TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

"Cropping" an OLE Object (Open Office Text Document)
Read 4493 times
April 12, 2015, 03:20:15 AM
Need some help.

I'm using Open Office (external of TurboCAD), and have created a "Text Document" (Open Office's equivalent to MS Word) that simply has one table in it that is 7.5"Wide-by-6"Tall.
In Open Office, I formatted the Page such that there are 0" margins, page-size=7.5"x6".  I even went into the Printer Settings and created a custom paper size in my PDF-program that is also that size.

Issue:  When I insert that OLE Object into TurboCAD, it's size is something like 11"square, with the 7.5"x6" Table being the correct size, but just a bunch of extraneous space, as if it is trying to insert a whole 11"square sheet or something.

Anything
that I am doing wrong?  Am I limited in using an O.O. Text (or Word) document?  Can it be "cropped" in TurboCAD?, or re-sized such that its boundaries only encompass the table?
By the way, after "cropping", I will likely also want to scale it a bit to fit in the allotted space in a Paperspace sheet.

I believe that I could do this successfully using spreadsheet documents in the past.  In those cases, only the portion of the document that actually had something written in it "pasted" into TurboCAD; and I could scale (re-size).

Thanks for any help all-- Alvin

(the attached .obj file is the Open Office document; please change the extension to .odt after downloading, if you have Open Office)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:43:02 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

April 12, 2015, 03:59:24 AM
This may be what I have to do:

In Open Office, if I Zoom=100%, then re-size that Open Office desktop window such that only the Table is visible, then Save, then-- in TurboCAD either re-Insert or "Update Link"-- I get the results I am after.

Do all Text, Spreadsheet, etc. documents behave this way in TurboCAD when inserted as OLE Objects?

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 12, 2015, 06:56:43 AM
Alvin,

I don't have open office, I created a table on a 7.5x6 paper in word 2010 (wouldn't let me put 0 margins) Insert/Object the file displayed at it's size in word less the margins.  Took your word file without opening it, did the same and got and it dimensioned 7.51"x5.88".  Could be an open office issue.

I couldn't find a way to crop the ole object in Tcad.

You can scale like you would any other object in tcad, don't forget to select Keep Aspect Ratio.

Interesting thing is that it came in illegible until I zoomed in and pressed f5 redraw and any redraw afterwards would adjust the line thickness relative to the zoom, is this normal for ole objects?  It also didn't display properly when I tried to edit it, its margins looked to be cut to its size on screen.

used Tcad 2015

"edit" Try putting .13" margins, maybe open office defaults to 11x11 when 0 margins is used?

Matthew
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:04:36 AM by RCFlyingKnight »

Just a hobby user.
TurboCAD Vr. 18.2 Platinum
TurboCAD Vr. 2015 Platinum
TurboCAD Vr. 2016 Platinum
PC - Intel i7, 3.2 GHz, 32GB RAM, Window 10 64bit
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1GB RAM

April 12, 2015, 01:25:21 PM
Alvin,

I don't have open office, ...

Matthew

Thank you Matthew.  Yes, it does seem to be something particular to Open Office.  When I use MS Word-- which I don't because I am still in "free trial period" and want to save the uses-- it behaves differently and better.

As you said in your edit, if I play with the margins settings and the Open Office Table Properties' spaces around the sides, it seems to help.
_________
I have had issue-- and have heard of others having issue-- with certain inserted OLE Objects zooming in-and-out (and loosing some of the view of the Object) when zooming in-and-out in TurboCAD.
   I think TurboCAD's OLE Object function is just want of those things that is not 100%, and just has to be played with-- differently, each time maybe-- until the desired or good enough results are achieved. (which I did; and hurried and printed to PDF)

Thanks again Matthew!-- Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* April 12, 2015, 04:23:38 PM
This may be what I have to do:

In Open Office, if I Zoom=100%, then re-size that Open Office desktop window such that only the Table is visible, then Save, then-- in TurboCAD either re-Insert or "Update Link"-- I get the results I am after.

Do all Text, Spreadsheet, etc. documents behave this way in TurboCAD when inserted as OLE Objects?

Alvin,

FWIW, I  start with INSERT at the top of the screen, select PICTURE and select As Object to Insert my Word Docs into TC. The attached is my template cover, the materials list is the  Word Doc and inserts as shown in the attachment.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

April 12, 2015, 04:49:28 PM
Alvin,

FWIW, I  start with INSERT at the top of the screen, select PICTURE and select As Object to Insert my Word Docs into TC. The attached is my template cover, the materials list is the  Word Doc and inserts as shown in the attachment.

Thanks Don.  I'll give it a try.  -Alvin

_________
Tried it.  Doesn't work with an Open Office "Text" document (Open Office's version of a Microsoft Word document).
However, if-- in Open Office-- I "Save As" a MS Word file, then I can get it to work.

Didn't know we can do that  (Insert>Picture>As Object).  But it makes sense-- since discovering today that TurboCAD is pretty much treating inserted OLE Objects as images.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:53:02 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* April 12, 2015, 11:44:58 PM
Alvin,
just copy the text and paste in a 7'' wide Multi text box  > adjust text  a little to fit > or
print a pdf from word  insert underlay in V20 scale =1

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (NO Redsdk Plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

April 13, 2015, 04:25:31 AM
Alvin,
just copy the text and paste in a 7'' wide Multi text box  > adjust text  a little to fit > or
print a pdf from word  insert underlay in V20 scale =1

Both suggestions good workarounds.  Thanks Dean.

Alvin Gregorio