TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Rounding Corners on 3D Surface
Read 1721 times
* June 19, 2019, 09:51:16 PM
My usual disclosure - still a newbie and trying to teach myself by doing things...

I have the curved shape/surface in the attached file.  It was created by drawing an arc and then adjusting the thickness to get an 83mm long arc shape.  (This file is saved from a working document that has other non-relevant bits in it that I deleted out.  I also forgot to turn off the part tree so there is PT info in there.)

I am trying to round the 4 corners of the curved shape/surface so that they are not sharp 90 points but cannot work out how.  Ideas?

What I am ultimately trying to do it to create a solid by LOFTING the circle to the curved surface using some guidelines that I am yet to draw in.

June 20, 2019, 12:03:16 AM
The most straightforward method, to me, is to make sure that Auto Workplane by Face is turned off (really a moot point for this particular drawing as there are no plane facets, but it is included for completeness when someone else tries to adapt this to another task).

Invoke the Workplane by 3 Points command and click on 3 corners of the curved surface.

Set View / Camera / Plan / By Workplane (this menu hierarchy may not exist if you have a different user workspace).  Alternatively, press Ctrl+Shift+W.  This will set up your view so that you are looking at the curved surface with all its corners equally 'distant' from the screen (just call it 'head on').

Draw a Rectangle by snapping to two diagonal corners, then Fillet2D the corners to the desired amount of curvature.

Invoke the Simple Extrude command (you'll want to set one of the Isometric views for ease of use) and extend the rounded Rectangle over the curved shape.

Invoke the 3D Boolean Operations / 3D Intersect command (usually found under the Modify or Modify / 3D menu), follow the instructions and voila.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 20, 2019, 02:13:22 AM
You my friend are a dead set legend!  Thank you.   :)

I spent 4 hours this afternoon trying to work that one out.  I did end up down a very similar path but still had issues.

June 20, 2019, 03:38:14 AM
You're welcome.  I'm happy to be useful.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 20, 2019, 03:39:59 AM
More playing but still not at the end goal.

Attached is the file of where I am up to.  I have a cylinder that needs to the lofted to the shape of the BOTTOM of the lower curved section.  I have put in guidelines to determine the path of lofting.  As lofting needs to be between two 2D objects I have placed a circle on teh front of the cylinder.  The issue I am having is with the lower solid.  I have been unsuccessful in converting it to something that the loft command can use.  To the right of the main object I have my attempt at creating the required surface but it is just a group of individual solids.  I also have a feeling that loft will not work in this case anyway as my lower shape is effectively a 3D object.

Need some advice as to where to go with this.  Is it even possible to merge the cylinder into the lower shape??

*** EDIT ***
Why am I trying to loft into the lower 3D solid.  I think all I need to do is create a flat 2D object being the top of the lower solid, do the loft then 3D Add all three 3D objects into one......I think (amazing what a walk around and coffee can do!....I think)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:44:41 AM by MK1_OZ »

June 20, 2019, 03:54:05 AM
You've got two main problems.

1. The Cylinder is a TC Surface while the other two objects are ACIS Solids (one with and the other without history).  TurboCAD will not perform any of the operations between a Surface and a Solid.

2. There is something wrong with each of the Solid objects.  I separated them and tried Face 2 Face Loft on each; both failed.  I then used the Extract Entity / Extract face function to take the top facet, move it up 1 mm and give it 1 mm of thickness.  This lofted to the new Cylinder just fine.

Use the Cylinder function in Solid mode to re-create it.  Re-create the sliced pad, too.  Hopefully, this time, you won't have a problem joining the two.

Jeff

* June 20, 2019, 09:45:18 PM
Hi all.  I have redrawn the file from scratch having made a few dimensional changes.  I successfully managed to loft and created 3 solid sections that I needed to 3D Add.  Two added nicely but the third (the small curved section) will not add to the large part.  I really cannot see why.  Any ideas?

Also, when you open the file you will see (in rendered form) about 2/3 from left to right and about half way up, there is a long white line.  I thought this was just an artifact but it stays there with zooming.  I created the loft using the Construction layer and without having 'Use Compund Profiles' on as it would not loft with that selected.  Is this a real whole/split in my solid or an artifact/error in the rendering??  Not sure how to tell.

TC Plat Pro 2018

June 21, 2019, 12:59:55 AM
First off, refrain from turning off the visibility of Layer 0.  TurboCAD uses it for several things, not just lighting.

In the original file, I could not 3D Add the two pieces, either.

I moved the smaller piece 1 mm and tried Face2Face Lofting and Extrude To Face; both failed.

I then tried Quick Pull on the flat facet of the smaller piece (1 mm, because that's how far I moved it).  The resulting object could be 3D Added to the larger piece.

I'm inclined to think that the original smaller object is fooling TurboCAD's algorithms by having a zero-thickness edge between the flat facet on one side and the curved surface on the other side.  This would explain why a Quick Pull (which added a non-zero-width facet in between them) worked.

If 1 mm is too much, you could experiment with a smaller gap.

Jeff

* June 21, 2019, 01:05:11 AM
Interesting.  I will play with that.  Adding 1mm doesn't matter as the extra 1mm will be inside the larger object and therefore absorbed.

Any thoughts on the white 'artifact' area?  I have noticed when looking in 'Suppress Hidden Lines' mode that there are marks/artifacts all over it.  Not sure if they effect the solid or not i.e. unsmooth surface.

EDIT:
When I zoom in where the rounded corner of the 2 solids meet it doesn't actually look like they match very well at all.  Is this the issue or is that just a rendering anomaly of being zoomed in so far?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:48:34 AM by MK1_OZ »

June 21, 2019, 02:12:52 AM
As for the artifact, I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are seeing.

Try playing around with the ACIS Quality setting (that fixed a rendering problem I had with a Sweep of a Circle along a Spline).

Jeff

* June 21, 2019, 10:19:18 AM
I saw a rip in Plan View when I zoomed in to 400%±.
I went to a Bottom View with perspective, then Dynamic Zoomed into the interior of the object. Worrisome looking in a Raytrace Full render.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

June 21, 2019, 03:08:14 PM
We've probably seen the same thing and it is similar to a problem I posted earlier this week.  Adjust the ACIS settings to be more precise.  Be careful, however, as making it too precise will vastly increase the processing time.

Alternatively, you could place some intermediate 2D objects as guides for the loft.  I'd experiment with Section views that have been Exploded to a single Polyline (Section views are Groups with both filled and unfilled Polylines, so they have to be Exploded and the filled Polyline deleted).

Jeff

* June 21, 2019, 07:09:00 PM
The ACIS engine--or something!--is not as good as in earlier versions. Attached screenshot shows this object rendered in OpenGL mode in v2018 and in v20. I didn't fiddle with the Faceter Quality settings at all.

Henry H

* June 21, 2019, 08:59:07 PM
Thanks for the input all.  When changing the ACIS quality settings will I need to re-loft the item or will the new settings be applied to the already lofted solid?  I already had the ACIS quality on 90 and tolerance to 0.1.  Will go play more....

The rip you see, John R, is one of the ones I see.  If you go to Hidden Line view you will see black marks all over the solid surface which I assume are more rips/tears/faults.

I am going to try to put this shape into ANSYS Fluent to get a feel for how air will flow through it (the solid is obviously a port i.e. inverse) and I have no idea how these small faults may impact things.

I stillhave teh issue of not being able to get the small curved section to 3D Add with the main body.  Zooming right in at a corner junction between the 2 it looks like the loft did not exactly match to two profiles.  This should not stop a 3D Add however.  Still trying things.  I feel a little like the janitor trying to prevent the Chernobyl reactor from blowing!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:07:04 PM by MK1_OZ »

* June 22, 2019, 01:16:28 AM
Never a good look to reply to your own message but I thought I would provide an update.

I found that Jeffins solution worked to a point.  I had to move the small curved section into the main body by close to 1mm before 3D Add worked.  This was not suitable as it ruined the final object.

I tried to scale by small insignificant amounts also but again no luck.

Having searched the forums I separately copied the 2 3d objects to a fresh new drawing.  Using a combination of Assemble by Facet and plain old Delta-X,Y,Z I got it as close to lined up as I could before the dreaded error came up.  How close, Y & Z are spot on.  X is out by 0.000001mm!!!  Close enough for me for now.

Now I just need to find out if the tears and rips are going to cause an issue.

Cheers to all.