TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Why doesn't the viewport in paper space jibe with viewport in model space?
Read 4728 times
* May 28, 2009, 11:09:08 AM
Hi:

TurboCAD Designer 2D printing problem.  I have a viewport created in model space named "South" that I've inserted into paper space.  Only thing is, the borders I've created for South aren't what's governing what I'm seeing in paper space.  There's a part of the drawing clearly *outside* of the South boundries that's showing up in paper space.  I've checked those boundries several times, deleted the viewport in paper space and then reinserted it, but it's still not working correctly.  Any thoughts on the problem here?

TIA.

Tom Young

May 28, 2009, 02:46:17 PM
Tom, I would first go to the view again in modelspace, create near-identical view with different view name, then go to paperspace and see if you have the same problem inserting the new paperspace. If so, next I would start a new drawing, extract what you need into it from the old drawing and try your success again. Then post your findings.

PS,
By the way, if your inserted viewport rectangle isn't about the same shape as the created viewport, there will be more content outside the created viewport in the direction which is too large. This is normal.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:55:21 PM by Alan C »

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

May 28, 2009, 03:25:02 PM
Hi:

TurboCAD Designer 2D printing problem.  I have a viewport created in model space named "South" that I've inserted into paper space.  Only thing is, the borders I've created for South aren't what's governing what I'm seeing in paper space.  There's a part of the drawing clearly *outside* of the South boundries that's showing up in paper space.  I've checked those boundries several times, deleted the viewport in paper space and then reinserted it, but it's still not working correctly.  Any thoughts on the problem here?

You may need to adjust your page setup.

Click on file at the top left of the screen,
Then page setup,
Then check your paper sizes are correct before adjusting the layout settings.

This should line up the paperspace with the modelspace.

Regards

Dave

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

* May 28, 2009, 03:47:41 PM
Tom, I would first go to the view again in modelspace, create near-identical view with different view name, then go to paperspace and see if you have the same problem inserting the new paperspace. If so, next I would start a new drawing, extract what you need into it from the old drawing and try your success again. Then post your findings.

PS,
By the way, if your inserted viewport rectangle isn't about the same shape as the created viewport, there will be more content outside the created viewport in the direction which is too large. This is normal.

Alan:

Thanks for the reply.  This is very strange.  The paperspace image of South as I originally described the problem is shown below in the South attachment.  That empty space and the little bit of drawing (top half of an oval) is the "extra" stuff I was talking about; the border for the model space viewport is right below the bottom line of the foundation.  Before trying what you suggested I deleted the viewport in paper space and then reinserted the South viewport back into it, drawing boundaries that were very much like I'd had on the paper before.  This was all before doing anything at all to the viewport itself in model space.  The result is the NewSouth attachment.  As you can see the "extra" space has expanded even farther, taking in more of model space above and below the viewport boundaries.

I then created a new viewport in model space called TEST with boundaries, again, very close to the original and inserted it into paperspace and it came out looking almost exactly like the original South!

It doesn't seem "right" that the viewport you create in paperspace should have to be very close to the shape of the boundaries in model space; I'd think the program wound stretch/compress the image to fit the paperspace boundaries, not force you to redraw the boundaries in paper space (maybe several times) until the image showed up properly.

I've never done anything with extraction (I'm new to TurboCAD Designer) so I'll have to read up on how to do that before trying your second suggestion.

Thanks.

Tom Young

[attachment deleted by admin]

* May 28, 2009, 03:50:44 PM
Hi:

You may need to adjust your page setup.

Click on file at the top left of the screen,
Then page setup,
Then check your paper sizes are correct before adjusting the layout settings.

This should line up the paperspace with the modelspace.

Regards

Dave

Dave:

I've checked page setup a dozen time and everything jibes.  I've inserted extra paper spaces into the file to create different views and they all work properly, except this one!  Still puzzled.

Tom Young

* May 28, 2009, 04:10:32 PM

PS,

Alan:

The answer to my other question here on the forum regarding viewports printing out with visible boundaries led me to a fix on the immediate problem of "extra" stuff showing up on the printout.  In paperspace I used the selection tool to select the viewport then moved the bottom boundary up the page a bit until the bit of extra drawing that was showing below no longer appeared.

It still doesn't seem right to me that I'd have to make that kind of adjustment, but I guess I do.

Thanks.

Tom Young