TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

3d thread tool
Read 6743 times
* May 29, 2009, 07:41:17 AM
I can't get this tool to work properly . It will only draw a cylinder ... no threads , no head . I'm just using the mouse to draw . Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for any help .

John Tortolini

* May 29, 2009, 09:36:53 AM
 The link below shows video for 3d thread.Possibility you're not loading everything you need to create the thread or something in the tool palette isn't set right.When you're at the TC Video Collection link scroll down.Hover your mouse on text and click there more videos to see.

3D Thread

TC Video Collection

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:11:47 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

May 29, 2009, 10:09:22 AM
You are most likely drawing a schematic thread.  You can choose to draw a simulated or genuine threads in the inspector bar or local menu.  You can change this after the thread has been created in the selection info palette.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* May 29, 2009, 04:03:57 PM
I'm talking about the tool from the ad on's tool menu not the one from insert 3d object .  the one you create from start to finish using the mouse .

John Tortolini

May 29, 2009, 04:26:21 PM
In attempting to recreate your issue I have broken the tool.  Do not set the pitch to zero.  What are the setting in the inspector bar?

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* May 29, 2009, 07:22:47 PM
I'm talking about the tool from the ad on's tool menu not the one from insert 3d object .  the one you create from start to finish using the mouse .

I used this tool since version 11.2 and never had a problem.It works fine.Enclosed is directions in a pdf. file.on how to use the tool.I give a thumbs up. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* May 29, 2009, 08:11:59 PM
Which 3D Thread tool? (There are several.) If you're referring to the one in the AddOns menu, the procedure that works for me is to activate the tool; type the desired values for all six parameters; click one time in the drawing; and WAIT for the tool to work.

Henry H

* May 30, 2009, 12:18:17 AM
Yes Henry , we are talking about the same tool . With version 15 I can draw the thread by just using the mouse . that doesn't work with 16 . I either end up with a cylinder or nothing . If i put the values in the inspection bar , hit enter and then click one time in the drawing , I get a flash of the bolt in the making but it disappears . What values are you using for your bolt ?

John Tortolini

* May 30, 2009, 03:15:44 PM
In attempting to recreate your issue I have broken the tool.  Do not set the pitch to zero.  What are the setting in the inspector bar?

Rip , my settings are , from left to right : 0.493 - 1 - 1 - 0.5 - 1 - 0.493 . When I hit enter I get no generation of the bolt even after I click in the drawing . Works in ver 15 but not in ver 16 . ???

John Tortolini

* May 30, 2009, 03:43:44 PM
re: 0.493 - 1 - 1 - 0.5 - 1 - 0.493

Those numbers didn't work here either. When I increased "Full Len", so it was longer than "Length1", it would work.

The numbers in the picture worked OK.

John R.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 31, 2009, 02:36:22 AM
I tried your numbers and it generates a picture of a bolt but it won't stay on the screen . It just flashes and then disappears . What can that be ?

John Tortolini

May 31, 2009, 07:12:17 AM
I tried your numbers and it generates a picture of a bolt but it won't stay on the screen . It just flashes and then disappears . What can that be ?

This is not good, John. It has been my experience that when the 3DThread tool does what you are experiencing it cannot be fixed. I have had this happen in about three point versions over the years and the only recourse was to create the bolts in a version that did work and copy and paste into the new version. A very big pain. I believe Rip or Dave have hinted in the forum that 16.1 is in the works, so maybe that will help. Sorry the news isn't better.

* May 31, 2009, 12:32:50 PM
One thing that I find is essential with the 3D thread tool is turning on the Part Tree.
Under Options | ACIS | enable the Create Editing History option.

* May 31, 2009, 03:16:36 PM
Thanks , Don , Dave and the rest of you fine gentlemen for your in put , but I think Don is right about this one . But , all is not lost because I can still generate a bolt or screw by way of the insert 3d object tool which does work for making a threaded object . I can work with that . Have a great day !!

John Tortolini