TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Select by...
Read 5130 times
May 11, 2009, 09:12:12 PM
...Material

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

May 11, 2009, 09:27:44 PM
...Material

Hi Julian, Perhaps you are hoping for something more, but TC already has this function on the Materials palette. Select object, then find material and select - see attachments.

[attachment deleted by admin]

May 12, 2009, 08:28:11 PM
Seems like a fairly clunky way of doing it, scrolling through hundreds of materials to find the one you want. I would like it to be one of the options in the "Select by" menu, ie it lists only the materials I've used.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:54:37 AM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* May 15, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
I don't think that this will be possible to do.  Remember, that with Materials, you can define multiple material types to different faces on a single object.  Essentially, this defines a many-to-many relationship on a single object, which thereby makes searching and selecting by material very difficult to do.

In contrast, you can think how colors work with a 3D object.  With color, you can only define a single color per  3D object.  That is why color is a property that can be 'Selected by'

* May 15, 2009, 11:04:57 AM
re: Seems like a fairly clunky way of doing it, scrolling through hundreds of materials to find the one you want.

I don't find it clunky. You select an object in the drawing, click on the "Find Material of Selection" icon or choose it in the palettes local menu. The category for the assigned material opens in the palette and the material is highlighted when your cursor is within the palette. No scrolling necessary.

As Bob mention, this feature won't work on an object that has multiple materials assigned to it.

John R. 

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* May 15, 2009, 12:20:46 PM
Actually I tend to agree with Julian.  Perhaps one of the lists on the materials palette pull-down should be "In Drawing" which would list just he materials used in the opened drawing, regardless of which object they are used on.    Both Sketchup and TurboFloorPlan have this additional list and it really does speed things up when it comes to fine tuning materials.

* May 15, 2009, 03:10:38 PM
re: Both SketchUp and TurboFloorPlan have this additional list and it really does speed things up when it comes to fine tuning materials.

Yes it would. I've seen this in LWArchiveAuthor, but I've never pushed for it. Getting rid of the sliders seemed a bigger priority.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

May 18, 2009, 03:46:13 AM
Bob, John - fair comments and I  fully understand what you're saying. What I mean when I say clunky, and why I put it in wish list, stems from the following scenario: I have an assembly of approx 450-500 components (possibly more, see pic left), each that I've drawn over about 6 years, using different materials, some that are standard but most are custom made/modified.

When consolidating an assembly of parts from numerous computers or seperate hard drives, I find I end up with 3 versions of chrome, or 8 types of metallic blue etc.

The material pallet is "clunky" if you have many components with different materials and wish to change a material or material category to something else. Even if a component's new material assignment is used elsewhere in the drawing you may still need to scroll through 100's of materials to find it.

Example: That assembly (left) has one component of "ceramic jt2" - I'm blowed if I know which one and I'm not going to click the "Find Material of Selection" for every single part until I find it.

I still think "select by material" or Dave's "In Drawing" option  for the material pallet is a must. Can't objects of multiple materials simply be listed as "mixed"?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:06:56 AM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

* May 18, 2009, 12:29:30 PM
Yes, Dave's 'In Drawing' option seems like a good first step in addressing this issue