TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Problem Workplane
Read 508 times
* September 07, 2019, 05:04:55 PM
Doing some animation work I discovered that I couldnt set the workplane correctly to an object and subsequently had
inconsistent views through the Selector 3D Properties when trying to set the reference point for rotation. Rather than show a complex drawing from my fremantle drawings I decided to check an older drawing with similar features like this part of a gokarts steering system which demonstrates the problems that Im having.

Ive used some 2D profiles to identify the workplanes that Im working with and Ive setup some workplanes and they appear to be fine but the workplane for the left side pivot arm ( orange ) wont display correctly or at all. By using the show/hide workplane button its clear that the workplane for the "Steering-pivot" has not been set and Ive tried 3 times without success.

Any idea why ( as its the same issue with one of my fremantle drawings as I need to set: 1. a workplane and 2. user defined view or UCS from the 3D selector) ????

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* September 07, 2019, 05:40:07 PM
Doing some animation work I discovered that I couldnt set the workplane correctly to an object and subsequently had
inconsistent views through the Selector 3D Properties when trying to set the reference point for rotation. Rather than show a complex drawing from my fremantle drawings I decided to check an older drawing with similar features like this part of a gokarts steering system which demonstrates the problems that Im having.

Ive used some 2D profiles to identify the workplanes that Im working with and Ive setup some workplanes and they appear to be fine but the workplane for the left side pivot arm ( orange ) wont display correctly or at all. By using the show/hide workplane button its clear that the workplane for the "Steering-pivot" has not been set and Ive tried 3 times without success.

Any idea why ( as its the same issue with one of my fremantle drawings as I need to set: 1. a workplane and 2. user defined view or UCS from the 3D selector) ????

Click the "Fit Workplane to Window" icon. Works for me.

Henry H

* September 07, 2019, 06:19:07 PM
Thank you Henry for your reply, but I was wondering why I couldnt see a change in the workplane when toggling the show/hide workplane button. I was using the iso se view at the time and no apparent workplane changed or that I saw the workplane change.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:23:33 PM by Darryl W »

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* September 07, 2019, 06:48:03 PM
Based on the attached image Im wondering why I dont see a change in the workplane when Im in iso SE view when selecting different workplanes?

Daz

* September 07, 2019, 07:08:41 PM
Have you tried turning on Show(/Hide) Intersections [between Workplane and 3D Objects]?

Then zoom out some, and then "Fit Workplane to Window".

The intersections in Red are a good indicator-- if the active Workplane does in fact intersect with any currently displayed objects.

But I usually just rely on my User Coordinate System icon, and Relocate Origin sometimes to the Object I'm working on.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 07, 2019, 07:16:56 PM
Playing around with it some in version-20-- I get the same or similar results you are reporting Darryl.
In an Isometric View, Workplane Displayed, if I change my Workplane to a parallel plane to the current one, I do not see the Workplane Display red/dashed rectangle move or enlarge or shrink or anything.
But I do see the Workplane/3D_Objects intersections change, since I have that option activated.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 07, 2019, 08:17:25 PM
Alvin yeah its odd, wasnt using 3D/Objects as you know. Suprised you opened it up as its 2018pp file.

Was wondering if I should turn of the grid.

Daz

* September 07, 2019, 08:22:44 PM
Further that the real underlying issue is with the orange object where I want to animate, I have to keep changing the 3D selector from either user, or other views to get the correct reference point for rotation.

Daz