file. Here is a side view in a .jpg format so you can see what is happening to the curve on the door. Notice the decorations are in place but the curve on the door is now straight... What the heck??? This i think is a tcad bug. Or would this be a normal view??... Maybe it's just me and I am having difficulty conceptualizing the view. After all when rendered it does look fine.

Opinion?

Don't forget to enable "Quality" Faceter Mode in Options|ACIS.

Henry H

March 04, 2010, 10:50:56 AM
Got me again!

Aram

Thank you all... Now for some generic, and a new topic! ;D