TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Flexing Prop
Read 960 times
February 18, 2019, 08:45:15 AM
For a model plane with a gas engine, the size next larger than an .049, showing the concept such that I’ve not gone through the numbers but intend to build on a 3D printer.

Each blade has a twist feathering from large ellipse at the hub to a more angled slender ellipse having a slight bow toward the rear much like a fishing rod under load so centrifugal force & thrust the blades are run at perpendicular to engine shank. 

Each blade has two defectors stopping air from spilling off just as wings on commercial units,  The hub has a 7 Morris degree taper to transmit torque - same as milling machines but easy to remove.

The clear dome can be pried off against the detent ring gaining access to the screw & prop.

* February 19, 2019, 01:54:04 AM
Nice work on the propeller Bob.  I'm curious though. I know nothing about propellers, and wondered.  Is the purpose of the deflectors (triangular bits on the ends), simply to channel the air,  or do they add stability.  As I say I'm just curios.

Andy

* February 19, 2019, 12:14:29 PM
I remember .049 control line speed and combat from 45 years ago, and the prop tips were cut back to try bring them under trans-sonic speed, because otherwise they were incredibly noisy, producing a sound like a Guinness book of records attempt at the most people cracking whips simultaneously, which didn't make neighbours or municipal council officers happy.   I never worked it out at the time, but with a 7" prop and the speed of sound at 335 m/s, it would take about 36K rpm for that to happen. 

February 19, 2019, 04:04:51 PM
Ah yes, the humble .049 engine, back in the day (1954) my older brother & I would start ours up on Saturdays at about 6:00 A.M. off our rear porch, our apartment building enclosed a square with some others.  The deafening sound would echo off the brick walls waking up the dead (sleepy heads). 

Then in the winter we’d go down to a lonely deep frozen pit that filled up with rainwater, large square excavations for the new Eisenhower expressway a year before workmen finished the new highway. That area was good for flying our planes having smooth and level areas, no grumpy neighbors either.

February 19, 2019, 04:38:24 PM
Andy:

They’d act to channel the generated wind from simply spilling radically off the prop purposing much like the ends on a commercial wing tip.  I don’t know if it that helps efficacy much considering at start-up having to slide your fingers on the trailing edge - a reason to keep obstruction (uprights) inboard the prop’s outline configuration.