TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Wood grain wrap
Read 1777 times
* June 19, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
I'm trying to wrap the attached image, I believe the size is 745 x 1069 px or 9.93"x 14.25". I followed the directions for ST. Layout, but I've did something wrong and the result is not what I expected. See the attached v2018 file. Any ideas please.

Thanks
Don.

2015 was the last year I used Lightworks and I've forgot most of what I had learned back then.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* June 19, 2019, 12:25:44 PM
This is what I got in 2018 using ST Layout. I got the image size from PSP. I got the "Offset" number from the object in the drawing (half the size).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:28:14 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 19, 2019, 12:43:04 PM
Not sure what you expected, Don. Does this help ...?

Henry H

* June 19, 2019, 08:48:05 PM
John R & Henry H, thanks for your input. I have a lot of reading to do on the subject. There are your 2 answers with 2 sets of values and I followed another example with a different set.
How did you arrive at your answers. I'll look for a seamless texture which may help.

Thanks again
Don.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

June 19, 2019, 09:32:10 PM

* June 19, 2019, 10:59:49 PM
Hi Don, See if anything in this TC Tips helps. See pages 4 -8

http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD%20Tips/TurboCAD%20Tip%2014.pdf

Hi Don,

I've been reading thru those tips, but without much luck so far. I'll keep reading until I understand what all the values mean.

Don.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* June 20, 2019, 12:01:27 PM
This is what I got in 2018 using ST Layout. I got the image size from PSP. I got the "Offset" number from the object in the drawing (half the size).

I got the Width x Height from the attached.

How did you get the values in the 'S' offset & 'T' offset fields.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:06:26 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* June 20, 2019, 05:09:51 PM

I'm looking at page 5 of the tips, what do you do the setings in Fitered Wrapped Images.

Thanks
Don

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

June 20, 2019, 07:18:36 PM

I'm looking at page 5 of the tips, what do you do the setings in Fitered Wrapped Images.

Thanks
Don

That is just where the image is selected. All the settings are default there.

June 20, 2019, 07:44:30 PM
The image is too small to cover your panel at its pixel to inch size so here is what I did.

1) I rotated the image 90 degrees so I could think about the process with X being the length and Y being the height. This is not necessary as you can rotate the image via the STLayout settings, but it easier to think out logically if you do.

2. I did a pixel to inch calculation using 96dpi (here is a calculator: https://www.ninjaunits.com/converters/pixels/pixels-inches/)

3. First attached image shows the X (S) and Y (T) image size in inches with no offset.

4. Second image shows the S and T scale at twice  the original size and the S & T offset set to half (or the original size in this case).

5. Third image shows the result. If the scale of the grain on the panel is too big, you need to tweak the scale, by experimenting as shown in the tip keeping in mind that S cale may not translate well, while the T scale may be fine based on the image grain itself, with the timber butt together lines.

6. Note that seamless images work best, but they are not as plentiful as one would like.

EDIT: you can find the image pixel size by hovering your cursor over it. May need to select it first. See last image.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:46:51 PM by Don Cheke »

June 20, 2019, 08:09:39 PM
You could also use the equations in the tip, but you will still need to scale up and offset. Here is is 4X

* June 20, 2019, 09:45:17 PM

LightWorks ST Layout will normally place the 'center' of the image at the bottom-left corner of the object. I used the S & T Offset's to move the image to the center of the object; think X & Y direction.

See the pictures at the end of the "ST Layout" page in LightWorks Help (click on the green question mark) to see how the TC Test Pattern lines up with the Box (1m or 39.37008 in square) in the Render Manager.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 21, 2019, 08:31:35 AM
The image is too small to cover your panel at its pixel to inch size so here is what I did.

1) I rotated the image 90 degrees so I could think about the process with X being the length and Y being the height. This is not necessary as you can rotate the image via the STLayout settings, but it easier to think out logically if you do.

2. I did a pixel to inch calculation using 96dpi (here is a calculator: https://www.ninjaunits.com/converters/pixels/pixels-inches/)

3. First attached image shows the X (S) and Y (T) image size in inches with no offset.

4. Second image shows the S and T scale at twice  the original size and the S & T offset set to half (or the original size in this case).

5. Third image shows the result. If the scale of the grain on the panel is too big, you need to tweak the scale, by experimenting as shown in the tip keeping in mind that S cale may not translate well, while the T scale may be fine based on the image grain itself, with the timber butt together lines.

6. Note that seamless images work best, but they are not as plentiful as one would like.

EDIT: you can find the image pixel size by hovering your cursor over it. May need to select it first. See last image.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the screenshot examples, they certainly help. I'll spend some time this weekend absorbing all the info.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* June 21, 2019, 08:34:36 AM

LightWorks ST Layout will normally place the 'center' of the image at the bottom-left corner of the object. I used the S & T Offset's to move the image to the center of the object; think X & Y direction.

See the pictures at the end of the "ST Layout" page in LightWorks Help (click on the green question mark) to see how the TC Test Pattern lines up with the Box (1m or 39.37008 in square) in the Render Manager.

Thanks John,

there's more reading to do.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10