TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

2D Boolean operations not operable
Read 11289 times
* February 28, 2015, 08:04:16 AM
I'm playing around with TurboCAD 21 Deluxe.  I've got a simple drawing with both 2D and 3D objects that I have drawn.  I can do all sorts of 3D boolean operations, but for some reason, I can't do any 2D.  I've made sure that the 2D objects are in the current workplane (which happens to the the world workplane), and I've tried toggling from 3D to 2D.  Nothing seems to work.  When I click on the 2D subtract icon, it just goes to the selector arrow, as opposed to when I click on the 3D subtract icon, it goes to the 3D subtract prompts.

I hope I've explained this well enough.  I'd appreciate any help.  I've been using TurboCAD 18 for a few years without the 2D boolean capability, working around the issue by creating and moving nodes around.  It'a probably going to be something really simple.

Thanks,
Nate

* February 28, 2015, 08:19:07 AM
It should work, Nate. Remember that objects that lie on the same pPlane aren't necessarily on the same Workplane. Select all of the objects you want to operate on and apply "Place on Workplane." If that doesn't fix the problem, please post the .tcw file.

Henry H

* February 28, 2015, 12:20:28 PM
I'm playing around with TurboCAD 21 Deluxe.
Thanks,
Nate

How is it that you are sure that the "selector arrow" you report it "goes to" when you click on the 2D Subtract icon isn't the 2D Subtract selector-arrow.
I mean... how else are you going to choose what to select for the objects of the 2D Boolean operation without an arrow or something as your cursor.

Additionally, from the TurboCAD Wiki:

Designer & Deluxe
*Designer and Deluxe do not allow the selection of multiple objects in a 2D Boolean operation.
*Selection of multiple objects, while holding the Shift key is only available in the Professional editions.
*When the objects have been added or subtracted in Deluxe, you are returned to the Selection Tool. The Boolean tool does not remain active.
*See 2D Boolean Workarounds at the end of this article.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 28, 2015, 07:29:21 PM
Are you sure you are following all the steps for 2d add and subtract. This made me think it didn't work when I first tried these commands.
select the objects you want to subtract from then the finish flag then what you want to subtract and the finish flag again

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 28, 2015, 09:02:25 PM
Are you sure you are following all the steps for 2d add and subtract. This made me think it didn't work when I first tried these commands.
select the objects you want to subtract from then the finish flag then what you want to subtract and the finish flag again

In Deluxe it's a bit different.  In my version-19, anyway.

We only have the single "Finish Boolean 2D" in the Local Menu and Inspector Bar (Flag icon) after activating the Tool.  There's no "Finish Selection", between selecting the minuend and the subtrahend.

In Deluxe, it's a one-shot deal.  We can only use the Tool once at a time, and only with one-of-each Object* (one minuend, one subtrahend); then the Tool is over-- the Selector Tool becomes active.

In Deluxe:  Activate the 2D Subtract Tool; select the minuend; select the subtrahend; operation and Tool finito'.  The "Finish Boolean 2D" acts sort of like a "Cancel", when you want to cancel the operation without doing the operation, after having activated the Tool.
    In fact, there is no "Cancel" available once a 2D Boolean Tool is activated; nor does hitting the "Escape"-key invoke a cancel (space-bar cancels and activates the Selector Tool, though).

~Alvin

*Except for a convoluted workaround that I offered a few months ago, and John published in the TurboCAD Wiki.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 01, 2015, 05:24:38 AM

How is it that you are sure that the "selector arrow" you report it "goes to" when you click on the 2D Subtract icon isn't the 2D Subtract selector-arrow.
I mean... how else are you going to choose what to select for the objects of the 2D Boolean operation without an arrow or something as your cursor.

Back when 2D boolean used to work in TurboCAD 18 (going on memory because it's been so long since it worked for me), when I selected the 2D subtract icon, some prompts would appear in the lower left hand corner, something like "select object to subtract from."  After selecting the first object, it would prompt to select the object to subtract, then I'd hit "finish."  It used to work like that fine.

Now, if I open up a new drawing from scratch and draw two simple squares overlapping each other, selecting the 2D subtract icon doesn't give any prompts, except "select objects (s)," the same prompt when I select the arrow iron.  After I select an object, the prompt says "edit the selected object(s)," which is simply the selector arrow prompts.

When I select the 3D subtract icon, I get the prompts in the lower left hand corner, e.g., "select the first of the solid objects (i.e. minuend).

It really shouldn't be this difficult.  I used to use that function all the time.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:30:03 AM by natethecabinetguy »

* March 01, 2015, 05:40:52 AM
It should work, Nate. Remember that objects that lie on the same pPlane aren't necessarily on the same Workplane. Select all of the objects you want to operate on and apply "Place on Workplane." If that doesn't fix the problem, please post the .tcw file.

Henry H

I opened a drawing from scratch and drew two squares and two circles.  I selected all and the the "place on workplane" operation.  Selected the 2D subtract icon and got the same prompts you would get if you were just selecting an object, no 2D boolean prompts.

Here's the file.

Thanks

* March 01, 2015, 06:13:50 AM

Henry H

I opened a drawing from scratch and drew two squares and two circles.  I selected all and the the "place on workplane" operation.  Selected the 2D subtract icon and got the same prompts you would get if you were just selecting an object, no 2D boolean prompts.

Here's the file.

Thanks

Someone will have to verify in V21Deluxe.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 01, 2015, 08:28:35 AM

Henry H

Here's the file.

Thanks

Works for me in your drawing. Are you sure you picked the 2D tool?

Henry H

* March 01, 2015, 10:07:57 AM

Henry H

What version/edition/build, Henry?

Did you try it in version-21-Deluxe, as Nate states he is using?

Using version-21-Deluxe, 2D Boolean Subtract, do you get the prompts in the Inspector Bar:  "Select First graphic"; then "Select second graphic"?
How about in the Local Menu-- do you get the option "Finish Boolean 2D" (or similar)?

~Alvin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:15:50 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 01, 2015, 10:10:36 AM

Henry H

What version/edition/build, Henry?

Did you try it in version-21-Deluxe, as Nate states he is using?

~Alvin

Yup.

Henry H

* March 01, 2015, 10:36:27 AM
Nate, Can you post some screen-captures of your TurboCAD window at all the different steps of the process you are doing.  The whole TurboCAD window, preferably.

Or:  Use Windows' "Problem Steps Recorder".  Just type that in the Windows Start Window search field, or use Windows' Help & Support to lead you to it.
I've attached a .zip-file that has in it my "Problem Steps Recorder" results.  Windows automatically puts it in a .zip-folder.
In my recording, I clicked on the prompts in the Inspector Bar between steps, the first time.  There are some other extraneous clicks in there, to try to illustrate the Tools behavior.

~Alvin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:38:01 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 01, 2015, 02:55:42 PM
"Using version-21-Deluxe, 2D Boolean Subtract, do you get the prompts in the Inspector Bar:  "Select First graphic"; then "Select second graphic"?"

Yup.

"How about in the Local Menu-- do you get the option "Finish Boolean 2D" (or similar)?"

Nope. The operation finishes automatically as soon as I click on the second graphic.

Henry H

* March 01, 2015, 03:14:18 PM
"How about in the Local Menu-- do you get the option "Finish Boolean 2D" (or similar)?"

Nope. The operation finishes automatically as soon as I click on the second graphic.

Henry H

In my version-19-Deluxe, there is the Local Menu option "Finish Boolean 2D" after the 2D Boolean Tool/Command is activated, during-and-before the Boolean is executed that functions as a "Cancel".  "Escape"-key does not cancel; nor is a "Cancel" option available.
   (That's shown in Step-10 in my "Problem Steps Recorder" HTML that I attached to my previous Post.)

Must be-- might be-- different in version-21-Deluxe.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:16:24 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 01, 2015, 04:42:53 PM
"Must be-- might be-- different in version-21-Deluxe."

2D Subtract in my v19 Deluxe works exactly the same as in my v21 Deluxe.

Henry H

* March 01, 2015, 04:50:44 PM
"Must be-- might be-- different in version-21-Deluxe."

2D Subtract in my v19 Deluxe works exactly the same as in my v21 Deluxe.

Henry H

So, Nate, there is a pretty good possibility probability that my version-19-Deluxe behavior that I have been describing in various posts, this thread, is exactly the same as in your version-21-Deluxe.

~Alvin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:57:01 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 09:45:21 AM
Nate, Can you post some screen-captures of your TurboCAD window at all the different steps of the process you are doing.  The whole TurboCAD window, preferably.

Here are the screen captures.  I opened a new drawing from scratch, drew a square, then another one overlapping it.  Selecting the 2D subtract does not give me the prompts I would expect in the lower left corner.

* March 04, 2015, 10:26:57 AM
Here are the screen captures.  I opened a new drawing from scratch, drew a square, then another one overlapping it.  Selecting the 2D subtract does not give me the prompts I would expect in the lower left corner.

Quick question Nate:  Do you have any other TurboCAD version installed that you can give it a try in?  Just so that we can ascertain if this is a your-installation issue, or a User-error issue.  (it's seeming like a your-installation issue; might just want to try running a "Repair")

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 11:46:24 AM

Quick question Nate:  Do you have any other TurboCAD version installed that you can give it a try in?  Just so that we can ascertain if this is a your-installation issue, or a User-error issue.  (it's seeming like a your-installation issue; might just want to try running a "Repair")

-Alvin

I've got TurboCAD 18 installed, too.  Exact same problem on it.  No 2D boolean menus.  It was working fine for the longest time, them suddenly quit working.  This is a fresh install of TurboCAD 21.  I doing a 30 day trial before upgrading.

* March 04, 2015, 12:37:48 PM
No problem here or on my 32-bit installation of Deluxe. Maybe a Windows Update changed something? ???

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 04, 2015, 12:51:33 PM
I'm playing around with TurboCAD 21 Deluxe. ... I can do all sorts of 3D boolean operations, but for some reason, I can't do any 2D.  ... When I click on the 2D subtract icon, it just goes to the selector arrow, ...  I've been using TurboCAD 18 for a few years without the 2D boolean capability,  ...

I've got TurboCAD 18 installed, too.  Exact same problem on it.  No 2D boolean menus.  It was working fine for the longest time, them suddenly quit working.  This is a fresh install of TurboCAD 21.  ...

"Weird, wild, wacky stuff", to paraphrase Johnny Carson in one of his character-roles.

I hate not being able to figure out something like this.:P   My [mild]-OCD can't handle it.;D  ~Alvin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:53:53 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 12:57:51 PM
You wrote "No 2D boolean menus" Nate.  I assume you meant prompts(?)

We've been working with 2D Subtract.  Can you do 2D Add or Intersect in either of your versions of TurboCAD?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:08:48 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 01:25:50 PM
You wrote "No 2D boolean menus" Nate.  I assume you meant prompts(?)

We've been working with 2D Subtract.  Can you do 2D Add or Intersect in either of your versions of TurboCAD?

Yes, I meant prompts.  I remember them being in the lower left corner.

I cannot do any 2D boolean operations in either version.

* March 04, 2015, 01:56:03 PM

To John R, or others:  Is there a 2D Modify .dll or something else like that that might be missing in Nate's Draggers Folders, or somewhere else.

I'm recalling the two or three Users that recently reported their Snaps not working, and it turned out their Avast AntiVirus was quarantining the Snaps.dll file.  [or something along those lines]

[EDIT]:  Here's a link to the Search results on the above-referenced topic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:39:52 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 02:50:12 PM

To John R, or others:  Is there a 2D Modify .dll or something else like that that might be missing in Nate's Draggers Folders, or somewhere else.

I'm recalling the two or three Users that recently reported their Snaps not working, and it turned out their Avast AntiVirus was quarantining the Snaps.dll file.  [or something along those lines]

There's a TcBool2D.dll in the Program folder. The v18 version is attached.

Since the Forum won't allow .dll files to be uploaded, I've changed this to "TcBool2D.txt." Rename it to "TcBool2D.dll" before copying it to the Program folder (the "Draggers" parent folder).

Henry H

* March 04, 2015, 02:55:40 PM
re: …Is there a 2D Modify .dll or something else like that…

I have a "BoolDr21.dll" on my Draggers folder for for V21 Deluxe (32 or 64-bit).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 04, 2015, 03:39:53 PM
re: …Is there a 2D Modify .dll or something else like that…

I have a "BoolDr21.dll" on my Draggers folder for for V21 Deluxe (32 or 64-bit).

Do 2D Boolean ops work if you rename that file? Renaming the one I just posted fails to disable the tool in v18 Deluxe.

Henry H

* March 04, 2015, 03:47:48 PM
For what it's worth:

I shut down my version-19.
Removed the "TcBool2D.dll" from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSIDesign\TCW19\Program" Folder.
Re-started version-19; New drawing from my Template.
2D Boolean Tools worked fine.

(then put the .dll file back)

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 03:51:03 PM
For what it's worth:

I shut down my version-19.
Removed the "TcBool2D.dll" from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSIDesign\TCW19\Program" Folder.
Re-started version-19; New drawing from my Template.
2D Boolean Tools worked fine.

(then put the .dll file back)

Did the same with the "BoolDr19.dll" file in the Draggers Folder.
Same results.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 06:23:18 PM

There's a TcBool2D.dll in the Program folder. The v18 version is attached.

Since the Forum won't allow .dll files to be uploaded, I've changed this to "TcBool2D.txt." Rename it to "TcBool2D.dll" before copying it to the Program folder (the "Draggers" parent folder).

Henry H

I didn't find a file by this name in my V18 draggers folder, but I renamed and copied to that folder like you suggested.  No effect.  Still no 2D boolean prompts.

Appreciate the effort, though.

* March 04, 2015, 06:38:16 PM
1) Have you tried running "Repair" Nate?--  for both of your TurboCAD versions.

2) Have you tried doing the "Delete the contents of the Built-in folder..." thing, for both of your TurboCAD versions?

3) Have you tried logging in as another User that is set up with a User Account on your computer?

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 04, 2015, 06:47:54 PM
I went back to my old TurboCAD 7 CD and loaded the program.  2D boolean works fine on it.  Thought I'd remove and reinstall V18 to see what would happen.  It's gone forever. Apparently, I upgraded to V18 from a version other than V7.  I'm sure it's on one of my backup drives (I think I've been through two laptops since V7).

* March 05, 2015, 02:47:42 PM
I had a world of problems today.  Today, the last day of my 30 day trial period, I got another 15 day extension.  TurboCAD would not recognize the new activation key.  Then I started getting a fatal error upon start-up:  "Unhandled exception!!! TurboCAD will termnate now!"  I tried running a "repair" a couple of times.  Same error message.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire program.  No luck.

I spent an hour with technical support discussing these issues.  He was stumped as to why 2D boolean was not working on two separate versions.  He basically blamed anti-virus and the Intel HD 4000 graphics card, although disabling the anti-virus had no effect.  He said he'd send me a link for updating my display driver to the best one for TurboCAD.  It's been five hours, so I guess that email isn't going to come.  His last words to me were "good luck."

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled V18.  That fixed the 2D boolean bug.  I completely uninstalled V21, ran CC Cleaner, then purchased the V21 upgrade.  Holding my breath as I clicked on the TurboCAD 21 icon--because I've got $30,000 worth of kitchen designs wrapped up in V21, as well as a catalog of 3D cabinets that I drew myself--it started up with no problems.

2D boolean now works in V21, too.

Who knows why all this crap occurred.  I'm just happy everything works now!    :D

Thanks, guys, for trying to help out.  Sometimes it's just a gremlin somewhere.

* March 05, 2015, 03:00:28 PM

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled V18.  That fixed the 2D boolean bug.  I completely uninstalled V21, ran CC Cleaner, then purchased the V21 upgrade.  Holding my breath as I clicked on the TurboCAD 21 icon--because I've got $30,000 worth of kitchen designs wrapped up in V21, as well as a catalog of 3D cabinets that I drew myself--it started up with no problems.

Who knows why all this crap occurred.  I'm just happy everything works now!    :D

How in the world Henry and I neglected to suggest fully un-Installing and re-Installing, I don't know.

Glad to read you've got it handled, Nate.  Glad for you; and glad for me ;).  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2015, 03:54:34 PM

How in the world Henry and I neglected to suggest fully un-Installing and re-Installing, I don't know.

Glad to read you've got it handled, Nate.  Glad for you; and glad for me ;).  -Alvin

I can claim senility. You can't ;-)

Henry H

* July 23, 2019, 11:10:48 PM
Found this problem from 2015 realting to 2d Bolean operations not working.

This is what I am experiencing with 2018 Expert 64bit.

To recap:
After purchasing 2018 and encountering numerous problems I discovered (via this forum) that downloading and installing the latest file (with Norton virus scanning switched off) solved most of them.

I was able to get 2d Bolean Subtraction working briefly after assigning keyboard commands to it, but after a restart it stopped working again.

Reading this thread, most of it is above my pay grade, but there seems to be suggestion of a missing DLL file. But is the file and location the same for 2018 as the versions mentioned in this old thread?

If not, can anyone point me in the direction of where to get the missing DLL and where to place it?

I've tried deleting 'built in' folder etc, but that hasn't cured problem.

Thanks