TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

How to show reachability
Read 4048 times
* September 16, 2015, 11:23:19 AM
I am doing some drawings for a large train layout made up of sections, each section having a top in two pieces which hinges open to expose a base where all the wiring is done.  Both the base and the top have a hatch for access.  The base hatch is used only in shipping and the top hatch is only opened for maintenance.  See attached NoReach for one version.

The problem I have is that I want to show how far a person can reach coming up out of any one of the hatches in order to be sure that everywhere that needs to be reached can be.  I have drawn 2D circles, which I then split and combined with lines to reflect that one can go to each corner of the hatch.  If I leave these whole and apply a brush, I can show the overlap of 3 different hatches, for example.  See UpperCorner for an example of this. 

However, if I then cut these 2D figures to eliminate the parts which are going off the diagram or which can't go through walls, then the hidden line view stops showing the brush.  I could extrude the 2D shape vertically, but I'm not sure what I would do to get it to show in hidden line.  If I was doing lighting and different materials, I could do lots of thinks, including transparency, but I don't think this project warrants that investment.

Any suggestions as to how to show this?

Thomas Mercer-Hursh, TC Pro 15

* September 16, 2015, 12:08:16 PM
The first time I drew one of these reach balloons, I drew a circle, split it into four quadrants, drew straight lines to connect the end points, and used join polyline to make a single 2D entity.  That I could apply a brush to and it would show.  After I 2D subtracted extra pieces, the brush no longer showed.

So, it having been decided that I need to change the reach to 40" instead of 36", I tried drawing an arc for one corner entirely in a box, then a rectangle to fill out the rest of the box, then split the rectangle at the end points of the arc, made sure with the edit tool that the end points of the arc and the end points of the remains of the rectangle aligned, and used join polygon to make it one 2D entity.  Now, if I apply a brush, it doesn't show.

Sigh.

* September 16, 2015, 12:15:44 PM
Made another try and it worked.  Fussy, fussy, fussy!

September 16, 2015, 11:23:58 PM
It's been my experience that 2D manipulations (Adding and Subtracting, mostly) cause the resulting objects to be considered Regions and these are resistant to manipulation.

If you have a problem, you can try Selecting and Exploding (once should be enough).  You can try the Selection Info mode (usually under the View menu) to display the type of object you have selected.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* September 17, 2015, 08:07:57 AM
Exploding did solve one of my other recent problems, but now I have a different issue.  Starting with a circle, I sliced off one half and then divided the remaining half in two.  One of those halves I compressed into an elliptical arc.  I then drew a line across the open base where the other half had been removed.  So, I have a lopsided half circle.

But, when I try to Join Polyline to make it into a single surface, Join Polyline is grayed out!

So, I saved the drawing, closed it, and re-opened and now I can Join Polyline.  So, I do the join, checking each intersection at maximum zoom to make sure the ends touch and I now have a continuous line ... but, applying a brush gives me nothing.

It all seems so random!

* September 17, 2015, 08:26:57 AM
re: …applying a Brush gives me nothing.

Select the joined polyline with the "Edit Tool". When you right-click, does the Local Menu show "Close" as an available option? If you choose "Close", the Brush pattern will probably appear.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* September 17, 2015, 08:36:15 AM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!   Didn't know that was there.  Solved in a trice!

* September 17, 2015, 08:50:03 AM
Good to hear.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* September 17, 2015, 08:54:15 AM
OK, let me turn this up a notch and see if I can do better.  Attached is a view where there are four units of the layout, each of which has an access hatch.  The nearest one has the cover open to expose the area for wiring.  The cover is *not* split in the middle because it is split along the line of the hatch to provide better access through that hole to the unit on the other side.  I have drawn three horizontal figures showing the reachability from the closest hatch, the hatch to the left, and the hatch in the opposite corner.  There is no real access from the hatch in the remaining unit since the open cover is in the way.  On this open cover, I have three corresponding rectangle showing what is reachable on that vertical surface from the three hatches.

So, first problem is that the 2D reachability figures are not hidden by the hidden line view as one would expect them to be by the portion of the cover which is vertical closest to us.  I think if they were hidden, the image would make more sense.

Second, is there a different representation which would make more visual sense?

* September 17, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
Color helps a little

* September 19, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Thomas, can you post the .tcw?

Henry H

* September 20, 2015, 11:32:37 AM
I have just attached it to my new thread on printing to PDF
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,17592.0.html

* September 21, 2015, 06:10:53 PM
"So, first problem is that the 2D reachability figures are not hidden by the hidden line view as one would expect them to be by the portion of the cover which is vertical closest to us.  I think if they were hidden, the image would make more sense."

In Vi5, I don't think it's possible to make a 3D object hide part of a 2D object. (It can be done in those later versions that offer Redsdk rendering.) The usual remedy in v15 is to make the 2D object into a 3D object. For a hatch pattern, this is done by exploding twice and assigning a nonzero "World" Pen Width and a nonzero 3D Thickness.

Henry H

* September 24, 2015, 07:49:04 AM
I will try to remember to experiment with this ... but the concept has shifted a bit and mostly removed the issue ... meaning, of course, that I have to redraw everything, but it seems like a better solution.