TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

"Zoom-In by Cursor" & "Zoom-Out by Cursor" added to Keyboard Commands List
Read 9423 times
January 17, 2015, 08:33:10 AM
A small "wish".

It would be nice to have the Commands "Zoom in one step about the cursor position" and "Zoom out one step about the cursor position" in the list of available Commands in Customize/Keyboard.

I use these all the time, having assigned them in my version-11 to the Z and Q keys, respectively.  These Commands seemed to be assigned to Num+ & Num-  in the TurboCAD-provided/installed configurations.  But I'm right-handed; with my mouse in my right hand, it's a long way to go-- over to the right side of the keyboard-- for this operation, and, as I said, I use these Commands constantly.

In my version-19, I use a further-customized configuration file that was built on this version-11 configuration file.
But I am concerned that might be causing me issues now (in version-19), or in the future, should I upgrade to an even more current version.
Since version-11 is so far back, I would like to and be willing to create a new go-to custom configuration-file, starting with one of the current version(s)' supplied configuration-files.  But I don't want to give up these two Keyboard-assigned commands-- just too darn handy for my work.

Thanks, Alvin

p.s.-- Fellow Forum-members' comments on this topic-thread are welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:29:24 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 27, 2015, 09:58:36 AM
A small "wish".

It would be nice to have the Commands "Zoom in one step about the cursor position" and "Zoom out one step about the cursor position" in the list of available Commands in Customize/Keyboard.

I use these all the time, having assigned them in my version-11 to the Z and Q keys, respectively.  These Commands seemed to be assigned to Num+ & Num-  in the TurboCAD-provided/installed configurations.  But I'm right-handed; with my mouse in my right hand, it's a long way to go-- over to the right side of the keyboard-- for this operation, and, as I said, I use these Commands constantly.

In my version-19, I use a further-customized configuration file that was built on this version-11 configuration file.
But I am concerned that might be causing me issues now (in version-19), or in the future, should I upgrade to an even more current version.
Since version-11 is so far back, I would like to and be willing to create a new go-to custom configuration-file, starting with one of the current version(s)' supplied configuration-files.  But I don't want to give up these two Keyboard-assigned commands-- just too darn handy for my work.

Thanks, Alvin

p.s.-- Fellow Forum-members' comments on this topic-thread are welcomed.

In my installation, the "+" and "-" keys on the number keypad do exactly that.

Henry H

January 27, 2015, 10:10:55 AM

Henry H

Yeah, mine too Henry.

But for a right-hander, with the mouse in my right-hand, that is Zooming-in-and-out-by-Cursor constantly, the + and - keys, on the right side of my keyboard are a long and cumbersome way to go.  I mean, I actually have to take the time to look, find, re-orient, etc.  My left hand and fingers are ready for V,I,N SEKEs, and "E"-Explode and "G"-Group; it seldom travels past the mid-point of the keyboard.

In something like monotonous 2D multi-sheet building construction plans, there is a lot of tedious stuff to draw.  And I like to just zip, zip, zip around-- Turbo-style (a habit from my production-framing days).  Having these commands via my Z and Q keys serves me very well.

I just thought it would be very quick and simple for The Developers to add these Commands to the list of available Commands assignable in Customize/Keyboard.

Thanks Henry  ~Alvin

p.s.:  I thought about hooking up my peripheral, external, USB numerical keypad, put it on my left side, and see if that works; but it's in storage.  My hunch is that it's a 50/50 chance that would function as the keyboard-incorporated numerical keypad would.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:36:36 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 27, 2015, 11:32:03 AM

Henry H

Yeah, mine too Henry.

But for a right-hander, with the mouse in my right-hand, that is Zooming-in-and-out-by-Cursor constantly, the + and - keys, on the right side of my keyboard are a long and cumbersome way to go.  I mean, I actually have to take the time to look, find, re-orient, etc.  My left hand and fingers are ready for V,I,N SEKEs, and "E"-Explode and "G"-Group; it seldom travels past the mid-point of the keyboard.

In something like monotonous 2D multi-sheet building construction plans, there is a lot of tedious stuff to draw.  And I like to just zip, zip, zip around-- Turbo-style (a habit from my production-framing days).  Having these commands via my Z and Q keys serves me very well.

I just thought it would be very quick and simple for The Developers to add these Commands to the list of available Commands assignable in Customize/Keyboard.

Thanks Henry  ~Alvin

p.s.:  I thought about hooking up my peripheral, external, USB numerical keypad, put it on my left side, and see if that works; but it's in storage.  My hunch is that it's a 50/50 chance that would function as the keyboard-incorporated numerical keypad would.

I'm right-handed, too. But when I first began using a computer, I figured that learning to operate a mouse with my left hand would be just as easy, and it would leave my right hand free for taking notes or whatever. Worked out great. Only drawback is that using someone else's computer, with the mouse on the right, is kinda awkward.

Henry H

January 27, 2015, 11:43:23 AM
I'm right-handed, too. But when I first began using a computer, I figured that learning to operate a mouse with my left hand would be just as easy, and it would leave my right hand free for taking notes or whatever. Worked out great. Only drawback is that using someone else's computer, with the mouse on the right, is kinda awkward.

Henry H

Hmmm....  Maybe I ought to give that a try.  That'd be so hard to get used to, though.   Sorta like moving to the U.K. and driving.  Or swinging the hammer with my left hand (ouch!... poor right hand holding the nail :'()

Probably be good for brain development, though.

________
Just tried it.  Man!!... that's awkward! ???  I don't know how you did it...  But you have a great point Henry-- the taking notes and all.  I sometimes am hesitant to take down notes because I don't want to give up my mouse-handling right-hand.  (when I was a framer and framing-contractor, I sweated all the persnickety, time-saving possibilities)

________
Phil Mickelson is righty, swings lefty.  I forget why he developed that habit at an early age.  Was it because he was mirroring his right-hand-swinging Dad-instructor?   Or was his first set of clubs some lefties from a garage sale.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:46:23 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 27, 2015, 11:57:57 AM
You have to do it step by step Alvin

The same way like the Swedish did back in 52 or 54 when they change from left to rigth hand driving, first week the bus start ...
 ??? ;D

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

January 27, 2015, 12:02:06 PM
You have to do it step by step Alvin

The same way like the Swedish did back in 52 or 54 when they change from left to rigth hand driving, first week the bus start ...
 ??? ;D

Torfinn

"step by step"

Alvin Gregorio

* January 27, 2015, 01:55:19 PM
Sorry Alvin but I have to ask - does your mouse not have a wheel, I zip around a drawing all the time using the mouse wheel.

January 27, 2015, 02:09:31 PM
Sorry Alvin but I have to ask - does your mouse not have a wheel, I zip around a drawing all the time using the mouse wheel.

Hi Andy.  My mouse has a wheel. But it's a MS wireless, which has issues with using the wheel to zoom.

Besides, it's the by-cursor aspect that I make the constant use of.  I find it extremely beneficial for the types of drawings I typically do.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* January 27, 2015, 03:00:50 PM
I also use a MS wireless, I had to go into the MS keyboard and mouse set-up program, under the mouse wheel setting there was an option  - identify programs that don't scroll correctly, once I told it that TC doesn't scroll, it works fine in TC for zooming by curser. 

January 27, 2015, 03:12:05 PM
I also use a MS wireless, I had to go into the MS keyboard and mouse set-up program, under the mouse wheel setting there was an option  - identify programs that don't scroll correctly, once I told it that TC doesn't scroll, it works fine in TC for zooming by curser.

I already tried that once or twice or thrice Andy.
I've been using this mouse for a couple of years.

I'll give it another go.

Thanks Andy.

_______
Still:  I think it'd be nice-- and very quick and easy-- to have the developers add the Commands "Zoom in one step about the cursor position" and "Zoom out one step about the cursor position" in the list of available Commands in Customize/Keyboard.

If it wasn't so seemingly easy, I wouldn't suggest it here.  I can't be the only one that would like this ability.  In fact, I know I'm not; a while back another Forum-member was asking how to assign a custom keyboard entry to these Commands.

It just seems so dang easy.  These were available in version-11.  I mean, how hard and time-consuming can it be.  Just send the developers and email; let one of them spend an hour(?) on it.

Like I said in my first post, this topic, I am very hesitant to quit using this version-11-built-upon configuration file, just for this reason.  Then again, I really want to use a me-customized current-version provided/installed configuration file for any future upgrades I may purchase.

Anyway... if it's too much trouble for them... that's cool.

~Alvin

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:27:39 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

January 27, 2015, 03:50:08 PM

You say it "works fine" Andy.  Does it work as well-- as smoothly-- as holding down the + and - keys?

Because my wheel works for "Zoom In [and Out] by Cursor"... just not smoothly.  Not smoothly at all.

I verified the option you suggested.   It's a MS Wireless Mouse 5000.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 30, 2015, 01:32:35 AM
HI Alvin, sorry for delay replying.

You are totally correct in that there is a difference between wheel and + / -, possibly due to the screen having to refresh more times using the wheel, unfortunately I don't think a comparison is of any use to yourself, as it will differ because of computer spec like processor etc. but for me any difference only shows up on very complex drawings.

Coincidentally I also use a MS wireless 5000, I hope IMSI take note and give you back the customise option, though maybe to late in production for v22. 

* January 30, 2015, 12:44:01 PM
If I want 'smooth', I use the "Dynamic Zoom" option. Hold the "Ctrl" key, then push/pull the mouse with the wheel or middle mouse button pressed down. Between that and "Ctrl+Shift" for the Pan option, I'm happy; though occasionally I'll roll the wheel.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

January 30, 2015, 01:39:18 PM
I know nothing about computer programming.

How much time would it take for one mid-level developer personnel to add the Commands "Zoom in one step about the cursor position" and "Zoom out one step about the cursor position" into the list of available Commands in Customize/Keyboard in the next revision/build of the upcoming version.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:35:04 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 30, 2015, 07:51:31 PM
You can almost do that now, but it takes two steps. First, press Ctrl+End --> Pan to Cursor. This shifts the view so that it centers on the current position of the cursor. This command seems to be cast in stone; I can find no way to change the hotkey.

Then, Tools>Customize offers "Zoom in" --> Zoom in one step about the view center, and "Zoom out" --> Zoom out one step about the view center. Both of these are customizeable. So, you'd have to center the view on the cursor and then zoom in/out.

Henry H

January 31, 2015, 06:57:57 AM
I'm talkin':  I use these Commands-- via Z & Q-- constantly.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

April 25, 2015, 07:36:31 AM
A few weeks ago I installed a version-20-Pro that was legally/ethically gifted to me by a generous fellow Forum-member that had upgraded (and un-installed 20).

Though I have used it, for full-tilt-- get-paid-for-- drawing, I keep going back to my version-19-Deluxe.
Why?
Because of the absence of this version-11-configuration-created keyboard-shortcut "Zoom in [or out] one step about the cursor position" assigned to my Z & Q keys.

>Loading my version-11-created configuration in version-20 causes issues (example shown below).
>Using the mouse-wheel zoom in and out by cursor in version-20 doesn't behave the same as when using my V11-created-configuration file in V11-Pro & V19-Deluxe.  Same with the + & - keys.

I would like to use version-20-Pro almost exclusively now; but with the absence of this custom keyboard assignment (and-- to the point of this Topic-thread-- the absence of the ability to assign it), I keep going back to using version-19-Deluxe.)

I understand that it is too late to get this ability into version-20; but maybe moving forward Dave...

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* April 25, 2015, 01:13:28 PM
Have you tried loading your V19 Deluxe configuration into your V20 Pro, instead of the V11 configuration?

Does having "Zoom in/out centralize" on or off make a difference (Options / Preferences) when zooming?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

April 25, 2015, 04:02:35 PM
Have you tried loading your V19 Deluxe configuration into your V20 Pro, instead of the V11 configuration?

My V19DL configuration is my slightly modified/built-upon V11 configuration file John.  So, yes, I copied this modified configuration file from my V19 Config folder into my V20 Config folder and Loaded it in V20PP.
   There are some issues in V19DL using this V11-originated configuration file, but they are so minor that I cannot recall them now, and they not hinder me.

Alvin Gregorio

April 25, 2015, 04:12:52 PM

Does having "Zoom in/out centralize" on or off make a difference (Options / Preferences) when zooming?

YES!  Makes all the difference in the world.  I have that option checked in my V19DL, but not in my V20PP.  Just checked it in my V20PP, and... works like a champ!  (via my mouse-wheel and +&- numerical-keyboard keys)

I think I can adapt.  I'm really going to miss-- and am going to have a tough time adjusting to-- not having my custom-assigned Z & Q keys to do the job.  But I think I will get used to using the mouse-wheel (being a right-handed mouser, I will likely never use the +&- keys option)
____
I still think they could and should easily and cheaply include these commands in the list of custom-assignable keyboard shortcuts-- in the next V22 build, or in the next version
____
There are still so many things about TurboCAD that I do not know that I do not know-- things such as remembering the affect of the "Zoom in/out centralize" option.  Like everyone else, I just get rushed (and a bit lazy to do the research).

____
Thanks a bunch John!  I think I can live with it.  I think I will start using the configuration-files you generously provided me, and customize to my usage from there.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* April 26, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

Henry H

Hmmm....  Maybe I ought to give that a try.  That'd be so hard to get used to, though.   Sorta like moving to the U.K. and driving.  Or swinging the hammer with my left hand (ouch!... poor right hand holding the nail :'()

Probably be good for brain development, though.

________
Just tried it.  Man!!... that's awkward! ???  I don't know how you did it...  But you have a great point Henry-- the taking notes and all.  I sometimes am hesitant to take down notes because I don't want to give up my mouse-handling right-hand.  (when I was a framer and framing-contractor, I sweated all the persnickety, time-saving possibilities)

________
Phil Mickelson is righty, swings lefty.  I forget why he developed that habit at an early age.  Was it because he was mirroring his right-hand-swinging Dad-instructor?   Or was his first set of clubs some lefties from a garage sale.

Just takes practice Alvin.  ;)  I used the opportunity one time, many years ago, to practice while driving in all the exposed nails from a re-roofing project.  Worked well since I didn't have to risk my other fingers that way!  Now I am actually more accurate with the left than the right, though not with as much power. :)

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* August 18, 2015, 12:05:19 AM
A work around for the Q and Z zooming buttons.

AutoHotKey is a small program that uses scripts to create keyboard shortcuts.  AutoHotKey reads the keyboard before TurboCad does so something like

q::send numpadAdd

would catch the q key and send a numpadAdd key stroke to Turbocad

Personally, I would prefer the NumPadAdd to be a + (plus) key and the NumPadSub to be a - (minus) key - so this works for me.

#IfWinActive TurboCAD
numpadAdd::send {+}
numpadSub:: send -