TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Newbie "Hello" and question
Read 2190 times
* January 06, 2010, 05:41:38 PM
Firstly let me say how pleased I am to be here. An active forum is a great place to find, especially when you are a newbie to a subject. I am quite familiar with the older "deluxe" versions of TurboCad but along with my version 15 Pro comes the big bowl of humility as I start to learn a new complex program.

Starting on 3D has been a frustrating challenge. As I reviewed some of the threads on this forum I recognized many of my mistakes in the posts of others, "Over exploding"parts, failing to close a profile correctly, not referring to the "selection info". I wish I was smart enough to make mistakes only once but that is not in my track-record!

A practical question if I can be so bold at this point. I am working on a project for a hand tool that basically looks like an electric drill. The 2D profile consists of a simply created mechanical working end for the tool but then I need to add an "ergonomic" handle which is designed using various curves. Predictably, this usually results in me getting a series of surfaces on extrusion instead of a 3D form. The handle design involves perhaps six independent curves that are supposed to meet end to end, it looks as though my problem is failure to connect the curves.
a. Should I, must I, join the independent curves into a polyline before extruding or should they extrude "as is"?
b. Is there any advantage from making the whole profile into a polyline?
c. Is there a way of detecting breaks in a polyline when joining or chaining? (I cannot detect the breaks visually even after zooming in.)

Thanks

* January 06, 2010, 06:15:54 PM

a. Should I, must I, join the independent curves into a polyline before extruding or should they extrude "as is"?

They'll extrude "as is," provided that 1) they're all on the same Workplane (NOT the same thing as "all on the same plane"); 2) they meet end-to-end with no gaps or overlaps; 3) you enable "Use compound profile" before extruding.

b. Is there any advantage from making the whole profile into a polyline?

Maybe. But I can't think what it would be ;-)  And sometimes that does more harm than good, because under some circumstances, the resulting Polyline contains a great many vertices and the resulting extrusion is strongly faceted and ugly.

c. Is there a way of detecting breaks in a polyline when joining or chaining? (I cannot detect the breaks visually even after zooming in.)

I don't know of any way -- except to assume there ARE breaks or overlaps, and then to manually adjust endpoints, vertex-snapping the endpoint of one entity to the endpoint of its neighbor (after selecting all components of the polyline-to-be and using Format|Place on Workplane).

Henry H
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:13:32 PM by Henry Hubich »

January 06, 2010, 06:59:48 PM
Welcome to the forum Brian. I'd like to add to Henry's advice re using a polyline. By invoking arc segment and using the grid, you'll get smooth transition from one curve to the next to the...
Usually, knowing how the part will be manufactured will be the governing factor on how you design & draw it.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* January 06, 2010, 09:15:12 PM
I have noticed one thing over the last few hours of working with the program that helps. This is that if you try to extrude a profile and there is a join error then the magenta selection line only appears part way around the profile line. If you go to the point where the magenta line stops that seems to be where the join error exists.

January 06, 2010, 09:57:42 PM
c. Is there a way of detecting breaks in a polyline when joining or chaining?

Welcome to the forum!

You can detect breaks in a spline or bezier curve using the Vertex Snap. Just try to snap an object to the curve with only the Vertex Snap active. If a break exists you'll find it.

With a polyline, assuming their aren't too many vertices, you could use the Edit Tool to move nodes around until you find the break and then undo. Or you could use the Split tool to add a break. If there was another break present you would be able to pull the two pieces apart to find the original break.

Also, if a seemingly closed profile won't accept a PickPoint Hatch it is likely to be open somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:01:41 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1