TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

2015 Pro wall openings
Read 2894 times
* November 09, 2015, 09:24:35 PM

when I create 2D and 3D blocks, then place a wall opening using those blocks, the opening does not penetrate the wall as does a door or window. Only the outline of the opening is seen in hidden line, ISO. In wireframe all of the block is seen as an opening. I have tried all combinations of renderable, non-renderable etc, with the same result. If I turn on 'draw hidden line as dashed they show properly as dashed hidden lines.
What are the recommended settings to show a wall opening as an opening, ie: frame with no door in a 4" wall?

BG

TC2015 Pro, Win7, Lightworks

* November 10, 2015, 07:47:03 AM
What works for me: Create the frame in 3D and format it as a Block. Select the Opening tool and click on the Properties icon. Choose the Block in the 3D Representation window and click OK. Enable "Anchor to Wall" in the IBar. Drag with the mouse to put it in position and left-click to anchor it. Press the Spacebar to exit the Opening tool.

Henry H

November 10, 2015, 09:44:54 AM
What are you using for your Block?
It sounds like to me that you might be using a solid object (small "s", not to be confused with "ACIS Solid"), which, when viewed in 3D, results in both the Opening being open, but also filled with the solid object. (Such as a door that is closed, and/but is the same thickness as the wall.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:48:51 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 10, 2015, 10:11:36 AM
What are you using for your Block?
It sounds like to me that you might be using a solid object (small "s", not to be confused with "ACIS Solid"), which, when viewed in 3D, results in both the Opening being open, but also filled with the solid object. (Such as a door that is closed, and/but is the same thickness as the wall.)

Sounds likely, Alvin.

Henry H

* November 10, 2015, 11:18:31 AM
Alvin, you nailed it !

Henry, I will try your process tonight. In the past, I have used the Bottom of Wall Modifier tool.

BG

November 10, 2015, 12:24:50 PM
Alvin, you nailed it !

Henry, I will try your process tonight. In the past, I have used the Bottom of Wall Modifier tool.

BG

Try:

>After you've inserted the Block into the Wall, via the "Opening" Tool, select the Block object.
>In the Design Director Palette, click on "Graphic" in the upper pane, then click on "Create New"  "Add Graphic to Named List", then follow the prompts.
>Then, in the DD lower pane, click on the appropriate cell in the "Visible" cell, to make it Unvisible.

Should work for you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:43:37 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 10, 2015, 12:34:22 PM

>After you've inserted the Block into the Wall, via the "Opening" Tool, select the Block object.
>In the Design Director Palette, click on "Graphic" in the upper pane, then click on "Create New" "Add Graphic to Named List", then follow the prompts.
>Then, in the DD lower pane, click on the appropriate cell in the "Visible" cell, to make it Unvisible.

Should work for you.

Addendum to Post quoted above.  (Images added for clarification)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:43:06 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

November 10, 2015, 12:56:03 PM
Here is a video where I use the opening tool to insert a window downloaded from the SketchUp 3D warehouse.

https://youtu.be/mzRiYIO_-bc

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* November 10, 2015, 08:09:11 PM
Henry, Alvin and Rip, your tips worked nicely for me. Many thanks.
Too bad the 'Help' menu doesn't have the steps needed to get the job done.

BG