TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Hatching freeforms
Read 1155 times
* July 22, 2019, 01:28:04 PM
I need to produce an eps file for etching glass ware. The outer shape needs to be hatched in solid black while the central insignia need to appear background white. (Even hatched white might be a problem for CAM). The enclosed jpg shows this The first file 1E has the outline shape and the insignia on two layers with the insignia hatched in white against grey background, so they must be continuous outlines. The second file 1Ee has outline and insignia on one layer, but the outline will not hatch.. The third file is two layers again with the outline hatched' so it must have a continuous outline.
What I cannot do is to hatch the outline while leaving the insignia unhatched. Tried altering layer order without joy.
Really bugging me.

* July 22, 2019, 01:30:53 PM
TurdoCad version Deluxe 18.2

* July 22, 2019, 09:44:43 PM
This is what I do
Use closed polylines for each shape. Select the outer polyline,
 right click and go to properties. in the brush panel give it a hatch pattern - give it a slight transparency for now so that you can see the other polylines.

Use the 2d subtract to remove the hatch from the other outer polyline
https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TC18UG/pages/535890/2D+Subtract

pick point hatching should also work
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:51:01 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* July 24, 2019, 12:56:24 AM
Do all the objects have to be on the same layer? My version of TurboCad does not show the same Properites window as that shown in the TurboCad notes. I have put layers to-gether in the past without being clear how I did it.

* July 24, 2019, 11:23:16 PM
No Just the same workplane.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* July 25, 2019, 12:58:10 PM
Hi Nikki
I was becoming suspicious that there might be a 3D element to the project which started out for engraving and as an EPS file probably became flat. All five elements can be hatched but get rejected by boolean ops. Anyway I can flatten the drawing without a major redraw.?

* July 25, 2019, 10:10:25 PM
In TC mirroring or rotating an object can change the direction and position of the objects workplane it's not 3d because it is still flat.
Try this
1.select them all.
2.use the hot keys  ctrl+alt+w - this makes your current work plane the world workplane
3.then shift+alt+w - this places the selected items on the current workplane.

try pick point hatching before boolean subtract. -it is quicker when it works.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* July 29, 2019, 01:02:04 PM
Cracked it. Thanks Nikki.