TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

DWG Export Problems
Read 12378 times
* May 31, 2009, 02:31:32 PM
I have spent many hours developing architectural plans in TC15.2. The time has come to send these to another engineer, who uses AutoCAD, as a DWG file but when I do so the results are too garbled to be of any use.

The recipient of the file tells me he is unable to make sense of the .DWG file. I have tried viewing the DWG file using Autodesk's free file viewer (DWG TrueView 2008) and I can see what he means. Objects are shifted. Shading is missing. Objects have changed layers. Layer order has been lost. Paper spaces are useless. Its the same if I export to DXF.

If I reopen the exported DWG or DXF file in TurboCAD the results are also garbled, though not quite as badly as when viewing it from the other side (using TrueView).

What do I do now. I bought TurboCAD, believing it to be a viable alternate to AutoCAD, but it seems I may have been mistaken.

HELP
Sean

* May 31, 2009, 06:29:00 PM
What you think about going with pdf.file,or save in 2000 dwg.format,or send the file to IMSI to look over,If the original tcw. file is in tack start over,do a recovery from bak.file if need be.It all depends on the condition of the file.It sounds like a really broken file and a real mess.This isn't uncommon.I wouldn't try clean up it may take to much time unless you don't have a another choice.. Worse case scenario it may not be fixable.It hard say with out the file.Chances are the AC user got one these dialogs when he tried to open TC dwg.file The other thing is that the file could crash Autocad.And rendering materials might not come from the ride ether. been down your road before myself.I find that more complex the drawing is when these kind thing happens, it gets worse and might have to do a reinstallation of the software.You spelled it out so precisely in detail of these defects.I was quite impress.My guess is the dwg.format needs to be overhauled.You shouldn't have go through this.No drawing should have to be reworked or worked around.It should appear as it was built.Its good thing you did a screening  in dwg viewer at that point would be good indication of problems and modification need to be taken to task.

What Is TrustedDWG?

"This identifies files that Autodesk may not be able to support and alerts the user that Autodesk cannot guarantee the integrity or compatibility of that DWG file with AutoCAD or any other Autodesk application."

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:17:41 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* June 01, 2009, 03:23:00 PM
The file is not completely broken - I can reopen the TCW file and work in TC15 format, but not so the DWG file. I have tried exporting a much simpler drawing and I get similar results. So, for me at least, export to AutoCAD just doesn't work. What do you mean when you say :"My guess is the dwg.format needs to be overhauled"?
Sean

* June 01, 2009, 03:48:11 PM
Sean can you post the file for us to take a look at?
If it is too big to email or post we can figure out a better means depending on the size.

* June 01, 2009, 06:35:28 PM
Dave;
I have attached, in zip, the TCW file and an exported DWG file.
Just to check: I uninstalled and reinstalled TC15, from scratch and it made no difference.
Good luck with it - I have a lot of time invested in this and other drawings that I am unable to export!
thanks,
Sean

* June 02, 2009, 02:25:55 AM
Sean

Here are few screen shots in Autocad you can see how it came in.Your Autocad end user may be unfamiliar with layers, and they have to be turn on and off at will to get clear image.Drawing is zoomed on dimensions,( screen shot 2003),,Layers all
present.( screen shot 2004)

W.D.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:42:36 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* June 02, 2009, 08:04:36 AM
W.D.

Thanks for the screen-shots. They establish that their is definitely an export problem. The exported plans make look OK at first glance, but if you look further, you will see that they are pretty useless.

The GA-Roof screenshot (taken from Paper-Space) doesn't look bad, although there are some lines missing (roof-crest for one).

in GA-Outline Contours, you can see displacement of the first floor perimeter walls on the left side (the building should be symmetrical).

The above anomalies indicate that all is not well.  To see the extent of the problems, you need to look at the AutoCAD version (in ACAD) alongside the TurboCAD version (in TC). If you go into Model-Space and switch layers on and off, you'll see that the layer contents (and overall layer order) has become garbled. You may also see lots of elements displaced or that have lost fill - Check main floor walls, windows and roof lines in the sections.

So I am now convinced that the export facility is definitely not working. Thanks for taking the trouble. This is a relatively basic drawing, so TurboCAD expor shouldn't be tripped up by it. I have some much simpler plans and they won't export either. I've reinstalled TurboCAD, to no avail. Not sure what options are available other than to give up on TCAD and get AutoCAD Lite. Would be a pity as I do like the TC interface. The only thing that gives me pause is that no-one else seems to be having these problems with TCAD.

I have attached a PDF from "GA Lower Level & Landings" paper-space. Please compare this to what you see in AutoCAD and let me know. (I see walls displaced, window details lost, funny text etc, etc.)

Many thanks,

Sean

June 02, 2009, 10:00:52 AM
I looked at the file in both TurboCAD, Trueview and Autocad.  I did not find anything wrong with the layers or layouts (paperspace).  Could you be specific about which layers or layouts are exporting incorrectly.

I did notice that some line styles did not come through.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 02, 2009, 11:06:42 AM
Rip;

I have attached 2 PDF's of the paper-space: "GA - Lower Levels & Landings". One from TurboCAD (which is OK) & one from TrueView viewing the exported DWG file (which is not OK). That is how it looks on my system. If they both look OK on your's, I'll be both amazed and eager to know how I can get the same results.

Sean

* June 02, 2009, 03:35:21 PM
Sean,
Thanks for your conintued feedback on this issue.  I definitely see the problem.  And am able to duplicate it
which is always the key in getting a fix.  I'll try to get you an ETA on a Fix.

One last item just to be clear....The work was done completely in v15.2 of TC Pro?
As oppossed to portions being started from another version of TC or ACAD?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:59:59 PM by Dave Taylor »

June 02, 2009, 03:40:47 PM
Thanks for the detailed description of the issue.  Not being familiar with the drawing I missed it.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 03, 2009, 05:53:02 PM
Sean we continue to look at your drawing.
It has some very odd things going which are contributiong to some of your problems are related to them.
In particular the object displacement..Anyway See movie..

http://downloads.imsidesign.com/TC16/QA/seankexporttodwg1.wmv

* June 04, 2009, 06:12:13 AM
Thanks for the movie. I'm trying to figure out what I have been doing for all these objects to be on different planes, elevations (or whatever)?  There are some that change shape when I rotate them 180 degrees!

I went through the drawing, layer by layer, moving all elements to the workplane (Format\Place Object on Workplane) and it started to show positive results in the exported files. Some elements (for example the 200mm lower slab dimension on Elevation 1) could not be moved. Why is that?

Things were starting to look much better until I started to work on the groups, such as cooker, which I couldn't get to come out properly. I exploded, re-ordered and regrouped the leftmost cooker and suddenly I had exported DXF and DWG files that could not be opened. The message from TrueView is: "Internal Error: !dbobj.cpp@313".

I am attaching the TCW file that causes the problem. I can export to DXF or DWG, but the result can't be opened in TrueView..

Thanks,
Sean

* June 04, 2009, 11:14:38 AM
Sean I'm having no issues saving from either 15.2 or 16 now.
TrueView 2009 opens both of these for me.
There is one thing I noticed.   You've got a polyline with a hatch directly over
a double line with a file so you seem to lose your fill in TV or loose the hatch in TC.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:16:11 AM by Dave Taylor »

* June 04, 2009, 03:27:04 PM
Dave;

Thanks for the samples. Is there any way I can download them?

I have managed to fix 90% of the TC drawing. I still have numerous issues with Groups that just don't come out right. This includes stuff like toilets, sinks, etc. If you look at the samples you posted, these come out all different ways: shading lost, lines lost, elements shuffled etc. Check out the electrical fixtures also. I have tried making them into Blocks (Assembled on level 0), but it doesn't make any difference. I have extracted the Groups to a file: "Blocks". Please look at the TCW and DWG files and try to determine why they don't export properly.

Sounds like there are some "tricks" to exporting to ACAD - Like changed/lost hatching (wall on wall), white changed to black (windows) & so on. Is there a reference that lists these?

Also sounds like I need to tighten up my control of 2D/3D, Workface, etc.

Sean

* June 04, 2009, 04:58:01 PM
not sure what you mean  samples to download.    all the content in my post you should be able to click and save or
right click and save target as.

And yes there are many tricks to DWG in general.  Which is why is something we are constantly working on the import/export.
The 3D selector is something to watch using if you're selecting and moving objects. It is probably the reason your objects got
so scattered.  Unless your working in 3D you don't need to use it.

* June 07, 2009, 03:34:09 PM
Dave;

I have to have AutoCAD to open by just clicking. If I had AutoCAD, I guess I wouldn't be having these problems. ;) Right-clicking only gets me an index.php file.

It looks to me like groups or blocks do not export properly if they have any fill in them - Is that a fair observation? In my plan, the Furniture is mostly groups and it is all messed up. I have tried creating Blocks instead but it seems to make no difference.

I have attached a tiny file with just 1 block on it, in TCW and DWG. Can you get it to export cleanly, or do I just have to stick to wireframe blocks, so to speak.

Sean