TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Assembly of separate files
Read 2689 times
* June 01, 2009, 02:04:52 PM
   I have redrawn some old drawings for a Quorn Tool Cutter Grinder. I've had the castings stored in the shop for about 20 years or more and just never had the time to machine them. With respect to George Thomas, his drawings such as I have left were not quite adequate for me. Some of the castings have walked away over the years so I have been guessing and drawing  what was missing. In there lies my problem.
   I have about a dozen files of parts that I would like to assemble into a rendered picture just so I can see what it looks like. An assembled drawing in wireform just looks like a ball of twine. Rendering the complete assembled tool is impossible. knew that before I started.
   Is ther a way to assemble the JPG's or files within TC or do I need another program and if so what? The best idea so far comes from my 8year old Great Niece who suggested I just print out the pictures and She would cut them out and glue them together. I like this idea from the warm and fuzzy side but is there another way?
   The 2 Attachments may give you an idea. Sorry for the lighting ineptness. Thanks for your help, John

[attachment deleted by admin]

John Kampen

Win 10 - 2018 Pro Platinum
Win 10 - 2019 Pro Platinum

June 01, 2009, 06:44:43 PM
John,
Have you tried opening multiple files and cutting and pasting from one to the other.  Select the contents of one file, then select EDIT, COPY just like you would do in a word processor.  Navigate to the receiving drawing, then select EDIT PASTE.  The parts will drop into the receiving file, but will need to be moved around to where you want them.  Repeat for the other files until you have the entire assembly.

BTW, I seem to remember at least one book on the Quorn and have seen it in magazine articles over the years.  It is a well known and well-respected tool system.  Missing bits should be able to be found.  Let me know if I can be of help in this area.

Rendering the complete assembly should be do-able if you would like to go that way.

Hoping this helps,
Todd.

Todd Snouffer
Littlelocos Model Engineering
www.LITTLELOCOS.com

* June 01, 2009, 08:05:03 PM
John, Todd's right, you should be able to cut and paste to assemble it in one drawing, and even hidden line renders will give you a good impression of what the assembly looks like.  I got started with technical drawings through another of the Model Engineer machine series in the mid '70s.  A retired engineer named Tom Jacobs had devised a gear hobbing machine that got so much attention at the British Model Engineer Exhibition, he agreed to write a construction series.  Jacobs admitted that his tech drawing abilities were limited and from memory, George Thomas drew the thing for him!  Or maybe a Professor Chaddock who was another regular contributor.  I couldn't decipher the ortho views of components or assemblies so started sketching isometrics of them to help myself visualise them.  CAD followed naturally from that.  I think I actually built that in TC in V6.  I'll dig it out.

* June 01, 2009, 09:24:34 PM
Thanks Todd, I've tried copying the files into one file but  It's the rendering that's the problem.  There's just too much (info) for it to work. John

John Kampen

* June 01, 2009, 09:33:45 PM
Murray, Thanks too, but it's seems to be the content of the files ( number of fascets maybe ) . Several of the individual files will just barely ( reasonable time ) render.  It's not important just an annoyance. John

John Kampen