TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Inserting blocks
Read 664 times
* August 22, 2019, 06:04:40 AM
I am using TC 2019 pro platinum on Windows 10 pro running on a Lenovo E540 with 16G RAM
When I have created a block, and insert it back into a model, it invariably inserts rotated about at least one axis, often two relative to the original.  This is a minor annoyance, usually, since most of the time I want the block in the original orientation and I have to spend time rotating the  block back to the original rotation.  Does anyone know why this happens and a cure would be most welcome?

* August 22, 2019, 09:54:09 AM
I am using TC 2019 pro platinum on Windows 10 pro running on a Lenovo E540 with 16G RAM
When I have created a block, and insert it back into a model, it invariably inserts rotated about at least one axis, often two relative to the original.  This is a minor annoyance, usually, since most of the time I want the block in the original orientation and I have to spend time rotating the  block back to the original rotation.  Does anyone know why this happens and a cure would be most welcome?

Be cognizant of the Block's Workplane (Coordinate System) and the current active Modelspace Workplane (Coordinate System).

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 22, 2019, 03:50:25 PM
Be cognizant of the Block's Workplane (Coordinate System) and the current active Modelspace Workplane (Coordinate System).

Attached is a TurboCAD Drawing File I created that can be used for some experimenting and learning.
In it, there is a Block named "Orientation_Cube-1".  All sides are labeled with the first Letter of where those sides were/are when I created the Cube on the World Workplane (F= Front; R= Right; Ba= Back; etc.).
That Block's Insertion Reference Point is located X=0,Y=0,Z=0 (World Coordinate System).

In Modelspace there is a Solid Regular Dodecahedron.
Turn on your User Coordinate System icon... set it to "Show".
Set the Modelspace to any of the Dodecahedron's 12 Facets, using Workplane by Facet.
Insert the Block into Modelspace*, and you will see that the Cube's bottom facet is shares the same plane as that of the current Workplane facet, and/but the orientation rotates such that the Cube's inherent Coordinate System aligns with that of the respective axes of the current active Workplane.  Just click on the just-Inserted Cube Block, with the 3D Selector active, and you will see the Block's Selector Rotation Bars are aligned with that of the current Workplane.

Repeat for other Facets of the Dodecahedron.

Anyway...  Maybe if you play around with this some it will give you some sense of how this all works.

>Dragged the Block out of the Blocks Palette, into Modelspace, and hovered over the Construction Circle, until I saw the little "Center Snap" indicator, then clicked.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 22, 2019, 09:46:44 PM
This can get confusing.
I find it easier  to create all blocks on the world workplane.
If I need it on another workplane - select the block activate the workplane you want and place on workplane.(shif+alt+w)

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks