TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Multiple Coordinate Points
Read 2423 times
* June 20, 2016, 02:57:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to enter multiple 3D coordinate points into Deluxe with the one operation?.

Eg:
Just say I wanted to add say 30 separate 3D points can I do this with one operation or does it need to be done individually?

Thanks
David
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:00:57 PM by willeng »

* June 21, 2016, 01:02:28 PM
Interesting, David >But could you be more specific  ;D
what are you looking to do with these 30 or so points.

I mean, the points need coordinates.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* June 21, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply!

I used a manual method of plotting coordinate points for the design of Airfoils, Turbine Blades, Impellers etc & it is a quick easy method of drafting & for quickly changing design configurations.

Basically if you can Plot a number (Any Number) of Coordinate Points onto paper or in this case TurboCad it gives you obviously a series of very accurately placed dots or crosses on screen.
You can then just join the dots for your polyline, then copy - change Z Axis, scale & rotate giving you the precise framework for lofting all manner of precise objects with the correct pitch etc.

I find it is an easy method & wanted to do it in TurboCad but entering multiple X & Y coordinates with one operation would save a heap of time.

If TurboCad can't do this at the moment it would be a good feature to have, I think I have found a way to do this using another method, i'll have to try it out first.

Cheers
David

* June 21, 2016, 02:52:23 PM
Hi Dean,

Sorry forgot to mention that, yes the points need coordinates, but coordinates lead you to a point as well?

That's the trouble with being old & not using up to date terminology, like a Bolt & a Screw, once the terminology described exactly what was what but now days it's not the case?

Cheers
David

* June 21, 2016, 03:57:45 PM
Sorry for all the posts but I would like to know if I can do this in Deluxe somehow?

I have attached a very innacurate picture of a blade & you will see the crosses that I have arranged just with the mouse in this case, it could be done with coordinates to place the crosses more accurately but as far as I know only one X coordinate & one Y coordinate & one cross at a time individually.

I want to know if there is some way I can enter MULTIPLE X & Y Coordinates at the same time with one operation & all the crosses appear at once on the screen?

When you have a hundred or more coordinates to enter doing them individually is a bit time consuming.

Cheers
David

* June 21, 2016, 05:30:14 PM
David, what is the source of these points? Is it a file containing just XYZ data? or what?

Henry H

* June 21, 2016, 05:52:42 PM
Hi Henry,
Thanks for the reply!

I use Excel, CSV or Text files, the files contain only X, Y data, coordinates for the Points you want to display on screen & then everything else is done in the software.
You can easily include the Z axis points as well but you need to manually draft things first to get the coordinates, easier in the software as I have recently found out.

I use a graph to draft the base profile & then punch the numbers into Excel.
I thought you may be able to enter the multiple coordinates into TurboCad without importing file data?

I have found a way to do it & it works great, I have attached the screenshot of it, it's a big time saver for me.
Just enter the coordinates & connect the dots, what a wonderful world we live in now :)

Cheers
David

* June 21, 2016, 07:14:57 PM
Hi Henry,
Thanks for the reply!

I use Excel, CSV or Text files, the files contain only X, Y data, coordinates for the Points you want to display on screen & then everything else is done in the software.
You can easily include the Z axis points as well but you need to manually draft things first to get the coordinates, easier in the software as I have recently found out.

I use a graph to draft the base profile & then punch the numbers into Excel.
I thought you may be able to enter the multiple coordinates into TurboCad without importing file data?

I have found a way to do it & it works great, I have attached the screenshot of it, it's a big time saver for me.
Just enter the coordinates & connect the dots, what a wonderful world we live in now :)

Cheers
David

Glad to hear that you've found a good solution, David. I was going to suggest TCad's 3D Mesh tool, which allows you to paste the contents of a data file into its Coordinates Table -- or it did once upon a time. It's been several years since I've fiddled with this tool and I don't remember the necessary format of the data file. I just looked at the TCad Help file, and it doesn't even mention inserting data from an external source. (Maybe it's no longer possible.)

Henry H

* June 21, 2016, 09:10:57 PM
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the suggested method, I will have a look into that way as well.

Not getting much sleep lately, I find the software which is new to me very interesting!
As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat, it's just a matter of using the best knife to do it.

Thanks again Henry, I appreciate the input.

Cheers
David