TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Slice by surface fails to produce acis objects
Read 1668 times
* June 09, 2019, 03:19:55 PM
The final part of my fremantle boat design for the upperdeck animation needs to have the boat number ( 211 ) added to the boats bow and stern, and I originally decided to add the extruded text on both sides but I couldnt get it to bend to path accurately so that I could 3D add to either side ( I did get the bend to path close but on closer inspection I discovered that using a spline with fit points just distorted the shape ) so I just decided to do it in a different manner.

So after extruding the 3D text and then turning to a somewhat perpendicular manner to the boats bow, I then used the extract face from body of both the inner and outer surfaces of the boats hull ( port and starboard ), then moved away the outer solid object for both port and starboard hulls by 5mm, then converted these asic solid objects to surfaces, then turned off options -> degernative faceting and create part tree. Then sliced by surface using the inner surface for each internal boat hull and then sliced again for the outer surfaces that were move by 5mm  and it worked fine.

Both 3D objects clearly show that theyve been sliced all the way through with a suitable object that can be 3D added to each side of the bow, but both the 3D objects are still attached and not separated into 3 distinct acis objects as expected.

Slicebysurface3,png clearly shows that the slice worked but the acis object is 1 solid yet the original 3D object was sliced 2 times, any idea why I got this result?

Attached the Fremantle-boat-bow.tcw for review

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* June 09, 2019, 03:52:01 PM
Your slicing surfaces actually have  nonzero thicknesses. You could Explode the "sliced" object and delete the unwanted fragments, or select one face of each slicer (with the Facet Editor) and apply Create Surface>From Face(s).

Henry H

* June 09, 2019, 04:41:17 PM
Thank you Henry

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* June 09, 2019, 06:31:58 PM
Thank you Henry

You're welcome, Daz. But before you ask: I don't know why Slice by Surface seems to work in that drawing. I'm unable to reproduce that behavior in a new drawing with new objects. But if I copy-and-paste one of your slicers into that new drawing, it does sorta work. The result is actually like a 3D-Intersect, with both operands surviving the operation.

Henry H

* June 09, 2019, 07:46:47 PM
I should have checked the non zero acis objects 1st. Didnt think to explode either object either. Now for the real work to come.

Daz

* June 09, 2019, 07:57:10 PM
Henry just as a matter of interest, could bend to path operate on the say the port side extruded object and bend in a generally a vertical and then a horizontal direction to achieve a similar result?

Like I mentioned in my 1st post I got really close to an acceptable result in my initial attempt using bend to path by just using a spline. But after successive attempts I lost my initial direction and never got anywhere close again.

Daz

* June 09, 2019, 08:09:17 PM
Henry just as a matter of interest, could bend to path operate on the say the port side extruded object and bend in a generally a vertical and then a horizontal direction to achieve a similar result?

Like I mentioned in my 1st post I got really close to an acceptable result in my initial attempt using bend to path by just using a spline. But after successive attempts I lost my initial direction and never got anywhere close again.

Not sure, Daz. But if asked to guess, I'd say Yes.

Henry H