TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

2D 'material' for roof tiles
Read 3419 times
* December 10, 2016, 02:03:33 AM
I am trying to draw a simple 2D side view of the attached building for Council Planners, and found a problem trying to 'fill' the roof with a depiction of the roof tiles. There is no material anything like roof tiles in the palette, which would be the simplest way. My efforts at drawing one tile then copy/paste are not as desired. :(
Would anyone please be able to suggest a fairly simple solution. It does not have to be 100% accurate for scale and size just to give an suitable impression of a tiled roof.
TIA
Pete

V18.2 Pro.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:24:37 AM by Spurry »

* December 10, 2016, 02:36:48 AM
Which version of turbocad?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* December 10, 2016, 04:24:14 AM
Which version of turbocad?
v18.2 Pro (as above)  ;)

December 10, 2016, 07:24:12 AM
Pete, Can you provide us with a TurboCAD file copy of the Side Elevation or Sectional View you are working with.
You can either provide us with the whole drawing your are working with, or copy/paste the entities into a new drawing and upload/attach that.

Also:  What is that roofing product?  Do you have a manufacturer name and model/style name?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:38:50 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 10, 2016, 07:43:28 AM
I am trying to draw a simple 2D side view of the attached building for Council Planners, and found a problem trying to 'fill' the roof with a depiction of the roof tiles. There is no material anything like roof tiles in the palette, which would be the simplest way. My efforts at drawing one tile then copy/paste are not as desired. :(
Would anyone please be able to suggest a fairly simple solution. It does not have to be 100% accurate for scale and size just to give an suitable impression of a tiled roof.
TIA
Pete

V18.2 Pro.

Have you looked at the Brush Pattern called "Spanish Tile"?

Henry H

* December 10, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
Henry. Thanks for that, when I try it, I just get a solid grey area.
Alvin. In my efforts to tile-the-roof it seems I scrambled the drawing and have out-of-memory when trying to reload it. I have managed to retrieve a copy from the *.BAK and it seems ok.
The file is attached.
Without looking through all the old invoices, I cannot remember the name of the actual tile nor manufacturer. Sorry.
The drawing I am trying to emulate does not have a 'real' tile as far as I am aware. A copy of what I am trying to do is attached as well. (Side view from PDF)
My finished drawing will only be printed in black/white on a laser printer.
Thanks for the offers to assist. It is appreciated.
Pete

December 10, 2016, 08:54:34 AM
We'll check out what you attached Pete.  Meanwhile, is what you see in the PDF I've attached herewith similar to what you are trying to achieve?

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 10, 2016, 09:05:14 AM
Thanks for the very speedy reply, Alvin
At a push I could use those tiles, but ideally a little less curve to the tile bottoms would be better. If that is all there is though, I'll accept.
Thanks again
Pete

December 10, 2016, 09:06:02 AM
Henry. Thanks for that, when I try it, I just get a solid grey area.
Pete

Try changing the Brush Scale to 305; which is what I did for the image attached.

Alvin Gregorio

December 10, 2016, 09:11:38 AM
Thanks for the very speedy reply, Alvin
At a push I could use those tiles, but ideally a little less curve to the tile bottoms would be better. If that is all there is though, I'll accept.
Thanks again
Pete

It would probably be much more effort than it is worth to create a Brush Style that is fully accurately representative of the actual roofing product you are going to use.  The "Council Planners"-- nor anyone else (besides ourselves)-- probably couldn't care less that it's not perfectly represented.

_____
The easiest way to draw it more accurately would probably be to find a Hatch pattern via the Internet, and "install" that in your TurboCAD.  Again, probably more time and effort than it's worth.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

December 10, 2016, 09:13:29 AM
If we knew the manufacturer and "style name" of the roofing product, and if it's a large enough company, there is a good chance that they have on the Internet Hatch Patterns that we could download and use for the Brush Style.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:49:33 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 10, 2016, 09:40:06 AM
Thanks for those hints Alvin.
The tiles are actually Sandtoft Clay Arcadia Pantile, made by Wienberger.
Unfortunately my drawing has scrambled again, with all sorts of odd coloured lines, and an Out-Of-Memory message. I have never had an OOM before I had tried to attempt to tile the roof.
I will see what I can find hidden on the disk.
Pete

December 10, 2016, 11:09:11 AM
I couldn't find a Hatch Pattern file available on Wienerberger's website.

I went searching on the Internet, using "pantile hatch pattern" as my search terms.  Nothing exact.

Found the below on the Eagle Roofing products website.  Is it closer to what you would like to use?

Alvin Gregorio

* December 10, 2016, 11:26:16 AM
Alvin
Those look very good. Thank you again.
I managed to open my drawing and delete the random tile that I think was causing the problem, but it has now locked up again. I rescaled the Spanish one, to 500, which looks good too.
Hopefully, when I retrieve the drawing I will try a roof of each to directly compare, I'm sure one of them will be suitable.
Thanks for all your efforts.
Pete

December 10, 2016, 11:50:12 AM
Alvin
Those look very good. Thank you again.
I managed to open my drawing and delete the random tile that I think was causing the problem, but it has now locked up again. I rescaled the Spanish one, to 500, which looks good too.
Hopefully, when I retrieve the drawing I will try a roof of each to directly compare, I'm sure one of them will be suitable.
Thanks for all your efforts.
Pete

Okay.  Attached is my edition of your drawing file.  You are going to need the Brush Style, if you want to use that latest "Eagle Boosted Capistrano" that I used in my just-previous image.

Just copy/paste the roof-Hatch (the entity that contains the Brush Style) into your active drawing.  That Brush Style will then always be available in that/your Drawing.  (there's other methods-- but that's a quick & dirty one)

I have the Brush Scale set at 22 in my Drawing-- just because that sorta looks realistic to me.

Alvin Gregorio

December 10, 2016, 12:03:15 PM
If anyone wants it, attached is the "Boosted Capistrano" Hatch Pattern file* that I got from Eagle Roofing Product's website.

I had to do a very slight editing to the Text Document via Notepad to get it to load into TurboCAD.

But now you can just download to somewhere on your computer; in TurboCAD's Brush Style Editor, click on "Import", and navigate to this .pat file.

*NOTE:  Due to these Forums not allowing uploads of files with the .pat extension, I have changed the extension before uploading.  After downloading the file to your system, change the .txt extension to .pat.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 10, 2016, 01:08:02 PM
Alvin. Thanks for the two files. The first TCW contains something alien to my PC, and it just scrambles with rainbow coloured lines, exactly the same as happened to my own file before I got it restored from the BAK file.
I have downloaded the PAT file but cannot as yet, find the Brush Style Editor.  :-[
In the PDF - Roofside 2D, is that a window glass fill you have used, or some diagonal lines, as I cannot find them in my brush patterns.
Thanks again
Pete

December 10, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
Alvin. Thanks for the two files. The first TCW contains something alien to my PC, and it just scrambles with rainbow coloured lines, exactly the same as happened to my own file before I got it restored from the BAK file.
I have downloaded the PAT file but cannot as yet, find the Brush Style Editor.  :-[
In the PDF - Roofside 2D, is that a window glass fill you have used, or some diagonal lines, as I cannot find them in my brush patterns.
Thanks again
Pete

RE:  "The first TCW contains something alien to my PC, and it just scrambles with rainbow coloured lines, exactly the same as happened to my own file before I got it restored from the BAK file."

That's a drag.  I don't know what to suggest, other than the usual:
   1) First try the "Delete the contents of the Built-in Folder... " procedure;
   2) If no success, do a "Repair" from the Installation disk/file
   3) If still no success, do a re-Install

RE:  "cannot as yet, find the Brush Style Editor. "

There are a number of ways to get to it, Configuration (Workspace) dependent.  You're looking for "Colors and Brushes".  Try the View menu; or the Options Menu.  Or try the "Colors and Brushes" Palette via the Customize window/page.
Once you get that Palette open, the third icon from the very top/left should bring up the "Brush Style Editor" Palette.

RE:  "In the PDF - Roofside 2D, is that a window glass fill you have used, or some diagonal lines, as I cannot find them in my brush patterns. "

That's not a Brush (Hatch).  I do that sometimes (when I'm getting paid enough for the project, and am in a decent mood).  Those are just Lines.  I lock the Angle-field to 45° and with no Snaps active just randomly insert some Lines.
When working in 2D-- which is mostly what I did when I was more active in TurboCAD-- I often refer back to my 1977-1981 four years of high-school pencil-to-paper drafting teachings.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 11, 2016, 01:08:29 AM
Alvin, the assistance has been outstanding. Thanks very much.  :)

I located the *.pat file and imported it as directed. As a bonus I found some other *.pat files I had downloaded in 1997 so was able to install those too.

The simplicity of Tcad v2 is often missed. That was the first version I really got to grips with, (having not got very far with the DOS version).

Whilst the new versions of the program can do wonderful things, it is very, very, complicated to those who like a simple life. It is somewhat perplexing that things get/moved changed from how they have been for years...but I guess that's the price we pay for 'progress'.  ::)

Pete

* December 11, 2016, 09:47:42 AM
re: …The simplicity of Tcad v2 is often missed.…

Where one could pull out a Quick Reference Card to see what was available or sit back with some good reading material. I love the System Requirements for Version 1; 2MB- 4MB of RAM.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:49:33 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 12, 2016, 08:46:28 AM
Cor blimey John, a wave of nostalgia just wafted over me.

I still have my card pictured above from v2, and another one, Turbocad Quick reference (does not say which version). Found all the V4 books, (that version was so very well documented), with even a book full of symbols from 1995.

Not sure which version it was, but for me the best thing ever done, was not to have to specify the size of page desired, before actually drawing anything. Obviously lots of goods things since then but for me, that caps all. :D

Happy days

Pete