TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Selection Info Palette in Pro v16
Read 3179 times
* May 24, 2009, 10:20:59 AM
I'm trying to learn 3D modeling.  I moved from TurboCad Pro 6 to Pro 16, and purchased the 3D training.  I'm working through section 3, and have been frustrated that they frequently tell you to do something without taking you through all step.  I've spent a lot of time just looking for certain menus which show up in the training manual or HELP file but are not on my screen.  I'm hoping at some point they'll show how to modify the menus...

But I have a very specific question relating to session 3.  It keeps telling me to go to the Selection Info Palette and modify a box or prism by selecting and changing the properties.  I never see the "box" or "prism" in my palette like they show in the training. Am I missing something?  Attached is a picture from my screen with the prism highlighted (but not shown in the lower part of the Selection Info Palette (the prism in the upper part of the pallete does nothing when you try and select).  The lower part of the picture is a screen dump from the 3D training.  It shows the "prism" in the palette.

On another note, it seems like sometime I can easily (logically?) examine the part using a mouse or a space ball.  Other times it almost seem like the part is roating about some center way off in space.  When I played around with 3D in Pro v6 (only mouse). I had the same problem.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Tom

[attachment deleted by admin]

* May 24, 2009, 11:23:16 AM
I see what you're seeing in V16 Deluxe, but not in my copy of Pro (Platinum edition). Someone else came across a similar problem in the Basic Pro edition; the Style Manager did not contain all the Styles. It seems they're trying tailor each edition to a certain set of tools/features, but aren't doing a great job of it. Still a lot of kinks to be ironed out.

re: seem like the part is rotating about some center way off in space.
I added the Command "View / Camera / ViewToDrawingCenter" to my PopUp-1 toolbar; it helps sometimes.

John R.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:31:30 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 25, 2009, 06:39:04 AM
Tom,

I have v15 pro not 16. If I create a prism by drawing a 2D polygon and giving it a thickness, then the prism property does not appear in the selection palette. It looks similar to your drawing.

If I create a prism by drawing a 2D polygon and then selecting simple extude I get
'Simple Extrude' in the selection palette.

If I create a prism by selecting a 3D polygonal prism from the 3D menu then the 'Prism' property does appear in my selection palette as per your 3D training example.

Steve

Steve

TurboCAD 2018 Pro Platinum 64-bit (V25 build 49)

Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

TurboCAD 2016 Pro Platinum 64-bit (build 57.2)
Lightwoks Plug-

* May 25, 2009, 09:47:41 AM
Thanks for the response.  I just received the following note from TurboCad.  I'm including my comments back to them:

Dear Tom,

Most likely you have Basic Edition of TurboCAD. Please click Help/About TurboCAD to see the inscription at the top of the panel brought up to check this.
Basic Edition doesn’t have these properties. You need to have Mechanical or Full edition to have such properties like radius, height, etc. available after object’s creation.

As regards rotating, it depends on target point. So, if you have a problem with rotating an object, select this object, go to View | Camera | Properties -> Camera page and enter into Target point fields - coordinates of this object (they should be displayed in the Pos X, Pos Y and Pos Z fields of the Inspector Bar).

Ksenia Novitskaya
IMSIDesign Technical Support

Dear Ksenia,

Thanks for your quick response.  I checked and have Pro v16 Basic version.

The manual that came with my version does not state that Mechanical or full is required to access these properties, nor does the 3D training.  I've already spent untold hours struggling through the first three 3D training sessions looking for these menus when apparently they are not there.  Can I expect the same for the remaining eleven 3D training sessions?

Is there any documentation I can see which clearly compares the feature of the various "Pro" versions?

Thank you,

Tom

* May 31, 2009, 07:16:08 PM

I work with 'Camera Centered' and 'Auto Targeting' both on. (Camera Properties)
Sometimes TC loses the target.
If you zoom out one step, then back in, it will pick it back up, and the model should rotate around the desired target.

Adam

* July 02, 2009, 09:09:19 AM

I work with 'Camera Centered' and 'Auto Targeting' both on. (Camera Properties)
Sometimes TC loses the target.
If you zoom out one step, then back in, it will pick it back up, and the model should rotate around the desired target.

Adam

Thanks Adam,
I've been dealing with this off and on for a bit now too.  Your suggestion helped.