TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Deluxe 2015 Can't Print rendered drawing
Read 9451 times
March 21, 2015, 09:55:39 AM
I can't print a draft or quality rendered drawing from model or paper space. I've been through all the setup dialogs and they all look like what they should be. While researching online I'm discovering the pitfalls of RedSDK over Lightworks. So I switched back to Deluxe v21 and everything prints fine as it should. Probably all my problems are with RedSDK. I also notice that lines in a drawings don't look as smooth in v2015 as they did in v21.

Any ideas on getting 2015 with RedSDK to print properly? I just get a blank space where the rendered object should be.

thanks,  -phil

March 22, 2015, 11:58:40 PM
If all you had to do was switch back to V21, then I expect that you created originally in V21, but didn't change your Rendering options V2015.  Right-click on the Rendering Quality setting to see what it says.  If it's blank, then you have to switch over to RedSDK.  You will probably also have to re-specify your Materials.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

March 23, 2015, 11:32:49 AM
The file was originally created in v21 and I opened it up in v2015. I did go thru and set all pertinent settings for RedSDK but the printing is still not right. When I switched back to v21 I did a save-as in v2015 to a v21 version.

I also tried a fresh, brand new drawing in v2015 and it still doesn't print the Quality rendered image. This is true when printing from Model or Paper space.

Here's a summary of what I'm seeing on the printed page. RedSdk is selected as the rendering type where available. For Hidden line type I also tried setting the rendering type to Hidden Line, as that is another choice and the correct hidden line drawing is printed. It was just RedSdk that printed incorrectly.

Model Space
(Rendering selected, what is printed)
Wire frame, wire frame
Hidden Line, wire frame
Draft, wire frame
Quality, wire frame

Paper Space  For paper space I had 2 viewports defined. One was wire frame only and the 2nd one was where I tried the different rendering type choices.
(Rendering selected, what is printed)
wire frame, wire frame
hidden line, wire frame
draft, wire frame
quality, blank
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:36:00 AM by vbphil »

March 23, 2015, 11:49:39 AM
What are you doing for lighting?  Because the setup between RedSDK and LightWorks is VERY different.  I am just now beginning to learn what's what, so I hesitate to instruct you, but you could read the thread here: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,16158.0.html

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

March 23, 2015, 12:51:32 PM
Funny you should mention that post. I've been following that. Well, in Lightworks and v21 I never really did much lighting setups. It was always true that if I saw it on the screen it printed the same. Maybe I was just lucky that it worked that way for me. I figured it would be the same in v2015, if i could see it, it would print.

I'll play around with lighting to see if it makes any difference as to what I see printed.

BTW.... I hate the Verification letters that you have to match in order to post here on this forum. I have the hardest time reading those letters.

-phil
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:56:52 AM by vbphil »

March 23, 2015, 01:01:49 PM

BTW.... I hate the Verification letters that you have to match in order to post here on this forum. I have the hardest time reading those letters.

-phil

Phil,

if you persevere, this will no longer be necessary.  After a certain number of posts, you won't be required to verify.   8)

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:01:11 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

March 24, 2015, 04:39:02 AM
The lighting appears okay. I think if it were messed up I would notice it on the screen. I'm using the default set of lights, about 6 of them. If I create a new drawing from scratch and draw a simple 3D box the first time I select Quality rendering it prompts that no lights have been defined and then it can load the set of defaults.

I guess I'll have to contact Customer service and have them take a look. Just haven't found the time. I have a day job to take care of.

-phil

March 24, 2015, 05:28:12 AM
You can't print any rendered viewports from paper space using RedSDK. Is is not currently possible.

Looks like you can't print rendered models from Model Space either using RedSDK. Is is not currently possible.

Looks like your only option is to save a rendered image from model space and insert the image into paper space, but then you have no cad functions available to you. If you want to do rendered work with TC 2015, you really need to buy the LightWorks add-in and work in GDI. Turn RedSDK off and never look at it again if you have a choice.

Moral of this story is that TC 2015 is useless to anyone who wants any kind of professional CAD package with render capabilities and doesn't fork out for the LightWorks add-on. TC 2015 is useless to me as a program for work. I will continue to use TC 21 for anything work related and will only use TC2015 (RedSDK only) for tutoring purposes to teach others RedSDK. I fear that based on comments in another thread that due to cost and the small percentage of users that do rendering according to Travis, that we will see LightWorks disappear completely down the road. That seems obvious to me. When I read of all the issues I see TC 2015 users having and the ones I experience myself I feel like jumping ship and moving to a different CAD package. I am so disappointed with the road taken with the development of TC 2015. It was like saying goodbye to one's best friend, from a product that was truly an all encompassing general CAD program to a half baked fraud.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:31:26 AM by Don Cheke »

March 24, 2015, 01:13:50 PM
Well. I spoke to TurboCAD support. The printing behavior I've been experiencing is normal for 2015 and RedSdk. In other words printing rendered objects to my laser as I've done with the multitude of TurboCAD versions throughout the years is no more. They suggested I save the file as JPEG and then print. Or, use v21 and v2015 side by side.

I tried a couple prints with a save-as to JPEG and it sucks. There is probably some optimum settings to get it to come out but I'm not going to waste my time.

I'm returning v2105 for a refund and will use v21 in the meantime.

Guess I'll look into using Google's SketchUp.

-phil

March 24, 2015, 02:52:41 PM
Installing the LightWorks Plug-in fixes this issue. I'm guessing you already know this. If not, look into it.

* March 25, 2015, 12:46:53 AM
After a lot of work I have reverted to TC21DL and am also demanding a refund. This is unacceptable.
John Bateson

March 25, 2015, 04:53:32 AM
I tried viewing information on the Lightworks plugin from the TurboCAD store but the link isn't working for me. I can't get to the product page. I was curious how much the Lightworks plugin would cost for Deluxe v2015? It should be a free option for those of us that upgraded to v2015 from a previous release.

* March 25, 2015, 06:21:38 AM
lightworks plug-in page works ok here, maybe it was down earlier, cheaper for deluxe than pro.

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCAD-Windows/Plug-ins/LightWorks-Plug-in-for-TurboCAD#9970260-overview
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:23:41 AM by Andy H »

March 25, 2015, 06:40:14 AM
lightworks plug-in page works ok here, maybe it was down earlier, cheaper for deluxe than pro.

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCAD-Windows/Plug-ins/LightWorks-Plug-in-for-TurboCAD#9970260-overview

A user should probably call sales to inquire about the difference in cost. Maybe some functions have been removed for the Deluxe version. That has been the norm to make Deluxe less costly.

March 25, 2015, 02:08:43 PM
You can't print any rendered viewports from paper space using RedSDK. Is is not currently possible.

Looks like you can't print rendered models from Model Space either using RedSDK. Is is not currently possible.

Looks like your only option is to save a rendered image from model space and insert the image into paper space, but then you have no cad functions available to you. If you want to do rendered work with TC 2015, you really need to buy the LightWorks add-in and work in GDI. Turn RedSDK off and never look at it again if you have a choice.

I've got to wonder how the product made it out the door when it is so severely limited.  I cannot even print a rendered object to PDF (which is my go-to workaround for printing limitations); I cannot even print a Hidden Line in RedSDK (although the other Hidden Line mode will print).

Jeff

March 26, 2015, 08:57:29 AM
RedSDK is limited in its printing ability due to Hardware acceleration.

March 26, 2015, 10:24:28 AM

I'm curious... weren't people able to print RedSDK in V21?  Is the absence of LightWorks in 2015 the explanation for these problems now?

Jeff

March 26, 2015, 11:11:03 AM
As far as I understand it. Printing with RedSDK has never been possible for printing anything other than wireframe.

RedSDK is perfectly capable of doing the renders but it can't print them. You can save them as PNG files though. Once you install LightWorks everything works just like it did if not better than it did in v21.

* March 26, 2015, 11:12:38 AM

I'm curious... weren't people able to print RedSDK in V21? Is the absence of LightWorks in 2015 the explanation for these problems now?

Jeff

I just tried that, Jeff. after reading your question. Printing a Redstuff render from model space in v21 Pro 32-Bit produces a wireframe for me, not a rendering. Doesn't matter which Redstuff render mode I choose.

Henry H

March 26, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
That being the case, it was very short-sighted of IMSI to release a 'professional' CAD package that can't do any more than save pictures that have to be imported into other applications to print, with all the attendant problems if you don't match image size to the application.

I need to create PDF documents while technical writing and, while Hidden Line is usually adequate, I still use Quality renderings for cover pages and detail visualization assistance.  I just printed to PDF a render and it came out a white page.

I took advantage of the 'introductory' pricing to get a good discount on 2015, but declined to get the LightWorks plug-in (which is now $100 more expensive now that the introductory price period has expired).

I can still use V21, so I don't have to get the plug-in, but if IMSI were to resume the introductory pricing now that all the drawbacks of a RedSDK-only application are becoming more widely known, I'd pop for it.

Jeff

March 26, 2015, 01:07:01 PM

Moral of this story is that TC 2015 is useless to anyone who wants any kind of professional CAD package with render capabilities and doesn't fork out for the LightWorks add-on. TC 2015 is useless to me as a program for work. I will continue to use TC 21 for anything work related and will only use TC2015 (RedSDK only) for tutoring purposes to teach others RedSDK. I fear that based on comments in another thread that due to cost and the small percentage of users that do rendering according to Travis, that we will see LightWorks disappear completely down the road. That seems obvious to me. When I read of all the issues I see TC 2015 users having and the ones I experience myself I feel like jumping ship and moving to a different CAD package. I am so disappointed with the road taken with the development of TC 2015. It was like saying goodbye to one's best friend, from a product that was truly an all encompassing general CAD program to a half baked fraud.

When a very experience and respected User and Teacher of TurboCAD makes the above comments and people start asking for a refund..............There should be, (and I hope their are), ALARM BELLS ringing at IMSI.

If users perceptions are that the development road taken is a retrograde step then no amount of in depth or technical explanations will alter that perception and I speak from personal experience.

I the case I was involved with we ended up reversing our decision and reverting to the previous technical specifications of the product.

So............unless IMSI has a death wish, withdraw, regroup and review.

Respectfully
Bob

TC 14 Deluxe, TC 19 Pro
Windows 7, 64bit 8GB Ram

* April 07, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
but declined to get the LightWorks plug-in (which is now $100 more expensive now that the introductory price period has expired).
WHAT!

Here in the UK I never saw any offer of $100 for the Lightworks plug-in so now I am even more upset and angry at the dismissive way that IMSI are treating me as a long standing user of this product.  That is now virtually totally useless to me as a tool used to communicate with my customers.

Because as I have written in other posts I cannot, in a straight forward way, include a rendered image of a finished article as part of the printed drawings of my designs.

I am in the process of asking for a refund of my money, this is sad, since I have enjoyed using TC and have used the program since the days it was delivered on a couple of 3.5" floppy disks!

Martin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:44:07 AM by Riftvalley »

MS Win10 Pro, i7-3770K processor, Nvidia GeForce GTX, 500GB SSD, 2T HD, 16GB RAM (32GB Virtual). Gigabyte Mobo.  TC since 3.5" floppy days.  Now 2018 Platinum although still use Ver 11 for beam tool (not compatible with Ver18, or version 21).   Cannot get TurboCadCam ver 3.0 to work on Win 10 machin

* April 07, 2015, 10:47:51 AM
Here in the UK I never saw any offer of $100 for the Lightworks plug-in

If you bought from a UK supplier then it wasn't offered as an option, indeed lightworks isn't (wasn't) mentioned at all, so anyone buying in the UK wouldn't know anything was 'missing' until they tried the software and it didn't work.

April 07, 2015, 12:12:48 PM
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::RedSDK Printing Workaround::::::::::::::::::::::::::

See this thread

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,16410.0/topicseen.html

* April 07, 2015, 12:21:42 PM
See this thread

Hi Travis, clicking the link produces the attached error

April 07, 2015, 12:34:05 PM
Ok. I think I need to look it up while not moderating? Hold on a minute.

April 07, 2015, 12:39:55 PM
Ok,

This is my fault. I jumped the gun a little bit. Dave Taylor is testing the solution I posted a link to as we speak. It was posted in the Beta Test section which I didn't notice. Good news is we are getting closer to resolving this.

* April 08, 2015, 03:18:44 AM
My work round;

Save the rendered paperspace image as a PNG then convert the PNG to PDF using http://fm-pdf.com/png-to-pdf-free.html (its free).

Bit of a faff and shouldn't have to but hey ho!

Kevin