TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

working with cylinders I keep on getting a snap error.
Read 7099 times
* December 18, 2014, 05:35:21 PM
I am working through a training course I purchase which has me moving a large cylinder over smaller cylinder and having the end faces line up.

I am trying to move the reference point on a cylinder to one of the faces.  I do the D seke and then press the C seke. 

I keep on getting this error msg.

The requested operation cannot be completed.
A Snap mode is active with no snap points within the snap aperture.
Re-try the operation with snap disabled

I've searched the online help for this error msg and nothing comes up as what to do.  I have the snap modes off.

I've gone to Modes/snaps/snap options and "no snaps" is checked.

What I am trying to do is to place one larger cylinder over another cylinder by moving the reference point to the face of the cylinders. 

TC21 pro.

* December 18, 2014, 05:44:30 PM
The centre snap doesn't work hovering over the centre, it works when you're hovering over the circular edge.

December 18, 2014, 05:52:25 PM
The centre snap doesn't work hovering over the centre, it works when you're hovering over the circular edge.

With Options/Drawing Setup/ACIS/Degenerative Faceting "On" or "Off"?... I forget which.   Please explain that to kolson; I don't have "Pro", so I can't test it.

Thanks,  Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 18, 2014, 06:01:48 PM
still get the same error msg... 

I do a "E seke" on the top of a cylinder and it moves the reference point.  I've tried using the "auto workplane by face" and "workplane by facet" and then doing a "C seke".  If move the cursor to the reference box handles and click, the reference will relocate to there.  I've tried outside, inside and not been able to get the reference point to move to the center of the top of a cylinder. 

I need the reference point to move to the center of top or bottom of 2 cylinder faces so I can place (snap) them on the same workplane and their center line up.

* December 18, 2014, 06:06:55 PM
Degenerative faceting is checked...

December 18, 2014, 06:12:58 PM
Degenerative faceting is checked...

Yes.  I just researched this.  "Degenerative Faceting" has to be checked to be able to execute what you are trying to do:  Use the Center (of Circle) Snap [C-SEKE] on the "faces" of a Cylinder, by mousing over (hovering over), the edge of the "circle", not in the center area of the "circle".

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 18, 2014, 06:27:56 PM
turned it back on and still having the same issue.  The ref point will move if I do a e seke and not a c seke.

December 18, 2014, 06:31:38 PM
turned it back on and still having the same issue.  The ref point will move if I do a e seke and not a c seke.

E-SEKE is Center of Extents Snap-- center of the whole 3D Object (the Cylinder).  In 2D, it would behave the same as a Center (of Circle) Snap, if used on a Circle.

Just finishing up another Post/Reply now.

Alvin Gregorio

December 18, 2014, 06:34:33 PM
still get the same error msg... 

I do a "E seke" on the top of a cylinder and it moves the reference point.  I've tried using the "auto workplane by face" and "workplane by facet" and then doing a "C seke".  If move the cursor to the reference box handles and click, the reference will relocate to there.  I've tried outside, inside and not been able to get the reference point to move to the center of the top of a cylinder. 

I need the reference point to move to the center of top or bottom of 2 cylinder faces so I can place (snap) them on the same workplane and their center line up.

You don't need to "auto Workplane by Face" nor "Workplane by Facet" to achieve what you are trying to do.

Nor do you need "the reference point to move to the center of top or bottom of 2 cylinder faces so I can place (snap) them on the same workplane and their center line up".

There's a few (easy) ways of accomplishing what you are trying to do-- a real easy one is Modify/Assemble/by Facet.  But if you are working through a tutorial, I think it's best to keep with the method the tutorial-author is suggesting.
____
You have two steps in this question:  1) Relocating the Reference Points to the "face" of the Cylinders (I'm assuming you mean the center of the "face"-- the center of the circular facets at ends of the Cylinder);  2)  Getting one of each of the two Cylinders' ends-- circular faces-- matched up... assembled by facet.

If you can relocate the Reference Point of one Cylinder to the center of one of its circular (end) facets by using a Center of Circle Snap (C-SEKE), you can then pick up that Cylinder by its Reference Point, move it, and Center of Circle Snap it to the circular (end) facet of the other Cylinder.  I'm guessing that's what the tutorial is trying to teach you here.

The thing a lot of newer-TurboCADers forget regarding the Center of Circle Snap is you have to be hovering over the edge of the Circle, not the center area.  With ACIS/"Degenerative Faceting" checked "On", the circular facet of a Cylinder will behave like a Circle, as far as Snaps go.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:36:48 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

December 18, 2014, 06:45:50 PM
Curious:  Is your Cylinder a Solid, or a TC Surface?

Select it, then look it its Properties/3D page and see what is checked-- "Solid" or "TC Surface".  I think it has to be a Solid for the Center (of Circle) Snap to work as we are trying.

By the way:  Please upload/attach the drawing-file, so that less guessing will have to be done.  Thanks.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 18, 2014, 07:29:04 PM
Gerrrrrrrr..

Changing it from a tc solid to a solid made it work.  Had my 3d tools setup as a tc solid and not as a solid. Been trying to get it to snap for 3 hours.  Didn't get far with my training course tonight.

I'm hoping by doing some of the new training course on TC website I can stop asking so many dumb ?  Did his workplane course, which really helped me understand workplane tools.

Does any one know what happened to "Copy in Place".  The course I am doing is for version 19 and I have version 21.  The instructor wants me to do a "copy in place" and I can't find it in ver 21.
If it's no longer there, what replaced it?

Has anyone gotten the "Mastering TurboCAD Deluxe & Pro" book and if so is it worth buying?  No example of what is in it.

Thanks for your help...

December 18, 2014, 07:30:40 PM
I sent an email outlining the issue. The object was created as surface object. This is a bug in TurboCAD since v17 where tools in new from scratch drawings will often have all the 3D tools start as Surface Objects. I sent some additional notes on the issue and how to watch for it. This issue is just briefly touched upon in earlier tutorials. In later Tutorials I started to add a page to fully describe  this and what to do to ensure solids is selected right from the start. In later tutorials I also started to add a small section about user interface, since tool are located all over the place in various configuration and some tools are missing altogether. Sadly, it has become quite a challenge outlining the various hoops just to get rolling on a project - but it is doable.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:36:34 PM by Don Cheke »

December 18, 2014, 07:32:01 PM
Gerrrrrrrr..

Changing it from a tc solid to a solid made it work.  Had my 3d tools setup as a tc solid and not as a solid. Been trying to get it to snap for 3 hours.  Didn't get far with my training course tonight.

I'm hoping by doing some of the new training course on TC website I can stop asking so many dumb ?  Did his workplane course, which really helped me understand workplane tools.

Does any one know what happened to "Copy in Place".  The course I am doing is for version 19 and I have version 21.  The instructor wants me to do a "copy in place" and I can't find it in ver 21.
If it's no longer there, what replaced it?

Has anyone gotten the "Mastering TurboCAD Deluxe & Pro" book and if so is it worth buying?  No example of what is in it.

Thanks for your help...

I have sent an email outlining where to find the Copy in Place tool.

* December 19, 2014, 05:04:32 AM
No offence intended, Don, but I disagree that it's a TC bug.  New from scratch means defining your parameters.  Complaining that "from scratch" presets aren't what you think they should be is absurd.   

December 19, 2014, 05:18:08 AM
No offence intended, Don, but I disagree that it's a TC bug.  New from scratch means defining your parameters.  Complaining that "from scratch" presets aren't what you think they should be is absurd.   

According to Dave Taylor and the programmers, it is a bug that they have not been able to determine the cause. The default for from scratch drawings is supposed to be set to solids. And because it is often starting as solids the switch to surfaces is not as it should be. It has been speculated that it might have to do with what kind of template had been used previously, but as said this hasn't been nailed down as the cause.

December 19, 2014, 05:22:58 AM
Changing it from a tc solid to a solid made it work.  Had my 3d tools setup as a tc solid...

For those following along, trying to learn something:

Kolson likely meant to type "TC Surface", where he typed "tc solid".

Alvin Gregorio

December 19, 2014, 05:34:48 AM
According to Dave Taylor and the programmers, it is a bug that they have not been able to determine the cause. The default for from scratch drawings is supposed to be set to solids. And because it is often starting as solids the switch to surfaces is not as it should be. It has been speculated that it might have to do with what kind of template had been used previously, but as said this hasn't been nailed down as the cause.

Additionally-- and I discovered this when previously trialing version-21-ProPlatinum-- trying to change the default for newly-created 3D Objects from "Surface" to "Solid" via TcExplorer Palette/Program(System) Defaults doesn't stick, though it should. (Unless somebody has discovered a remedy workaround for that)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:41:47 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 19, 2014, 06:06:10 AM

That's fair enough, but I'm saying that if the programmers arbitrarily decide a default, even if they can't make it work as they'd like, it's not the user setting the drawing "from scratch", it's using a bare template and pretending that you aren't. 

* December 19, 2014, 08:02:28 AM
I am working through a training course I purchase which has me moving a large cylinder over smaller cylinder and having the end faces line up.

I am trying to move the reference point on a cylinder to one of the faces.  I do the D seke and then press the C seke. 

I keep on getting this error msg.

The requested operation cannot be completed.
A Snap mode is active with no snap points within the snap aperture.
Re-try the operation with snap disabled

I've searched the online help for this error msg and nothing comes up as what to do.  I have the snap modes off.

I've gone to Modes/snaps/snap options and "no snaps" is checked.

What I am trying to do is to place one larger cylinder over another cylinder by moving the reference point to the face of the cylinders. 

TC21 pro.

Hi Kolson,
don't let a "snap" get you all confused :)
Cylinder primitive as Surface or solid, this works > and
If you’re having trouble with inconsistent snaps >  use the status bar input fields (the old school draftsmen way ;D)
Example : cylinder has a height of 5” standing up in the “z” axis with its default reference point (middle center) >
Select the cylinder right click and choose “edit reference point”
Hit Shift+Tab this will activate the status bar
“X” field type in @0 then hit Tab
“y” field  type in @0 then hit Tab
“Z” field type in @2.5 then hit Enter
The reference point should be the top center of the cylinder.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* December 19, 2014, 11:46:44 AM
that is correct.  My 3d properties settings was set to TC surface and by changing it to a solid the snaps worked.

I had setup the page and setting as outlined in the training material (new from scratch).  I just assumed "solid" was the default property 3d objects. 

As eveyone has learned, I am doing Don Cheke "mechanical tutorial bundle" from the tc training website.  I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to learn TC. With one caveat: the course was written for version 19 and if your using a newer version, there are some differances you will have to work through.  As this discussion wil attest to. 

Such as: "copy in place" is no longer where it was in version 19.  It is now under "AddOns/SDK/Selection/Copy in place" and not in under the "Edit" menu.  It can be added to the "Edit" menu. Wich I did.  Don't know why they moved it, it makes more sense to me for it to be under the edit menu wit the other copy command.

I would also recommend all new comers to check out his (Don Cheke) websites for his other training courses and free tip pages.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:14:04 PM by kolson »