TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Numbering massive amounts of parts?
Read 3918 times
* December 28, 2009, 07:56:53 AM
I own TC 14. Say I have a drawing with around 600 bolts on it and I want each one to be numbered with little text labels on them. How do you pros do it?

I always thought it would be cool to have a tool like the polyline tool, where I could insert or delete nodes, but instead of drawing a line, each node would have a textual number. As nodes are inserted or deleted, the numbers would update accordingly.

At the moment I am copying around a text object, and manually updating the number I go. For the drawings I have to do, this is a very time consuming process.

It seems this task should be easily automatable. Is anyone else dealing with this?

* December 28, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
You could give the 'Drawing Markers' tool a try. It's found in the Toolbars and Menu.

don.

* December 28, 2009, 10:13:36 AM
Thanks, Don!

Much closer to what I wanted than what I was doing, but there are a few caveats. First, drawing markers won't obey snaps, so my results are messier with this approach. Second, I cannot seem to use SHX fonts with this tool. Third, I can't set a rotational value. I was doing my numbers rotated 90 degrees.

However, given the greater ease of use to this tool, I will make this work as best I can.

Maybe I should post these items into the wish list thread and see what the powers-that-be think...

I wonder, is there a way to select a bunch of these numbers and rotate them all by 90 degrees, not all around a central point, but by the center of each text object? Would the transform recorder be used for this?

* December 28, 2009, 11:37:21 AM
If you are using blocks... you could use Attributes. Each time you insert the block, it will prompt you for text.

One drawback is that the text will rotate if you rotate the part.

Oops... just noticed that you said the parts are already in the drawing. Attributes won't be any faster adding them now.... might be worth a try on your next layout, though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:51:50 AM by GregT »

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* December 28, 2009, 11:53:23 PM
Third, I can't set a rotational value. I was doing my numbers rotated 90 degrees.
Rotate your workplane by 90° (Z axis) before starting your marker routine.

December 29, 2009, 12:04:43 PM
Thanks, Don!

Much closer to what I wanted than what I was doing, but there are a few caveats. First, drawing markers won't obey snaps, so my results are messier with this approach. Second, I cannot seem to use SHX fonts with this tool. Third, I can't set a rotational value. I was doing my numbers rotated 90 degrees.

However, given the greater ease of use to this tool, I will make this work as best I can.

Maybe I should post these items into the wish list thread and see what the powers-that-be think...

I wonder, is there a way to select a bunch of these numbers and rotate them all by 90 degrees, not all around a central point, but by the center of each text object? Would the transform recorder be used for this?

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I asked them to include the marker tool (I think in v14), but it seems they have no desire to improve it to what it should be. 

Michael

* December 29, 2009, 02:33:32 PM
Thanks, Don!

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I asked them to include the marker tool (I think in v14), but it seems they have no desire to improve it to what it should be. 

Michael

The four Marker tools first appeared in V11 under the "Bonus" menu; a present from Mauritz. In V12, they moved to the "AddOns" menu. In V14, they finally took up permanent residence in the "Tools / Architecture" menu. I don't think anything has changed in them since V11.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 29, 2009, 07:41:37 PM
Thanks John,
I will give those a try, didn't even know that they were there!!
Min

* December 30, 2009, 05:53:28 AM
Thanks, Don!

Here's a couple things you could try, use Ctrl - A to select the drawing and rotate it 90 degrees. (As suggested in an earlier message by JRH) Use the Centre of Extents Snap to insert the Markers. To change the font to a SHX, press Ctrl - T, scroll down and select Group, all the markers will highlight, "Explode once" will change them to Text, with the selection  still highlighted, select the SHX font required, left mouse click to finish. Use Ctrl - A and rotate 270 degrees.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:05:46 AM by Don C Wensrich »

* December 31, 2009, 10:50:04 AM
...use Ctrl - A to select the drawing and rotate it 90 degrees. (As suggested in an earlier message by JRH)...
Rotating the drawing 90° is not quite the same as rotating the workplane 90°.

Also, don't forget that Select All (Ctrl+A) does not select hidden objects.  So rotating the drawing as you suggest would only rotate the displayed objects.

* December 31, 2009, 01:30:49 PM

Rotating the drawing 90° is not quite the same as rotating the workplane 90°.

Would you mind explaining the difference between the two.

Thanks

don

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 02, 2010, 06:58:24 AM
Would you mind explaining the difference between the two.
Not much for a simple drawing, but as a drawing [or model] increases in complexity it can be a rather drastic difference, mostly in regards to established references. Absolute coordinates (World), Named Workplanes, Named Views would no longer be valid.  Previously established Viewports would need to be redone.  Probably others.