TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

CPU & memory usage
Read 4733 times
* May 28, 2009, 07:59:07 AM
Hi, I haven't posted in a LONG time, and 1st on this new forum.

I've used TC (non-professional) since V6 so I'm somewhere between newbie and heavy hitter.

This may be a request for some expert tips & tricks to get posted to that forum that might help all.

CPU:  I've noticed that TC at idle can consume as much as 25% of CPU time.  What the heck is it doing by itself?  Is this something anyone has noticed?

Memory:  I have a drawing now in V15 that has grown too large to use.  I use blocks wherever possible but it's just too big.  Sometimes it can take 1 minute just to select an object and I've had layer visibility changes take 5 minutes.  (I've got a fast CPU and 2GB, so it shouldn't be a horsepower issue).

I don't think XREF's will help as the XREF data is loaded into memory just as though it came from the working file.

I've had to turn off autosave because saves take up to a minute and always happen when you're in the middle of something.  Turning off auto-save is an invitation to unhappiness.

Of course breaking up the drawing into separate files would solve the problem, but how do you then put it back together again?  Also deleting some internal detail would help, but then much of that detail is needed to create some views.

Rendering is out of the question with this drawing, and even hidden line crashes now.

Maybe I've got some rogue object somewhere but how can you find that.  I even dumped the object data to see if something stood out, but no smoking guns I could find.

I'm really only describing my observations and hoping that the TC community can provide some insights in how to better manage larger drawings.  It's particularly bothersome when you have invested considerable time and then find you can't achieve the objective.

Are there some object types to avoid?  Can complex solids with many minute vertices be reduced in some way?

Does anyone have a primer or words of wisdom on large drawing issues?

May 28, 2009, 08:16:44 AM
Can you use a simplified version of the overall unit and then create detailed components in other files. I have done this with complex windows (PVC & Aluminum extrusions) with great success. Initially I had intended to create all units in their full complex states and it brought TC down. With the new approach I have had no issues and my clients are pleased with the work I am providing.

What are you illustrating? Can you provide a screen capture?

* May 28, 2009, 08:38:31 AM
Can you use a simplified version of the overall unit and then create detailed components in other files. I have done this with complex windows (PVC & Aluminum extrusions) with great success. Initially I had intended to create all units in their full complex states and it brought TC down. With the new approach I have had no issues and my clients are pleased with the work I am providing.

What are you illustrating? Can you provide a screen capture?

Thanks for the quick reply, Don.  (I posted in the last TC Challenge BTW and was thinking I could get this drawing up to this year's TCC, but it doesn't look like it.)

I can't get a cap of this right now as the file will not load on the PC I'm using, but I'll try to get that later.  This is a detailed house drawing, probably too detailed.

I have thought of what you're saying in regards to reducing object complexity.  I do have that situation but redrawing all those things is a pain.  I don't know of an easy way to strip internal detail and just leave a visible shell without redrawing things.  And then I'd have a lot of work with applying materials to facets as well.

Now I do have things like shingles that I know are excessive.  I haven't wanted to use image wrapping for those because I wanted the detail in hidden line as well.

Here's an idea to throw out there:  Is there less overhead involved by adding the solids in a group into one solid and then applying materials to facets?  (Of course any editing afterwards is no fun).

May 28, 2009, 09:16:38 AM

* May 28, 2009, 09:51:45 AM
How big is the file?

It's 34MB, Don.

May 28, 2009, 10:00:28 AM
How big is the file?

It's 34MB, Don.

I was thinking that you could email it to me and I could see if I could open it and save it to a couple files. I don't know if my host has an email cap but you can try if you want. dcheke@sasktel.net

* May 28, 2009, 10:17:49 AM
Don, I think 34MB would choke things up.  I've tried that before and had trouble.  (Besides, the drawing is in an embarrassing state of completion and I'd never win the contest  :D)

But I have attached a cap.  (Hope it works, first time)

[attachment deleted by admin]

* May 31, 2009, 06:17:57 PM
jrh,

Have a look at the image manager (Tools/Raster Image/Image Manager)
I had the same problem, Images were the culprit.
Unloaded and deleted all the images and the file size came back to normal.

June 01, 2009, 12:05:48 PM
I had similar problems with a conceptual drawing used for a proposal earlier this year.  A lot of the problem was that my models were way too detailed (I had curves, chamfers and fillets on hundreds of pins for integrated circuits when they took up less than 1-2% of the picture (if they were even visible).

I would suggest reviewing the modeling of the various components and simplifying where suitable.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:36:40 PM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1