TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

X:Y Art
Read 3021 times
* July 28, 2016, 04:37:17 AM
Hi Everyone,
For some time I have been trying to develop a method to create something different with TC other than CAD drawing & modelling, basically as a challenge to keep the head working or try to at least.

All of the Pictures attached are created from X & Y Coordinates only, no Z axis & then rendered in TC which I found to be a challenge all by itself but I am slowly getting an understanding of it.

Anyway see what you think, I have attached a very small selection of differing things from Wire & Cloth Patterns to Abstract Art & beyond to show only a few of the massive variety of things that can be accomplished with this X:Y Art method.

I find it interesting, no one else might?

Some things are not rendered to my liking but more time is needed, just wanted to share this so far.

There are about 17 pictures to attach so obviously I will have more than one post to attach them.

Cheers
David

* July 28, 2016, 04:55:32 AM
More Pictures.

* July 28, 2016, 04:59:35 AM
Last Lot:

Cheers
David

* July 28, 2016, 06:15:03 AM
Only X & Y, no Z data? So these are 2D drawings? They sure fool the eye into thinking that they are 3D. They are wonderful to me. Get high quality prints made and I can see these as interesting wall art. Nice job!

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* July 28, 2016, 07:47:55 AM
Highly original and downright beautiful. But if they are simply 2D, David, how do you render them?

Henry H

* July 28, 2016, 10:31:49 AM
Really lovely art work you've go there.

July 28, 2016, 11:14:26 AM
They all look great David.

Are these all screen captures? I am just curious as there are some jagginess to the lines. Have you tried saving as a jpg at a larger size (which can help) or have you tried creating a viewport and printing to PDF at 300dpi. Once in PDF format you can convert to image format in Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop, etc. or screen capture from the PDF. I wonder how that would look.

* July 28, 2016, 02:26:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

Jason,
Thanks for the comment!
Yes, they do fool the eye & this I believe is the beauty of 2D drawings which I have done for a lifetime since very young.

About 6yrs ago I had a medical issue that left me unable to continue drawing due to being unsteady now, it was like losing something precious?
So, I have been looking for a way to continue this with the aid of a computer & have again finally found a way once again thanks to TC!

Henry,
The comment is much appreciated!
I knew you would ask about how the rendering is done if they are actually 2D, I could have won money on a bet.
I found that it is necessary to extrude the lines between 0.005" to 0.01" so rendering can be accomplished.
Technically speaking they do have 0.005"-0.01" Z Axis but this is to compensate for the computers ability so to speak which I have no control over.

If you have an extruded 2D drawing (to the dimensions above) in World Plan View & render it, you see nothing as the computer doesn't see the drawing as the line width is minimal, you have to tilt or rotate the drawing to get to view it.
The actual line width is invisible to the computer, so by extruding between the dimensions given makes it possible to render & get to view it as you will know.
It's like a pencil line on paper if you could rotate the pencil line 90deg to the paper, it would be basically invisible looking straight down at it but looking from an angle you would see it. That's the best way I can explain it?

Thanks Andy, much appreciated!

Don,
Thanks for the comment & the helpful tips!
Yes, all screen captures from TC!
No, I haven't tried any of the suggestions given at this stage just raw images from the screen captures at this stage.
It may also be due to the fact that my CPU doesn't support graphics at all & I only have a $30 graphics card if you can call it that?

One of the big issues I am working with is to keep the absolute minimum Z Axis as mentioned to Henry to keep the drawings in the realms of 2D, the computer & the programs find it hard to detect fine work once rendered so I have to find ways of making this better.
It is a new process for me & it has taken considerable enjoyable time to nut it out to where I am at now.

One of the big stumbling blocks is the fact that when you render the fine work & tilt or rotate the drawing some sections are clear & defined & others become serrated (for lack of a better word) or totally invisible to the computer.
It's something I have to work at, I am progressing slowly but I won't let it beat me!

As I progress I will certainly look into your suggestions & I appreciate greatly the advice given.
The more help & advice I get the better to be honest!

Cheers
David

July 29, 2016, 12:11:09 PM
Very interesting David, if you give these extrusions a reflective material like mirror or a material with a mirror facet, then use an environment and perspective you should get quite a lot of variations with your extrusions even though they are all in one plane.

Good to see more artwork come out of Turbocad!.

* July 29, 2016, 01:55:30 PM
Hi Orion20036,
Thanks for the suggested method, I will look into that to see what I can come up with.
I see what you are saying & it may well be very interesting if I get it right.

Thanks Again

Cheers
David

August 05, 2016, 01:31:49 PM
These are fascinating designs.  As others have said, you should really look into high-resolution production of these images for photographic prints.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

August 08, 2016, 01:17:31 PM
David,

You may be able to get rid of some of the jagged edges by ratcheting up the anti-aliasing in the RedSDK properties and turning the faceting up as high as it will go under Options-->ACIS.

* August 17, 2016, 01:32:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

Jeff,
Thanks for the comment & yes you may be right in that I should look at some prints?
I have been continuing along the X:Y method & also a new improved method that seems to be working very nicely.

Will post some images when I am finished.
Thanks Jeff

Travis,
Thanks for the info, I have played with quite a few different settings but just haven't hit the mark as yet.
Thanks Travis

Cheers
David