TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Unfold Face tool
Read 601 times
* January 12, 2019, 08:39:00 AM
I can use this tool to unfold the face of a partial straight cylinder ( think half of a beer can) , but not the face of a tapered cylinder (airplane turtledeck). Is this possible?

* January 12, 2019, 09:47:19 AM
It works for me. Can you post the .tcw in which it seems not to work?

Henry H

* January 13, 2019, 02:42:30 PM
Here is a test file. As you can see the straight cylinder unfolded. I cannot select the tapered cylinder with the tool.

I am using proplatinum 21

* January 13, 2019, 04:56:52 PM
Here is a test file. As you can see the straight cylinder unfolded. I cannot select the tapered cylinder with the tool.

I am using proplatinum 21

After fiddling with this for a while, I've concluded that the Start Angles and End Angles must be identical for the two circular arcs you lofted to create the tapered cylinder. I guess that otherwise the object is not a "ruled surface" and therefore cannot be flattened.

Henry H

* January 19, 2019, 12:31:43 PM
Thank you for looking into it Henry. I tried unfolding a loft created by scaling the larger arc down to create the smaller arc. This worked, the start and end angles identical.  I then modified the start and end angles of the smaller arc, from the example that would not work,  to match the larger arc. I did this in the selection info window.  Once again I could not select the loft to unfold. It appears that this tool will only work if the arcs used are concentric.             

* January 19, 2019, 12:43:42 PM
Thank you for looking into it Henry. I tried unfolding a loft created by scaling the larger arc down to create the smaller arc. This worked, the start and end angles identical.  I then modified the start and end angles of the smaller arc, from the example that would not work,  to match the larger arc. I did this in the selection info window.  Once again I could not select the loft to unfold. It appears that this tool will only work if the arcs used are concentric.           

There seems to be more to it than that. I created an arbitrary arc, made a copy and displaced it in the X and Z directions, then lofted. The result unfolded with no problem.

Another way to create a tapered cylinder is with the Cone tool, which offers many options. Some of these produce unfoldable objects and some don't -- and I have not figured out why.

Henry H