TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Works in one file but not the other . . .
Read 8142 times
* May 27, 2009, 08:34:25 PM
I don't have much hair left, so I've got to find a solution before I pull the little I have remaining. I have been trying to extrude a shape along a path. The shape and the path work just fine in one file, but when they are copied to another every attempt to extrude the same shape along the same path fails with the following AICS error:

The resultant object of ACIS Solid type is selfintersecting or invalid.
The correct object can't be created.
ACIS message: Self-intersection created by profile intersecting axis or crossing center of elliptical path.

I've attached the two files. the shape in Door Panel MASTER LEFT.TCW extrudes perfectly along the right angle polyline. However, when the profile and polyline are cut and pasted to PanelDoor--NEW--MASTER---WORK.TCW, the error message above results whenever I try to extrude the profie along the polyline.

I'm sure it is something really simple, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I hope the answer to my dilemma is posted embarrassingly fast. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

* May 27, 2009, 09:13:35 PM
Perhaps you're not thinking pure thoughts. Sweep works fine for me in PanelDoor--NEW--MASTER--WORK.TCW. I do get a message warning that "Profile plane does not intersect path. Result may be incorrect." But the result seems to be correct.

Henry H

* May 27, 2009, 09:36:58 PM
Perhaps you're not thinking pure thoughts.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time!

Sweep works fine for me in PanelDoor--NEW--MASTER--WORK.TCW. I do get a message warning that "Profile plane does not intersect path. Result may be incorrect." But the result seems to be correct.

All five of the sweeps along each of the respective paths? Did you do anything except select the sweep tool and then click the profile and then the desired path?

* May 28, 2009, 10:19:14 AM
Well ...no. I only tested the profile and path copy/pasted from Door Panel MASTER LEFT.TCW. But after reading your question, I went back and tried 'em all (in PanelDoor--), with almost complete lack of success. Couldn't find anything wrong with your drawing, either. But then I copy/pasted everything into a new drawing and tried again. In this new drawing, I was able to Sweep EVERY profile along its path (or both candidate paths, where applicable), with a single exception: Genie refused to Sweep along your green Polyline path. Both green Beziers worked OK.

Henry H
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:21:00 AM by henry hubich »

* May 28, 2009, 10:33:53 AM
OK sports fans, here is the latest

• Definition
  • Problem Statement
  • Problem Restatement
  • Unending Frustration
  • Attempt
  • Futile Attempt
  • (Select One)

I would appreciate it very much if someone can discover and then tell me why* the file profiles in the file ItDoesWork.twc will sweep without a problem, but the profiles in the file  DoesNotWork.twc will not sweep, even if the profiles from ItDoesWork.twc are cut and pasted into DoesNotWork.twc the same error will occur, i.e., the transplanted profiles will not sweep. I looked at every parameter I could and did not find any differences between the files. I even tried several different work planes and it didn't make any difference.

This particular problem has been causing me grief for at least ten years, albeit with earlier versions of TurboCAD. I've read the manual pages on extrusions over and over and over again, but I still don't have a clue why something will sweep one time and not another.

ARRRRRG!

FWIW I am using TurboCAD 16 on a WindowsXP machine with more than 590Gb of free storage, 4Gb of RAM, and an AMD Phenom 9650 quad core processor that runs at 1.2GHz.

*Probably would best if the explanation avoids multi-syllabic words or grammatical constructions beyond a third grade level. Anything more complex must be beyond my feeble ability to comprehend something.

I know that TurboCAD support gurus lurk here from time to time. Perhaps they can give some insight as to what in the world is going on.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:37:38 AM by photowriters »

* May 28, 2009, 03:15:30 PM
It appears that there are some extra vertices in the profiles (but don't ask me how they got there). I exploded one, then used Join Polyline to put the pieces back together, and after that it would sweep.

Original vertices: 17
New vertices: 14

* May 28, 2009, 07:12:43 PM
Original vertices: 17
New vertices: 14

Hmmm . .

So there were extra vertices on the profiles that had nothing to do with the profile itself? That is strange. All I can guess is that TurboCAD stuck some extra ones on it during a migration from one version of TurboCAD to another.

If you kept the file. How 'bout uploading it so I can compare the two shapes or profiles.

* May 28, 2009, 08:24:26 PM
Wouldn't you know it? I didn't keep the file, and now I can't get it to behave the same way. Arrrg indeed!

* May 28, 2009, 09:05:48 PM
Wouldn't you know it? I didn't keep the file, and now I can't get it to behave the same way. Arrrg indeed!

I've got to say it . . .

Welcome to the Frustration Club!

Any other inputs?

* May 29, 2009, 01:08:22 PM
Hmmm. Triangulating... I went back to your original ItDoesWork.tcw drawing, and changed colors on all the extrude profiles and paths.

In the modified drawing (ItDoesWork_Sort_Of.tcw attached), the red profile can sweep along the cyan path (but not the green), and the blue profile can sweep along the green path (but not the cyan).

If I flip the blue profile 180 degrees and move it to the other side (ItDoesWork_Sort_Of_2.tcw, it then works with the cyan path rather than the green. So there seems to be some interplay between the profile and path orientations that I can't quite put my finger on.

* May 29, 2009, 01:23:21 PM
So there seems to be some interplay between the profile and path orientations that I can't quite put my finger on.

I'll mess with it as soon as I can, perhaps this weekend. I know that I could take a profile that would sweep and move it to a different path, i.e., from blue to green, and it would not sweep.

It seems to me that for a fully functional program that any closed profile should sweep any defined path. I have no doubt that that the algorithms are extremely complex and lots of number crunching takes place, but one would expect IMSI to have ironed out these problems in the last ten years.

I've initiated yet another a support ticket on this subject with IMSI. I'll post the results here when I get some resolution even if it is a "Don't bother us. We hve bigger fish to fry."

* June 03, 2009, 05:45:36 PM
I got a "Yep, that's a problem" response from the TurboCAD support group apparently* located in the former Soviet Union:

Ticket ID: 17618-7928051209

Last Post:
----------------------------------
Hello,

There seems to be something wrong with the DoesNotWork.tcw file. Most likely it was corrupted for some reason. I’ll send the drawing to TurboCAD developers for consideration.
As a workaround, open the DoesNotWork.tcw drawing, select Edit | Select All, then Edit | Copy, open a new file and paste the drawing. Sweep should work here properly.

Ksenia Novitskaya
IMSIDesign Technical Support
----------------------------------

but for the latest developments, please see the Works in one file but not the other . . . thread.

*I say apparently because this is the third support issue that has been answered by a woman with a Russian name.

* June 03, 2009, 10:37:33 PM
*I say apparently because this is the third support issue that has been answered by a woman with a Russian name.

Well, IMSI/Design has been using the services of SoftDev SPb in St Petersburg, Russia for the last 10 -15 years. It's never been hidden that the developers who write the program for IMSI/Design are outside the US. I gather from your pointed comment that you're not happy with that arrangement.

Your link has an error:
...but for the latest developments, please see the Works in one file but not the other . . . thread.
It should be:
...but for the latest developments, please see the Chapter 27 in the continuing saga -- "Will not 3D Subtract" thread.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 03, 2009, 11:09:41 PM
I gather from your pointed comment that you're not happy with that arrangement.

Well, I think it reflects a certain attitude or business philosophy which puts customer service and responding to bug reports and fixing problems at a much lower priority than profits. IMSI is not the only company that has this business style, and I cannot help but wonder what ever happened to the proven principal that if you take care of your employees and your customers, they will take care of you. 

Your link has an error:
...but for the latest developments, please see the Works in one file but not the other . . . thread.
It should be:
...but for the latest developments, please see the Chapter 27 in the continuing saga -- "Will not 3D Subtract" thread.

Thanks, I'll fix it in the morning.