TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

From Auto Cad to DWG to Turbo Cad & Back To DWG----ISSUES.
Read 7604 times
* April 05, 2016, 02:54:00 AM
This drawing was originally done in Auto Cad and saved into a DWG format and uploaded to our server. I then downloaded the file and opened it with Turbo Cad Lite Pro 6 (don't ask me why our little cubicle has Turbo Cad and the architects have Auto Cad......bad decision made above us)...anyways; After opening in Turbo Cad i then proceeded to make our changes and then save them back into DWG and upload back onto the server. When the architects open the revised DWG file certain glitches rear their head, and even when i re-open the revised DWG file in Turbo Cad i have the same issues. Notice the changes in Font on certain sets of words. The issues seem to be around Multiline Text. When I made my changes i completely deleted the multiline text and used just Text and typed in the new text, but when i save and re-open it reverts back to multiline text and the font returns to the previous. I have other drawings where leader segments are tweeked, and similar issues.
Any answers and or help would be greatly appreciated.

* April 05, 2016, 04:54:09 AM
I spoke with TC's tech support yesterday and have a similar issue with importing TC Deluxe created DWG's and DXF's into Mastercam - namely, font and dimensioning issues and viewing 3D extrusions.  It was explained to me that although TC can export to the two above formats, a problem is - only 2D stuff can be exported.  Not 3D and not surface modeling stuff.  So if any of your drawings are 3D or solid surface or extrusions, from what I understand from TC tech support, there are issues, and it has to do with the DWG and DXF code standard and not Turbocad.

He suggested to move up to either TC Pro or Platinum which can export 3D and surface modeling stuff if exporting to IGES or STEP.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong or mis understood the issue...

It appears from what I am hearing from TC Support, is that DWG and DXF is not really a uniform standard as advertised, as are (supposedly) IGES or STEP formats.

* April 05, 2016, 08:40:33 AM
Ok, forgive me for not responding sooner and thank you for your replying to my post.....I would consider myself a novice and i don't even understand some of the terms you spoke of. I am definitely not doing any 3D stuff; what exactly is surface modeling or extrusions?

* April 05, 2016, 10:36:09 AM
The DWG round-tripping in TC is a complex subject.

In Jammacbeth's case I think the problem is related to styles.  For instance, if you look at the Multi-text formatting options and compare to the text style options their are some differences.    So I'll suggest you align those 2 sets of parameters as much as possible. It may also be better to use the regular text tool whenever possible.   

I'd also suggest you make use of Autodesk's free viewer called DWG Trueview.  It can be very helpful in understanding where the differences in translation occur.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:39:19 AM by Dave Taylor »

* April 06, 2016, 03:07:40 AM
Dave,

thanks for the response. The multiline text were created by the auto cad user; i have even deleted the multiline text and used regular text in place (which is what i prefer), and then after i save it and then re-open it, it reverts back to the multiline texts. Is there any solution to these glitches? Or do i have to re-draw everything? It seems like there is some sort of issue with how the drawing was originally done in auto cad and then the changes that i make, and then being converted to DWG. If i stay in turbo cad it is fine, but the auto cad guys need to access the files for final upload and they cannot open my turbo cad files. This is my big dilemma. My main problems are with text and leaders, in fact these are my only problems. Any ideas?

* April 06, 2016, 03:59:52 AM
As Dave says you need to make sure that the text height matches the height of the text style.
So you need to have different text styles for the different sizes of text.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 06, 2016, 04:06:32 AM
sorry, would you elaborate on that.....I am not sure i follow you. Is there a way to adjust the height of the text style? All i see is the text height.

April 06, 2016, 04:34:30 AM
I would suggest-- especially since it seems that you TurboCAD users and your AutoCAD users work for the same company, and there's no "humbling" or "not seeming professional" to be concerned with:

Have the AutoCAD users set up all the desired Multiline Text and Leader-Note Styles.  They going so far as to actually insert them into a drawing which you then open in TurboCAD and you can copy via Rubber Stamp, Make Copy, Copy/Paste, or something, then edit.

A little clunky, but should might deliver satisfactory results.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 06, 2016, 04:50:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input and guidance. If I am hearing correctly, it sounds like that there are just some underlying glitches which really cannot be fully corrected......

* April 06, 2016, 07:22:52 AM
They can.
autocad uses styles to control text. It sounds like you are changing the text properties via properties and not by using actual text styles.
The way you are using text is easier but not when you share with autocad.
 I made this mistake too.

You need to go into the style manager and create a text style with all the settings you need.
Once you have done this change your text to this style. Check that the text has the right settings as per your style.
and then try saving as an autocad drawing. - it worked for me.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 06, 2016, 08:03:35 AM
nikkipollard, i did not know that, and will try that next. How about the issue i am having with leaders? My leaders after i save them will wind up off kilter with the text.

I have attached the TCW and then the DWG i saved immediately after and notice the leaders that are crooked or short , etc....

Thanks for helping, I really appreciate the input.

* April 06, 2016, 07:10:30 PM
Hi sorry I am not having the same issue with leader arrows. I have never been a fan of leader arrows - I hate the fact that I cant make them straight. so when the arrow tool was added I started using that
I did try to duplicate your problem in platinum but there wasn't an issue

Have you tried the turbocad lte forum?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 07, 2016, 01:59:50 AM
You know i didn't even know there was a Turbo Cad Lite forum. Thank you for letting me know. I really appreciate your help.

* April 07, 2016, 04:52:30 AM
Can you post a simple DWG drawing that has been created in autocad and has not been altered by Turbocad.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* April 07, 2016, 09:18:49 AM
what exactly is surface modeling or extrusions?

I was talking about the Extrude tools in Turbocad Deluxe, and how they create just surface modeled drawings, not solid surface modeling as is done in the pro versions.  I  am assuming this is why surface modeled drawings are not viewable in Autocad....am I correct anyone?

That actually leads me to a second question for the experts - do the extrude tools in the pro versions of TC produce solid surfaces?  Is that the difference between Pro and Deluxe?

* April 07, 2016, 11:45:37 AM
I don't know the answer to #1.

#2: Simple Extrude in the Pro editions can create an Solid (ACIS Solid) or a Surface (TC Surface). Deluxe can only create a Surface (TC Surface).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* April 07, 2016, 11:54:49 AM
what exactly is surface modeling or extrusions?

I  am assuming this is why surface modeled drawings are not viewable in Autocad....am I correct anyone?

I don't use AutoCAD, but I am able to view your surfaced model in Autodesk's DWG TrueView so I would assume that AutoCAD could read surface modeling. You do get a warning that the drawing was originated by a non-AutoCAD program.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* April 07, 2016, 12:05:39 PM
Is Autodesk's DWG TrueView an emulator to show folks what a non autocad created drawing looks like?

* April 07, 2016, 03:21:35 PM
Autodesk is the writer/developer of AutoCAD. DWG files are native AutoCAD format. TrueView will open just about any DWG file, weather done by AutoCAD or another program. If it was not done with AutoCAD, you get the warning I posted, but it will still open the file.
As someone else mentioned, TrueView is a free download available here: http://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg/viewers
This free download, eDrawings, will let you view Solid Works files: http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/ed/download.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:29:33 PM by Jason B »

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* April 08, 2016, 03:45:01 AM
Dean,

Here is an original detail drawing done in Auto Cad.

* April 08, 2016, 06:57:58 AM
That's not an original Acad drawing but for now, can you give me an idea of what changes might be made to this file.
I opened your dwg file in TC LTE Pro7, made a few changes saved as dwg then closed and re-opened the drawing and it looked ok.
Have you tried > always saving the file in LTE Pro 6 in dwg format?

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* April 11, 2016, 03:52:16 AM
You know Dean if that is not an Auto Cad file then i have no idea what it is. Long story, but i always assumed it was an auto cad fie since it came from the architect's side. I work for a public municipality and this drawing could go back years and it may have been modified multiple times, "who knows".....i guess add to that i am a novice with turbo cad and know even less about auto cad......Perhaps that is a recipe for the difficulties that i am having. I done some more editing such as deleting leaders and text and re-doing them from turbo cad and that seems to be working. My latest issues is with a symbol i created (it was an image (our logo)) that i inserted and turned into a symbol to insert into all of the details drawings. It is not showing up when the architect opens the DWG in auto cad.  Anyways i am working on that at the moment.
Thanks again for all your responses. They have been very helpful.