TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Copying blocks query
Read 2230 times
June 11, 2015, 04:09:54 AM
Been trying to master Blocks. Just wondering,what is the best way to copy a block? Did a bit of a search but couldn't fine much. I created my 'Block' then used the Copy button in Block Palette to copy it so I can edit it's content, including attributes, and when I finish Editing_Content, it creates a new block (icon) in block palette but not a new block in model space (if that makes sense). I didn't let this phase me and tried inserting the original block into another drawing (tile windows and drag), this worked fine, but when I inserted the copied block and got message 'do you wish to override block attributes' or something similar and it deleted the copied block from the block palette.

Is there a better way of copying blocks or am I just doing it wrong, or not completely.

TCPro2015 / TCPro18  / Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 5500 NVIDEA GeForce 930M

June 11, 2015, 04:48:01 AM
Hi Steve

I use blocks extensively as they save me a lot of time designing kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms.
I use them mainly to replace existing frontal graphics and door pulls etc. in my drawings to change the style/design.
Most of the time I use symbols that contain the Blocks which behave like you mention dragging them in from another drawing.

The warning about overriding the Block I always okay/yes to this and click do not show again. Like you have found, if you don't the block disappears in the dragged in symbol/block.
Although Copy & Paste works I avoid this most of the time it is not efficient as it's loading the graphics to the Windows Clipboard which can take more time to store the block. Maybe Windows/TC is creating the OLE data (to paste into other apps like Word/Excel etc) which processing adds time.

Here's a link to a Youtube Video showing how I use the Symbol/Block/Replace method - http://youtu.be/3NEEtfwCCeA

Note I have to do a switch to Paperspace to get RedSDK Native Draw to update Modelspace properly with the graphic changes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:03:17 AM by Darrel Durose »

Daz…

V2020 & V2019 Plat 64bit + REDsdk Plugin, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* June 11, 2015, 07:27:16 AM
Been trying to master Blocks. Just wondering,what is the best way to copy a block? Did a bit of a search but couldn't fine much. I created my 'Block' then used the Copy button in Block Palette to copy it so I can edit it's content, including attributes, and when I finish Editing_Content, it creates a new block (icon) in block palette but not a new block in model space (if that makes sense). I didn't let this phase me and tried inserting the original block into another drawing (tile windows and drag), this worked fine, but when I inserted the copied block and got message 'do you wish to override block attributes' or something similar and it deleted the copied block from the block palette.

Is there a better way of copying blocks or am I just doing it wrong, or not completely.

Depends upon why you want to copy it. If it's because you want to put more copies of the same Block into your drawing, you can either drag them from the Blocks palette directly into the drawing, or else use the Copy in Place tool on a Block that's already in the drawing.

If you want to change a Block in such a way that all of the copies already in the drawing will incorporate the change, select it in the Blocks palette, click the Edit Content button, make the desired changes, and then click the green checkmark icon ("Finish to Edit Block") at the top of the palette.

If you want to make a change that will not affect the existing copies, drag a new copy from the palette into the drawing, explode it one time (thus removing its "Block" status), make the changes, then format it as a brand-new Block with a brand-new name.

Henry H

June 11, 2015, 07:47:57 AM
Also to add to Henry's methods.

There is also xRef's which load graphics from existing TC drawings that reference those files and are added to your Blocks. The advantage of using these is that the Geometry data is not saved with your drawings.

See the wiki help of xRef's here - http://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TC18UG/External+References

Daz…

V2020 & V2019 Plat 64bit + REDsdk Plugin, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

June 12, 2015, 04:29:04 PM
Thanks guys :) I found your youtube clip a bit tricky to follow Darren, but have subscribed and hopefully one day I will be on a similar level. Probably just too advanced for me right now but good to have for future training. I think I've got a handle on the block copying situation and managed to make some Plan Title blocks etc. Just trying to establish good technique for doing things earlier than later....hopefully save myself a lot of headaches.

Cheers.

TCPro2015 / TCPro18  / Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 5500 NVIDEA GeForce 930M