TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Text on an object
Read 2758 times
* April 20, 2017, 08:03:20 AM
I need to form some text to a 3d object. Example 2 words wrapped around a cylinder. I have tried to use the text along a curve tool but it is not working the way I want it to. I need the text to be on the face of the cylinder. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

* April 20, 2017, 08:23:46 AM
Welcome,   could you please provide a bit more detail as it depends on how you wish the text to look as to the methods people use, (and will help them provide get a more accurate rely).

1) Which TC version and type are you using (examples 2015 deluxe or v21 pro platinum etc.)
2) Are you using TC with GDI Lightworks or are you using RedSDK
3) You mentioned text on the face of the cylinder, therefore are you looking for a text wrapping like a label stuck on a tin, or where you thinking of actual 3D text stuck on the surface.

* April 20, 2017, 09:13:34 AM
I am sorry. I am new to this.

Version is v20 pro platinum.
Redsdk
I would like 3d text stuck on the surface. But I don't want any of the letters sticking out more then others.

* April 20, 2017, 11:25:42 AM
Something like the arrow object.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* April 20, 2017, 12:16:30 PM
Yes. The text will stick up off the surface about 1/8in or so.

* April 21, 2017, 01:30:45 PM
Okay, it took me a while to remember how I got the 'barber pole' effect. This was done on a 3" cylinder. I originally had the extrusion (text) going straight down, but the twist went off at an angle when bent. I ended up rotating the extrusion (text) -30°, then it bent around the cylinder. I made the extrusion 1/8" high, but buried it into the cylinder by a 1/16". As far as I can tell from the Front view, it's half-in/half-out of the cylinder. I also made two other extrusions with "normal" oriented text. The picture shows the Bend settings used in the attached V20 drawing.

I don't extrude Text because it is too faceted for my tastes and use my homemade text symbols instead. I will use the text for laying out of my symbols when necessary. Trying to Blend the edges of real text is near impossible.

Hope some of this helps.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 22, 2017, 02:03:22 PM
I still don't understand how you wrapped the text. What tool did you use?

* April 22, 2017, 02:29:15 PM

April 22, 2017, 03:29:35 PM

Bend Sheet Tool, I presume.

I did the below using probably the simplest of options there is-- of all the options/methods that are detailed in that Wiki article Andy linked us to.
The final thing I did was use the Bend Sheet Tool.

Is this good enough quality for what you are trying to achieve?

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 23, 2017, 01:09:27 PM

Yes, I used the "Bend Sheet" tool.
  • For the twisted text I select the top (or front) of the angled "T", then the "bend Line". (01 pix)
  • The extrusion twists as it is bent because the line and object are not at a normal angle, such as 90/180°. (02 pix)
  • For the other Bend, I selected the bottom of the "T", then the 'bend' Line. I used the "Page Down" key to focus on the "hidden" side of the extrusion. (03 pix)
  • The last picture shows copies the 2 pieces together, but not added. In the second cylinder, I 3D subtracted the extrusion. In the third cylinder, I used the 3D Intersect tool on the Text, then Cylinder. This left me with text that matches the face of the cylinder. The last cylinder is copy's of the previous two together, giving me a nice smooth look. (04 pix)
Hope this clears thing up.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 23, 2017, 02:24:38 PM
Great work,John.
I keep trying the "new" bend by path tool but don't have much luck with figuring out what the heck is happening. and what does what.
They create these tools and expect a user to stumble along trying to make it work  :P

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* April 23, 2017, 03:43:31 PM
Great work,John.
I keep trying the "new" bend by path tool but don't have much luck with figuring out what the heck is happening. and what does what.
They create these tools and expect a user to stumble along trying to make it work  :P

Bend to Path is useful if you need something fancier than conventional bends.

Henry H

* April 23, 2017, 03:44:58 PM
re: …Bend to Path…

The Wiki shows what I found experimenting with the Bend to Path tool.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 23, 2017, 03:51:08 PM
re: …Bend to Path…

The Wiki shows what I found experimenting with the Bend to Path tool.

Thanks, John. Lots of information there.

Henry H

* April 24, 2017, 05:45:39 AM
Great work,John.

Bend to Path is useful if you need something fancier than conventional bends.

Henry H

Well after about 100 tries I think I did something though I have no idea or control of what was happening.
Also, nothing informs me the tool is processing. I mean, I follow the prompts click on the profile and it appears that nothing is happening except I can't zoom so I assumed the tool is processing and about 5 mins later I get the attached result.
;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:06:45 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* April 24, 2017, 09:37:49 AM

Well after about 100 tries I think I did something though I have no idea or control of what was happening.
Also, nothing informs me the tool is processing. I mean, I follow the prompts click on the profile and it appears that nothing is happening except I can't zoom so I assumed the tool is processing and about 5 mins later I get the attached result.
;D

Yeah, it is very slow, especially with an object as complex as ordinary text. I use John's technique: make my own simplified alphanumeric characters instead of using out-of-the-box Text, and it's still slow.

And yeah, it's difficult or impossible to predict the result, so I turn on the Part Tree before using the tool so I can tweak it afterward.

Henry H