TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Materials
Read 1269 times
* July 02, 2016, 04:22:10 AM
Hi Everyone,
After a lot of reading I thought I would have a look at making some new materials this evening to work with & found something I am not sure is correct?

In every category of Materials it has a variety of things you can change like Options - Texture - Reflectance Color -  Transmission Color - Bump Map etc.

When I open the Metals Category I don't have this selection & it has "Generic" under each Metal type.
There doesn't appear to be much to change with this category.

Is it supposed to be like this, I'm not sure not knowing the program?

To make sure I reinstalled the program but everything is the same?

I will attached two pictures, one of what I have in every category, this one is just one I picked from the Leather category to show.
The other is what I have for Metals?

Cheers
David

July 02, 2016, 04:40:25 AM
David

That is correct, nothing wrong with your install.

The metals are made by Redway so only a few parameters are available to a user for ease of use.

Your can make your own metals/materials using the standard parameters defining the colour/texture, Reflectance  etc. etc.

Redway have published some basic material suggestions in the online docs - http://www.redway3d.com/downloads/public/documentation/tk_creating_a_realistic_metal_material.html

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* July 02, 2016, 04:44:16 AM
Hi Darrel,

Thanks for the quick reply, I see what your saying!

Thanks also for the link, I shall have a look.

Cheers
David

July 02, 2016, 05:39:48 AM
Darrel,

I'm sure you will forgive me if I'm wrong, but, the RedSDk info., helpful though it might be, is essentially for those users of the Red(S)oftware (D)evelopment (K)it who might be programmers, not end users.  :(

Perhaps, IMSI developers should be encouraged to follow the various tutorials more, and thus improve the user's/our experience?
My apologies, if this is a bit cheeky.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.418) 64-bit

July 02, 2016, 05:46:02 AM
Yes Tim

The Docs have a lot to do with programming but also some settings for the end users.

The attached screen grab from that webpage info is useful for a user to get started as this can be transferred to the parameters we have in building a metal material:

Edit: added render for Metal examples:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:36:28 PM by Darrel Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* July 02, 2016, 01:33:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Tim,
Your comment about things being end user friendly is very valid, at the end of the day it's the end user that has to use the product & the ease of use for newcomers & non programmers is essential, I would have thought.
I found some of the info mentioned a while back & thought I would never be able to work this out & didn't know where to start until I realized that most of the information I was reading was for advanced users & or programmers as you mention & certainly not newbies like myself.

It's not much use having a Ferrari if you can't work out how to start it!

Darrel,
Thanks for attaching the screen shots, to my surprise I did actually get that far when reading the from the link you posted earlier.

Cheers
David