TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Moving an object with snaps or along a plan
Read 2097 times
* December 18, 2009, 01:54:48 PM
Does anyone know how to move an object to the right in the x field but locking the y so that it does not shift if parallel to other items?

Doing a floor and wanted to move boards staggered.  I wanted to move it to right but not change the spaces between the boards.

I have been moving it by dragging the board.  I change the reference point to the edge and then snap it to the vertex point I need. works fine as to x point but then the item shifts on the Y so I end up have to adjust or have a shifted board. 

Can anyone answer the above question and then offer any ideas that is a better way to do it?  Have 14 to 15 boards to stagger.

William

* December 18, 2009, 02:22:51 PM
I think the best way is to use the Delta fields. Select all the boards, Tab over to the "Delta X" field, enter the amount you want to move.

You can also select and pick up the objects, then hold down the Shift key while moving. This will temporarily constrain your movement to Ortho angles.

If you don't see Delta fields in the Inspector Bar, open "Selector…Properties" from the Local Menu and turn those parameters on.

If you're attempting to create a series of boards from one board, use the "Edit / Copy Entities / Linear" tool.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 18, 2009, 02:46:00 PM
Hey thanks that worked to have the movement move in the x field. It moved it in small enough increments to work.  I was not able this way to snap to the end.  For what I am doing this will work fine.

I am not sure exactly what the delta fields are. I think I missed that day in math class.  I tried to move it a foot inches distance and didn't work but just left it in inches which I had it in,  (Using Archetechual) and it moved fine and I was able to adjust it.

What is the number in the delta representing?  If you know/
William

* December 18, 2009, 03:05:44 PM
What is the number in the delta representing? 

It represents how far you want to move the selected object or objects.

Henry H

* December 18, 2009, 03:51:49 PM
re: I tried to move it a foot inches distance and didn't work

Try something like 2' 6 7/8 as opposed to 2'6 7/8; you need a space between feet and inches.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 19, 2009, 09:12:24 PM
Thanks and yes that worked.

William

* December 19, 2009, 10:07:55 PM
You can lock any axis by hitting x, y, or z keys when your object's selected, too.  Doing so checks the small boxes in front of each coordinate bottom right of the screen, you can only move in those axes unchecked .  Pressing the key again unlocks it.