TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Help for TurboCad 2015 Designer Ver 22.2 Grid/Snap issue.
Read 2388 times
* March 11, 2017, 03:34:52 AM
I have tried several post suggestions to resolve my drawing issue, all to no avail.

Some of the objects no longer align with the Grid.

Would anyone with experience of this issue who uses my program be able to provide a walk through in order to simply align all objects with the grid again?

I have no idea how it occurred, so maybe I'm expecting too much for a satisfactory outcome!

Thanks in advance.

* March 11, 2017, 08:37:32 AM
Surfacesub,

I’m not an expert in the least but the same thing has happened to me. It may be a bit like the blind leading the blind but this may help.

It is always useful to include an attachment drawing so that people can see what is the problem. You don’t have to attach a complete drawing if you don’t want, just enough to illustrate the issue. Whoever successfully helps you will probably ask for this anyway.

A couple of points worth noting if you are not already aware :-

The grid is always aligned to the UCS Icon of the current workplane. If you move the workplane, you move the grid. The objects that appear to be misaligned may have been placed on a different workplane.

The visual grid can inadvertently have its origin offset either by clicking on the Grid Origin Point Icon and clicking somewhere in your drawing or by inserting an offset in the Options>Drawing Setup>Advanced Grid> Origin.  X=0, Y=0. If X and Y are anything other than zero this might be your problem. (Applies to my TC21, sometimes different versions put things in different menus, don’t know about TC22.2). It is OK the have the origin offset so long as you are aware of it.

If it is the workplane that has changed, (which happens many times in the production of a drawing and is normal), you’ll just need to set the current workplane to the objects that are apparently misaligned to make them appear realigned.

Without a drawing to look at, no one can be sure.
Of course it could be something completely different and as I said I’m no expert.

Hope this helps. If not – someone else will I’m sure.

Dave K.

TC2017 Pro Platinum + LightWorks
TC21 Pro Platinum.
UK

March 11, 2017, 08:51:51 AM
Keep in mind Surfacesub, being that you are using the Designer edition, which does not have 3D functions, a lot of what Dave posted-- with good intentions-- does not apply.

--- Just so you don't get confused about not being able to locate or make sense of some of the stuff Dave wrote about.

Here's a link to the: version-2015 editions' Comparison Chart

_______
But as Dave suggested, uploading/attaching the problem drawing file to the Forum is the surest/fastest path to getting your issue resolved.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:53:53 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

March 11, 2017, 09:01:41 AM
I have tried several post suggestions to resolve my drawing issue, all to no avail.

Some of the objects no longer align with the Grid.

Would anyone with experience of this issue who uses my program be able to provide a walk through in order to simply align all objects with the grid again?

I have no idea how it occurred, so maybe I'm expecting too much for a satisfactory outcome!

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you are not snapping to the Grid.  Perhaps (if Designer has these Options... I don't know) you have "Use Mouse Position If Required Snaps are not Found" enabled in Snap settings.

In what manner are you attempting to snap to the Grid?
Running (Grid) Snaps?
SEKE snaps? (keyboard G-key tap)

______
Best to upload/attach the drawing file, for starters.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 11, 2017, 09:47:59 AM
A thought that came to mind, what is the "Frequency"? Go to "Options / Advanced Grid—›Frequency" and make sure it is set to "1". Anything higher places phantom grid points between the visible grid lines.

Was the drawing ever opened/saved in a Deluxe or Pro edition? A change in workplane in those editions would mess things up in Designer.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* March 12, 2017, 04:45:32 AM
Thank you for the above replies, all beyond the call of duty!

Background info------due to unsupported original program I had to import the drawings into TC 2015 Des. and I think use a file type conversion. At the time I was very pleased that I could then read them again!

However, most of the original drawing was constructed from default settings and presumably 1:1 scale, so what puzzles me now is when I first open the drawing some lines use the grid but other no longer. Having investigated since your suggestions yes nearly all lines are snapped to grid but at such a small scale you can barely be sure. So from a snap to grid function OK but the settings have meant at a larger scale some identities are not snapped to graphics as I was hoping for. Being a fairly angular drawing most of the time snap to Grid is adequate.

Now I want to use the drawing again and modify and improve, my question is and now we have what is otherwise a good drawing can all the entities be brought to a suitable construction/layout scale in one quick fix where extending or shrinking lines could also be fixed to provide snap to graphics with out having to hunt for them. Hope I have used the correct terminology.

Alvin, checked settings in Drawing Aids re Running (Grid) Snaps and selected? Although Nearest on Graphic not so.
John, "Frequency" and make sure it is set to "1" yes. No only saved in TC 2015 apart from the original unsupported programs.
Dave, "Grid Origin Point" has always baffled me, so will have to work on that although I do at time struggle to find the answers in the Help manual, which unfortunately covers three programs.

My keyboard short cuts don't respond so I will also have to delve into that issue! (Windows 10) However, I'm not convinced that the Drawing Aids snap feature remains on because I have found it necessary to select from drop down menu options. Perhaps this is another failing of mine, lack of education!. Keep an eye on that, although constructing straight lines the snap error is soon apparent e.g. pixel steps. To be transparent I am self taught and have been in trial and error mode. This could mean the current settings may by now be different to when the drawing was first constructed or added to!

It is fast becoming obvious, my help for this drawing which is far from tidy needs "A select all" for both a snap to grid or graphic quick fix, if at all possible. Or is the drawing past it's sell by date for a magical fix?

I hope to succeed in attaching the drawing as requested which is simplified by forwarding only the circuit layer.

Apologies for all the waffle but if you have a solution without going to too much trouble I will be eternally grateful.

P.S. Sorry but the forum website will not allow me to upload a tct file type, so will have to look into how to resolve that one. Shame, could mean you will not be able to view the original in order to help me?

March 12, 2017, 05:14:10 AM
Hi Surfacesub,

to attach your tct file, just change the extension to tcw.
Making a note that this has been done, is probably good practice, if not always entirely necessary!

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* March 12, 2017, 08:13:50 AM
Surfacesub, if the problem is that some lines (but not all) that are supposed to be horizontal or vertical aren't quite horizontal or vertical, then there is no quick fix.

Henry H

March 12, 2017, 09:25:07 AM

Background info------due to unsupported original program I had to import the drawings into TC 2015 Des. and I think use a file type conversion. ...

What was the "original program"?
Better yet, you can open the file, go to File/SaveAs..., and in the window that comes up, in the drop-down field box "Save as type", select the top option-- "TCW - TurboCAD for Windows Drawing File".  That's the norm.
In addition to uploading/attaching that TurboCAD file, it would be useful if you also upload/attach the original file-- the one created/saved in the "original program", before you "imported" it into TurboCAD Designer.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 12, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
Hi All,

Thank you Tim. Drawing converted simply by save as type .tcw, is that your request?

Henry all lines are parallel with grid. May be an odd line where snap was accidently not selected!

I trust the drawing will be readable!

Thank again, Ian.

P. S. Alvin, At last and had converted as you suggested, but what a pain trying to select the correct file from the list. Opted for file size in the end. Hope you get the correct one.
Did a preview with no errors this time, apart from the arrival of Alvin's message due to timing overlap----very helpful forum. Newbie soon to be an expert!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:42:32 AM by Surfacesub »

* March 12, 2017, 10:59:14 AM
Are these mismatches the problem? If so, there is no quick fix.

Henry H

* March 12, 2017, 12:38:50 PM
Are these mismatches the problem? If so, there is no quick fix.

Henry H
Henry,
Yes this is the second issue which I was hoping could be rectified manually having established a quick fix for the most annoying issue where some lines are not coinciding with the default grid settings and therefore not snapped to adjacent graphics which are with the grid.
Future is starting to look grim given the same problems have occurred in other drawings.

Alvin,
Unfortunately I can't be too certain about the original program, but my best guess would be TurboCAD Light V4. The default file type may have been DGW because when I transferred the program from Windows XP to Windows 7  I somehow had to convert the drawings to DXF type in order to read them. My filing system is not all it should be, but the earlier version of the same uploaded file has identical issues, be it DXF file type!

Thanks again fingers crossed, Ian.

* March 13, 2017, 08:38:20 AM
I was curious to take a look at this drawing but I can’t even open it.  I get a message saying, “No filter matching this file”, which is curious since all file extension filters are available and anyway this is a .tcw file the only thing I look at.
Interestingly I can see it in the preview window of the “File Open” window.

Maybe my TC21 isn’t backwards compatible with your 2015 Designer 22.2

Anyone got any suggestions?

Oh well!  Best of luck

Dave K.

TC21 Pro Platinum.
UK

March 13, 2017, 08:48:51 AM
Dave,

your TC21 is actually an older build, hence the “No filter matching this file”,  message.

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* March 13, 2017, 09:19:38 AM
Thanks Tim,
Dave,

your TC21 is actually an older build, hence the “No filter matching this file”,  message.

Regards Tim

Thanks Tim,
I thought it might be something like that. It's just strange that TC21 allows me to glimpse the file in the preview pane but not let me actually open it. It's a bit of a tease.

Dave K.

TC21 Pro Platinum.
UK