TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Animation Question
Read 1660 times
* February 28, 2019, 02:29:23 PM
Hello everyone, I have been having fun slowly learning a little with TurboCAD and now also Animation Lab.
My question is this: In Key Frames Editor, I can switch to PLAY mode expecting to see something happen with the forward/reverse buttons to my model, Show Frame turned on or off, nothing happens. I did produce a movie but I cannot review.

Thanks - Bob

TC19, TC24, Lightworks, TC2018Deluxe, TC2018 PP + Animation Lab

* February 28, 2019, 03:13:38 PM
Can you post a sample file or some screen clips?
Also some screen clips of your AniLab Frame options and Movie Options also?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* March 01, 2019, 02:16:10 AM
In Key Frames Editor, I can switch to PLAY mode expecting to see something happen with the forward/reverse buttons to my model, Show Frame turned on or off, nothing happens. I did produce a movie but I cannot review.

Bob,  It sounds like you have pressed the play button on the keyframe section of AnimationLab.  This is for reviewing single or multiple actors one frame at a time.    hence the next frame / previous frame buttons.  It works on the selected keyframe frame number for an actor or multiple actors.  The highlighted cell, is the one which is darker than any of the others on any actors timeline.

The show frame button on the keyframe editor, is simply to show an actor (or multiple actors) at one point in time, along the timeline.

Are you simply trying to review the animation, and check how an actor is moving etc.   or are you wishing to run it and save to disk.

Andy

* March 01, 2019, 03:12:25 AM
Hi Andy, thanks for your quick reply. I did produce an animation but I plan on doing more with it hence I need to know how to review it step by step. But I can't even post the animation I have so far. I have tried 3 times. It seems to go when I post but I can't find it. Looks like I'm doing something wrong here.

Moderator note (Andy).  Bob sent me the file which was 16Mb.  there were five revolutions so I edited it down to 3, and removed an audio track (which didn't play anything for me). this got the file size way down, so I edited bobs post to include the animation. - Bob still requires assistance with 'step through'.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:41:21 AM by Andy H »

* March 01, 2019, 04:08:33 AM
I can't even post the animation I have so far. I have tried 3 times. It seems to go when I post but I can't find it. Looks like I'm doing something wrong here.

It could just be a forum glitch  There is a file size limit, which used to be 4Mb, but they changed it to allow larger files, though I don't know what the new limit is.

If you still have problem posting it.  send it to me, and I'll have a look at it, and I'll give it go at getting it on the forum, for others to check it as well.  my e-mail is andyjh1 [at] btinternet [dot] com,  (change the obvious bits).  Use the title  - Bob from TC forum. 

Andy

* March 01, 2019, 09:51:38 AM
I sent bob an e-mail reply, but I have reproduced here for all to see.  and comment on.   I edited bobs post above to include the MP4 animation bob had done.

Bob.  The drawing, render and animation, all look great.

HI Bob. 

Hope you don’t mind, I cut your video down to three revolutions and reduced its size a bit, and removed the audio track (which didn’t play any sound for me) to get it to a size suitable for the forum.  I posted it in your existing forum thread.

For posting animation, unless they are just small gif animations,  I tend to use YouTube. Its free to set up a channel, and post ones own video’s.  Then I just post a link to the video on the forum.    It probably failed to post due the file size exceeding the limits.

I’ve posted the animation in your thread on the forum, so others can comment. But reproduced my reply below.

As for stepping through an animation, it depends on how they are created.

If it is just keyframes,   I’ve not known this to fail as long as the highlighted cell is on the correct actor.  However If checking multiple actors, click to highlight an actors keyframe, hold down the shift key, and select another actor, vertically above or below it, on the same vertical frame.  This will select multiple actors, both the two clicked and any in between.  One can then switch the play mode and use Step forward.   For all the actors, click the frame heading (above the actor timelines), will select a whole column.

If Commands are used, that more tricky.  One cannot step through commands,   The two ways I know of the ‘Step through’ commands are.  Pause the animation after every frame,  (using a single line custom script to display a message). Or.  On simple commands (move / rotate), playing a single frame, Then playing again without undoing, resetting or altering anything 

Command stepping is a bit of a pain. Maybe someone else knows a simpler way.
Have fun
Andy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:57:38 AM by Andy H »

March 01, 2019, 12:46:36 PM
Bob,

I was just wondering, if you were hoping to step through a rendered animation, or are just looking for a wireframe view?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

* March 03, 2019, 04:23:25 AM
Hi Tim and others. Let's assume my animation is done and I successfully created an animation both in wireframe and QR. So now in wireframe mode I want to see movement at a special spot in the timeline. So I highlight a particular cell or group of cells and then click on the Play mode button which then activates the for\rew buttons. Clicking any of these does nothing, so I hit the Show Frames button and still nothing. Where would the frames be shown?
When I highlight an actor, the corresponding graphic in my model does get selected so it appears AL is communicating with TC.
So that is my dilemma. I appreciate your help.
Thanks again Andy.
Regards - Bob

March 03, 2019, 05:28:35 AM
Okay, which version of AniLab are you using?
And, it might help enormously if you could post the TurboCAD file.
Is this possible?

Regards Tim

Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* March 03, 2019, 07:35:28 AM
Where would the frames be shown?

The play keyframe, is show in the normal TC window, possibly best to be in wireframe rather than quality render, or will re-render the screen every time one clicks fwd/rev (when it is working).    I just gave it a go in v2018 and it worked fine for me.   

I would certainly follow Tim's advice.     

* March 04, 2019, 06:37:21 AM
Hi Tim & Andy, I'm running TC2018 PP + AnLab v5.0
Here is the file.....
It's 5 mb I hope it goes.......

March 04, 2019, 09:31:33 AM
Hi Tim & Andy, I'm running TC2018 PP + AnLab v5.0
Here is the file.....
It's 5 mb I hope it goes.......

Hi Bob,

your file uploaded just fine, so no problems there.
Without reiterating contents of the AniLab help files, it is clear where you are perhaps not understanding the basics of this plug-in. 
Don't worry, it happens to us all!
I would also highly recommend spending some time reading Andy's excellent help file, available from here:

http://www.woodturningcad.co.uk/tcstuff.html

Basically, you have chosen to animate using the built-in commands(good job), but also want to use the Keyframes Editor to replay the action. 
Put simply, this will not work as too many conflicts arise. 
It is better to use one method or the other. 
You can mix the commands and Keyframes edited frames but not by duplicating particular bits of Animation commands, if that makes sense..

To replay animation using the Key Frames Editor, you really need to use this option to animate. 
You have made a start by entering the initial frame, without progressing further along the various time-lines and adding additional keyframes.

Anyway, I hope this points you in the correct direction.
Have a read.
If you get stuck further, feel free to ask again.

Regards Tim all
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:48:17 AM by Tim Stewart »