TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Title Block?
Read 8052 times
* December 15, 2009, 01:57:23 PM
I would like to create a title block, and am trying to figure the best way to do this.  In my AutoCAD class it was suggested that such a title block would be created as a "block", but if I understand TC correctly if I create a block it will be stored only in the drawing file.  Maybe this is ok, I could make a drawing which is the title block itself, and drag it from that drawing to whatever drawing I'm working on.  However, it seems that maybe I want to create it as a "symbol" so it can be stored as its own file?  Am I on the right track here? 

Also, I'm guessing the title block needs to be created in paper space, correct? 

Eric

* December 15, 2009, 02:53:51 PM
Create your block then save slide the block into your drawing. 

The block doesn't care whether the creation of insertion occurs in model or paper space.

Then save your drawing as a TurboCAD template (*.tct).  It is best to do this in the Templates Directory creating during the TC install.

* December 15, 2009, 03:09:47 PM

* December 15, 2009, 03:43:03 PM
Also, I'm guessing the title block needs to be created in paper space, correct? 

Yet another approach for a title block, this idea works well for my needs. It was all done full size in model space, I created blocks for all the items such as date, project name, etc. that change with each job. I saved it as a .TCW file and store it in a separate folder. Anyhow the ideas for title pages are many, your more than welcome to have a look thru the attached.

don

[attachment deleted by admin]

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* December 15, 2009, 05:20:44 PM
I created my Title Blocks and saved them as Symbols in a "Blocks Library" and can then drag them onto any work space I need them on. If they are grouped they will scale to the drawing size you have set up.

* December 16, 2009, 06:44:58 AM
I created my Title Blocks and saved them as Symbols in a "Blocks Library" and can then drag them onto any work space I need them on. If they are grouped they will scale to the drawing size you have set up.

I use a similar method but I do not understand your last sentence about grouping and scaling to the drawing size. Could you elaborate?  Thanks.

December 16, 2009, 09:26:48 AM
My approach is a bit different. I create my border/title in model space - of course at 1 : 1 scale. 99% of my paper size is 24"x36" so the extents of my border are something like (forget exact measurement) 23"x35". 100% of my drawings are printed to Acrobat first so 1/2" (maybe 5/8"?) margins are fine. When I have it just the way I want it, I save it as a TCW file in a special folder I created called XREF_TitleBlocks.

Sometime during my drawing project, I decide to bring in my Title Block. I go to [format] [create external reference] and navigate to my [XREF_TitleBlocks] folder and select the border/title I want. When TC asks for XREF name, type in the same name you gave it as a drawing so you do not become confused later. Click on your blocks palette and it will be there. Drag it out into model space. Create a viewport. Switch to paper space. Insert that viewport, and carefully position it on the proper sized paper.

Some tips: always create these "XREFS" (TC glorified blocks) on layer 0 - all entities. Also, check to make sure there are no other layers in your soon-to-be XREF drawing - only layer 0. Make sure you have nothing in your blocks palette. In short, a clean drawing. Since my drawings (PDF files) end up being sent out and printed on B/W printer(s). I also create everything using a grayscale colors - most of which is 0,0,0.

Hope that helps. Post here if you have trouble.  By the way, XREFS in TC are a different animal than XREFS in AC. In TC, they are merely glorified blocks. If you try to apply anything from AC XREFS to TC, you will waste a lot of time and be sorely disappointed.

Michael

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:33:37 AM by Mike Hall »

* December 16, 2009, 10:04:28 AM
Some of the drawings I send need to be different sizes 11" x 17" printed  for in office use and some I send to architects in "D' size or some request odd sizes for some reason or another. I drag the Symbol to the Paper Space and size it to the drawing page I am working on. Having the Title Block in Symbols keeps it handy as it is always on the library pallet.

* December 16, 2009, 12:55:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies.  I now have several things to work from.  And more to learn.  This has been very helpful, thanks again.

Eric

Eric

December 18, 2009, 02:06:55 PM
Some of the drawings I send need to be different sizes 11" x 17" printed  for in office use and some I send to architects in "D' size or some request odd sizes for some reason or another. I drag the Symbol to the Paper Space and size it to the drawing page I am working on. Having the Title Block in Symbols keeps it handy as it is always on the library pallet.

Working with and using symbols in TC used to be dangerous. Perhaps they fixed it? Once I develop a pattern of use that I get along with and does not cause me problems, I stick with it and seldom re-evaluate.

Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:38:05 PM by Mike Hall »