TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

2D spine to 3d spine
Read 4315 times
* December 14, 2009, 08:14:01 PM
I am using TC 14.2 in windows. Can you convert a 2d spine to a 3d spine? I drew some shapes using the 2d spine. Now I change my mind and decided to draw it in 3d, but I can not simple extrude the spine. That's because its still a 2d spine right?

* December 14, 2009, 09:16:11 PM
Can you convert a 2d spine to a 3d spine?

Afraid not.

Now I change my mind and decided to draw it in 3d, but I can not simple extrude the spine. That's because its still a 2d spine right?

You should be able to simple extrude a 2D spline. Switch to an isometric view; activate the Simple Extrude tool; click on the spline and release the mouse button; drag upward (or downward) and you should see the extrusion forming. To finish, either click again with the mouse -- or TAB to the Height field of the Inspector Bar, type the desired height, and press Enter.

Henry H

* December 14, 2009, 09:19:03 PM
As far as I can tell, you can do a Simple Extrude on either a 2D or 3D Spline. Unfortunately, if the 3D Spline has nodes above/below the workplane, it will come out messed up. In that case, you probably will have better luck making a copy of the 3D Spline and using the Loft tool on the two splines.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* December 15, 2009, 10:56:02 AM
Well, I can not simple extrude the 2d spine. I can see the dimension moving in the inspection bar and the spine is highlighted but i see nothing being pasted. What I have is a airplane former that i have traced from a picture using the spine tool. The spine is broken up with joined polylines (where stringers run though around the edge). I can extrude the polylines but not the spines. I had to reload TC because of a glitch i had not to long ago, do i have to reload again?

* December 15, 2009, 11:12:20 AM
... do i have to reload again?

Probably not. It sounds as if your splines and polylines are not properly connected, end to end, or else they're not all on the same Workplane -- or both. Can you post the file?

Henry H

* December 15, 2009, 12:12:45 PM
Here is the file i am having the problem with. Also when i click on a spine, the grid moves.
Thanks for the help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* December 15, 2009, 03:10:17 PM
Here is the file i am having the problem with. Also when i click on a spine, the grid moves.
Thanks for the help.

The splines and polylines do not all lie on the same Workplane (which is why the grid moves), AND they do not meet properly at their endpoints. You can sidestep both of these problems by applying The Ol' Hatch Trick, which automatically creates a single extrudeable Polyline outlining the whole shebang. Here's how...

1. First thing to do is modify the splines to reduce the total number of vertices in the drawing to a manageable number: Press Ctrl+T; select "Curve" from the list; click OK. Click the "Properties" icon on the Inspector Bar; click "Curve" in the left hand window of the Properties dialog; change "The number of segments between adjacent control points" to 2; click OK. (You don't normally want to use such a small value, but I think it's OK here because the splines are not strongly curved.)

2. Press Ctrl+A to select everything in the drawing; press and hold Shift while you click the two centerlines and thus de-select them. Open the Format menu and click "Create Hatch."

3. Go to an Isometric view; activate the Simple Extrude tool; click on the newly created Hatch; extrude it as outlined in my earlier post.

Henry H

* December 15, 2009, 07:29:25 PM
That works. Its kind of a round about way, but it works.
Thanks for the help Henry, I know who to go to now with questions. I taught myself TC a long time ago but never went on to 3d. I have been working on learing that lately.
Thanks
Terry