TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Drawing won't mirror properly
Read 963 times
* September 16, 2019, 08:40:32 AM
I am a self taught, amateur user of Professional version 17.2. I am a small General Contractor, and draw my own house plans. Currently, I need to reverse a plan, and the walls move and text reverses.  Neither mirroring or putting -1 in the x scale works.  The drawing is on the workplane. Any thoughts?

September 16, 2019, 11:51:14 AM
Make every Layer visible and draw a vertical line to the left (or right, as you prefer) of your current model that will be used as the reference for the Mirror operations to follow.

Select All and adjust the Reference Point to the middle of the line (this new Reference Point will disappear when you de-select), then set the middle of that line to (0,0) or (0,0,0) if in 3D mode.

Individually select each Text object and change the sign of its X coordinate to move to the other side of the line.

When the text is all on the other side, temporarily Group the graphic elements and use the Mirror function with the line's end points as the reference.  Ungroup the graphic elements and you should be done.

Depending on how you've done things, you may have to re-do the Dimensions.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* September 16, 2019, 04:39:24 PM
Can you confirm ....
Is your drawing in 2D or 3D ?

Cheers
Mike

* September 16, 2019, 07:34:56 PM
My drawing is 2D

* September 16, 2019, 07:43:58 PM
My drawing is 2D

Can you share/upload the drawing file here.

One thing to try:  Group everything first (Select them, then Format/Create_Group*), then try the Mirror Copy.  Make sure all the Layers that you want to "reverse" are currently Visible and Unlocked.

If that is successful to your satisfaction, you can then unGroup that new, "reversed", Group by selecting it and Format/Explode* (Alt+Shift+E).

*Locations of the commands are/could_be different on your TurboCAD workspace configuration.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:58:32 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 16, 2019, 07:55:25 PM
Jeff, Unfortunately, your instructions require skills that I do not have.

Alvin, I would love to upload the drawing, but I don't see the option to do that. When I used your instructions, the option to create a group was "shaded out" so I could not do it.

* September 16, 2019, 08:03:45 PM
Jeff, Unfortunately, your instructions require skills that I do not have.

Alvin, I would love to upload the drawing, but I don't see the option to do that. When I used your instructions, the option to create a group was "shaded out" so I could not do it.

I know what it's like to be a working-in-the-field as a "small General Contractor", and having to try to accomplish this CAD stuff in the evenings when all you want to do is rest and maybe watch an NFL game on the TV.

When you are creating a post on this Forum, just below the window you are typing in there is a "+Attachments and other options".  Click on the +.  That will expand that section.  Click on "Choose File".  Navigate on your hard-drive to wherever that TurboCAD file is located (.tcw extension... last three characters in the file name).  Click on that and select "Open" near the bottom/right of that window.  Then Post.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 17, 2019, 07:49:26 AM
Alvin,

You are exactly right on the small General Contractor's life. I appreciate your patience and help. Here is the file

* September 17, 2019, 09:01:26 AM
Alvin,
... Here is the file

Roger-- I opened your file and worked with it.  Both in my version-19-Deluxe and version-20-ProPlatinum.

Attached is my best attempt at reversing the orientation.  Some Walls and their associated Dimensions lost their connections.  Other stuff might still be messed up as well.
    From the attached Drawing File's Summary_Info/Comments:
        Alvin Gregorio Edit 9/17/19:
        >Make everything 2D
        >Get everything on the World Workplane
        >Reverse orientation
        (Note:  The Drawing originally was-- and still is-- very messed up)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:31:56 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 09:32:26 AM
The attached file seems to have to held together a little better after the "reversing".  (in the homebuilding culture around here, we call it "reversed" or "flopped")

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 10:50:14 AM
Hi Roger, May I add a couple suggestions? When using the wall tool, turn off the "show miters" option. They are not necessary nor are walls generally built with miters and they make the drawing look more busy then it needs to be. I am assuming the hatched double line around the perimeter is the concrete foundation? In the houses around here we don't include that on the drawings and also the framing sits flush with the concrete to the outside so no water sits on the ledge. That is the objective anyways as the concrete forms move and when squaring up the framing to the foundation it often moves a little from sitting perfect on the concrete. So the concrete is not shown on a drawing since the concrete guys just use the exterior wall measurements. Also while it is nice to have so many dimensions on the drawing, many of them are redundant and make for a more complicated and overwhelming looking project. Maybe have two drawings, one with interior only wall dimensions and one with exterior dimensions which includes the wall tie in spots. One last thing is to try and put every separate thing on it's own named layer such as exterior walls on a layer named that, and windows on another layer named that and lights and other things. I see you have many layers but really breaking things down makes it easier to work on and modify if need be. Take this all with a grain of salt. My father has been building/designing custom homes for almost 40 years and I have had a hand in building a lot of them and looking at plans.

TC 14 pro.  TC 18, 21,22 pro platinum. 3 s10's and an s4. Creality Ender 5.

* September 17, 2019, 11:03:40 AM
I am a self taught, amateur user of Professional version 17.2. I am a small General Contractor, and draw my own house plans. Currently, I need to reverse a plan, and the walls move and text reverses.  Neither mirroring or putting -1 in the x scale works.  The drawing is on the workplane. Any thoughts?

Hi Roger,
Try this >

>Copy and paste in an empty paperspace
> Mirror copy what you just pasted
> Copy and paste the mirrored copy in modelspace

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* September 17, 2019, 11:29:58 AM
Hi Roger,
Try this >

That's a pretty good tip/trick Dean.  It worked for me on my second attempt.  The only thing that it didn't work on-- the only thing that didn't "lay flat" on what is seemingly the World Workplane in Modelspace-- are the five "Text" objects that display in a Front or Side view.  These "Text" objects seem to align with whatever the current view is.  Do you know what's going on with those?

Alvin Gregorio

September 17, 2019, 12:03:02 PM
The only thing that it didn't work on-- the only thing that didn't "lay flat" on what is seemingly the World Workplane in Modelspace-- are the five "Text" objects that display in a Front or Side view.  These "Text" objects seem to align with whatever the current view is.  Do you know what's going on with those?

Check the Transformation settings.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* September 17, 2019, 12:09:33 PM
The only thing that it didn't work on-- the only thing that didn't "lay flat" on what is seemingly the World Workplane in Modelspace-- are the five "Text" objects that display in a Front or Side view.  These "Text" objects seem to align with whatever the current view is.  Do you know what's going on with those?

Check the Transformation settings.

Jeff

Yep.  That's it.  Never used or really knew about that.  Thanks Jeff!

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 12:10:44 PM
Beautiful.  Now I think we have something our General Contractor friend Roger can work with and get back to doing what he mostly does for a living.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 12:19:15 PM
Hi Roger, May I add a couple suggestions? ... My father has been building/designing custom homes for almost 40 years and I have had a hand in building a lot of them and looking at plans.

(for Roger, mostly:)  The Kevin_Mendenhall-created "Smith Residence" plan, located in the Architectural Folder, in the Samples Folder, is a pretty good example of simple architectural house construction plans.  Particularly his use of Layer Sets-- in Modelspace, and their eventual use in Viewports in Paperspaces.

With TurboCAD open, click on "Open", in the window that pops up, to the top/left, click on that drop-down field box to expand it, click on "Samples", then you should see the "Architectural" folder in the pane to the right (I'm guessing this is the same in version-17; this is how it is in version-19-Deluxe).

[EDIT]:  I just noticed that Kevin did his Walls and Doors and Windows in 3D.  Probably not what I would suggest for you Roger, at this time, and with your workload.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:24:02 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 02:32:09 PM
My drawing is 2D

Roger, Your Drawing, as you initially shared it with us, has elements of 3D.
>Your walls are 9'-0" tall.  You might want to change the Wall setting in Properties/Wall page to 0", before Inserting more Walls.
>There are some Lines that are below the World Workplane.
>Some Text resides below the World Workplane.  This happens to be the Text objects that you have set to "Non-rotating" (the thing Jeff schooled me on).

Just thought I'd make you aware, for your moving forward.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 04:14:25 PM
Attached is the file >> First Floor 152 in DWG.DWG

I do not have V17.2 ... so saved as DWG 2004 >> Also >>

Look at the Paper Space ARCH A >> This where your issue is resolved >>

Basically ....
1: Organize the Dimensions & Text onto layers >> along with the Template of Sheet.
2: Model Space >> Select the Bottom View (Talking about rotating the Model >> Click >>Bottom View)
3: With all the DIMS TEXT TEMPLATE (and other unwanted info) Turned OFF >> Create VIEW << Name it Reverse Plan (or what ever)
4: Go to Paper Space >> Insert ViewPort >> Scale it 1:1 >> TICK Scale "Fixed" >> AND TICK "Lock Camera".
5: Now ROTATE the View window 180°
6: Now have fun installing all the Text and Dimensions on PAPER SPACE (This is now your Drawing Area)
7: Go back to MODEL SPACE >> And set the VIEW back to World View (Top View) << So it as per normal
8: You can Now Add in or Alter anything you like to the model >> But remember >>
...... to Up-Date the VIEWPORTS Layers if you add any more
...... All Text and DIMS to be done in Paper Space (Arch A)

Open the attached file and Blaze away.

Cheers
Mike

* September 17, 2019, 04:24:53 PM
Hi Roger,
Try this >

That's a pretty good tip/trick Dean.  It worked for me on my second attempt.

I just noticed a caveat.  The Walls that have a Height assigned to them other than 0", when copied into Paperspace, became Groups, not TurboCAD Walls.
I would expect something similar would occur with any 3D (Three-Dimensional) object, particularly "TC Smart" objects such as 3D Doors and 3D Windows.

For Roger, it's best to get the Walls all assigned a 0" Height before copying-from-Modelspace/pasting-into-Paperspace.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 17, 2019, 08:45:03 PM
A lot of info to digest.

Alvin,  The drawing you returned looks good......thanks.  I will check the samples folder too.
Dean,  I tried your tip, and it worked pretty well.  I  only had a couple of walls that moved when reversed.
Brandon, The double hatched line is the brick veneer.  Showing this and framing is typical here.  The surveyor and foundation guy use the widest dimensions, and blocks are set in 4" at grade level and above for the brick ledge.  The framer then uses all other dimensions.I do get carried away with dimensions sometime.  Also, I have gotten lazy with layer management.
Jeff,  What do I look for on transformation settings?

* September 18, 2019, 05:44:09 AM
A lot of info to digest.

Alvin,  The drawing you returned looks good......thanks.  I will check the samples folder too.
Dean,  I tried your tip, and it worked pretty well.  I  only had a couple of walls that moved when reversed.
Brandon, The double hatched line is the brick veneer.  Showing this and framing is typical here.  The surveyor and foundation guy use the widest dimensions, and blocks are set in 4" at grade level and above for the brick ledge.  The framer then uses all other dimensions.I do get carried away with dimensions sometime.  Also, I have gotten lazy with layer management.
Jeff,  What do I look for on transformation settings?

You're Welcome Roger.  Hopefully, you are using the "First Floor 152.--AlvinReversed--V17 -2.tcw" I supplied you via Reply #10-- it's in better shape than the previous one I uploaded.
I know you're busy in the field, so don't struggle too much trying to figure TurboCAD stuff out before posting on the Forum.

Regarding "Jeff,  What do I look for on transformation settings?":  See the image below.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 18, 2019, 05:55:51 AM
Ah brick. Very few homes get brick here in ND besides a little on the front for aesthetics. That will be a very nice home as I like the look of brick.
 A little off topic and sorry to Hijack but Alvin, how did you make your "speech balloon" to show the selection options. I find myself using photoshop usually but it can take some time to make it neat looking.

TC 14 pro.  TC 18, 21,22 pro platinum. 3 s10's and an s4. Creality Ender 5.

September 18, 2019, 06:26:16 AM
Did you try:
1. Select All in the Arch. C Paper Space
2. Select the Mirror Tool
3. Click anywhere left or right of the border line
4. Tab to the angle field and enter 90° and press enter

In Version 21Pro it appears to be correct.

* September 21, 2019, 07:56:42 AM
Alvin,

I have worked on 2 more drawings.  The first, 2nd. floor for the same house.  I set all walls to 0" height, moved all elements to 0" z axis, and made sure neither non rotating or backwards was checked.  Same problem.  All walls moved 4" so I manually corrected them.  The 2nd. drawing was for the foundation.  It worked perfectly since no walls were present so I assume there is glitch in TC.

One additional question.  My drawings are lighter than I would like when printed.  My line width is set at 0".  What is the best setting?  Also, will I be able to make a global change or will I have to do it element by element.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

* September 21, 2019, 09:39:42 AM
Alvin,

I have worked on 2 more drawings.  The first, 2nd. floor for the same house.  I set all walls to 0" height, moved all elements to 0" z axis, and made sure neither non rotating or backwards was checked.  Same problem.  All walls moved 4" so I manually corrected them.  The 2nd. drawing was for the foundation.  It worked perfectly since no walls were present so I assume there is glitch in TC.

One additional question.  My drawings are lighter than I would like when printed.  My line width is set at 0".  What is the best setting?  Also, will I be able to make a global change or will I have to do it element by element.

Roger,  Please share/upload the file. All the relevant files, if there are more than one.  Thanks-- Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* September 21, 2019, 10:15:56 AM
Alvin,

Also Roger, ensure that your Selector Tool is in "2D mode"-- that 2D Selector is active-- when doing the Mirror Copy.
You can confirm this by, with the Selector Tool active:  >Right-click for the Local Menu, and ensure the option "Selector 2D Properties..." is shown (as opposed to "Selector 3D Properties..."); >and ensure that there are no Z field boxes shown down in the Inspector Bar-- if they are present, your Selector is in "3D mode".

If you intend to draw 2D only-- and you very definitely should, for what you are trying to accomplish and with your TurboCAD ability level-- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, toggle the Selector Tool to 3D Selector "mode".  Just NEVER.  If you do, all sorts of problems will arise for you that you can't figure out how they happened and how to remedy them.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* September 21, 2019, 11:35:22 AM
Thanks Alvin.  3D is gone forever for me.

* September 21, 2019, 12:31:54 PM
Dont say that :)
3D is the future, but learn 2D first, sort of learn to walk before run :)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* September 21, 2019, 03:21:04 PM
Alvin,

Hello Roger.  Your most recent issue with the Walls not Mirror Copying correctly is probably not a "glitch in TC".  If you post the file(s), we can diagnose for you and tell you what you need to be doing correctly.

_________
On your second topic--
   Yeah, varied Pen Widths do make for much more professional level and easily decipherable plans.
For Walls (that will be on the Floorplan or Framing Plan sheets) I typically use a Pen Width of 1.5pt (1.5point).  I got in the habit early on-- two decades ago when I taught myself CAD-- to use Pt (point) Space Units for Pen Widths; it's just what first made the most easily-grasped/comprehensible sense to me.
   The "point" system is just another Space Unit system, such as millimeters, or feet, or inches, or mm, ', or ", etc.  A point is about (exactly?) 1/72 of an inch.  1.5point is the first/lowest value that will show "thicker" on my screen, with Device set as the Pen Width Scaling system.  (if this all sounds esoteric to you, just ignore it and move on...)  I like that it shows "thicker" on my screen, so I know that it actually will be "thicker", when printed.  I use other Pen Widths, but-- when I use less than 1.5pt (0.020833")-- I just sort of have to know and be confident in what they are going to look like, when printed.

_________
Attached below is Drawing of mine.  It's a very simple 2D House plan.  It's simple because it was just recordation of an "as-built" site-survey I did (I go through the whole house, exterior then interior, and measure and input), for use for the base of a remodel/addition design and plans.
Explore it some to get some tips.
It won't make any sense to you-- nor anyone-- if you don't activate the different Layer Sets in Modelspace.  I draw a lot of stuff stacked up on top of each other.
The "base" floorplan-- the one I originally inputted-- is the one on top of the Front Elevation.  This is the typical way of drawing a house in 2D that I taught myself, probably incorporating what I was taught in 4 years of pencil-on-paper high school drafting classes.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 22, 2019, 04:01:34 PM
Alvin,

Attached is the 2nd floor reversed drawing.  I reversed it, put everything in layers, and moved the walls so it is as I need it now.  Don't do any work on it.  Just see if you can determine why it still won't mirror correctly

Thanks.

* September 22, 2019, 09:06:06 PM
The Architectural tools can be a pain when mirroring or copying

Sometimes it is easier to redraw .

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

September 23, 2019, 03:49:11 AM
Thanks Alvin.  3D is gone forever for me.

Hi Roger,

if you are serious about this, then I would recommend upgrading to Designer 2019. 

It is available here:

https://www.turbocad.com/turbocad-windows/turbocad-2019-designer.html

What have you got to lose?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* September 23, 2019, 09:39:58 AM
Alvin,

Attached is the 2nd floor reversed drawing.  I reversed it, put everything in layers, and moved the walls so it is as I need it now.  Don't do any work on it.  Just see if you can determine why it still won't mirror correctly

Thanks.

Roger, I am reluctant to say it, but the drawing you just previously provided-- Second Floor reversed lot 152.TCW-- has some important issues.  Mainly the Walls that one would think need to, do not align with the Walls on the First Floor.  Particularly at the stairway it stands out.
In the below screen-capture, you can see that I inserted the (my revised) First Floor drawing into the Second Floor reversed lot 152.tcw drawing as an External Reference (aka: XRef).
I underlayed that First Floor drawing, changed it's color in this drawing to Light Blue, and turned off the me-created Layers of that First Floor drawing containing that First Floor drawing's Notes and Dimensions (for clarity).
A lot of second-floor Walls do not align with those of the First-floor.  I know that it is not necessary to have all the Walls align; but the exterior walls-- and the stairway in particular-- definitely do need to align, as you know.

I'll get back to you on the Mirror-Copying thing.  Any chance you could post the second-floor drawing file before you did the Mirror Copy.  If you Saved As... before doing so and didn't overwrite the file.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* September 23, 2019, 07:38:49 PM
A lot of second-floor Walls do not align with those of the First-floor.  I know that it is not necessary to have all the Walls align; but the exterior walls-- and the stairway in particular-- definitely do need to align, as you know.
-Alvin

Included in those 1st and 2nd Floor Walls that don't align is the plumbing walls behind and above the Master Bathroom double-sink vanity.
Those being 2x4 walls, as you know, it'd be best if those walls are stacked directly on top one another, so the vent pipes can be easily plumbed. Don't want the plumber pointing fingers at the framer who is pointing fingers at the general contractor who is pointing fingers at the draftsman.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 24, 2019, 05:35:12 PM
Alvin,

I changed all lines to 1.5 pt, and the lines look much thicker on the screen.. When printed, nothing changed.  They are still much lighter and thinner than desirable.

* September 25, 2019, 05:30:40 AM
Alvin,

I changed all lines to 1.5 pt, and the lines look much thicker on the screen.. When printed, nothing changed.  They are still much lighter and thinner than desirable.

To what device did you print?  A low-end home-printer?  TurboCAD's built-in "Save As... PDF"?  Another PDF writing program?
A lot of lower-end printers can't handle the particularities of vector graphics.  Some low and above physical printers have settings we need to adjust to handle the particularities of vector graphics, such as varying pen widths.
Have a "blueprint" printing company print it, it will probably print with the pen widths correctly printed.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 25, 2019, 07:55:19 AM
Alvin,

-I use TC save as PDF
-I send files to a commercial print shop.
-When I print at home on 8 1/2 X 11 there is not problem.  Lines are plenty dark

September 25, 2019, 01:13:16 PM
I use the (free) CutePDF printer driver, but it's not good for multi-page documents printed by TurboCAD (works fine with Office software).

I did use PrimoPDF for multi-page documents a few years ago.  It is also free.

Jeff