TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

print dimensions in colour
Read 7472 times
* June 11, 2014, 07:58:22 AM
sometimes we like to print coloured dims on a black line drawingj just to highlight them and make the drawing easier to read.
We have the dims on there own layer with athe print style set to normal but they still print black
the only way we have found to do this is have layer 0 set to normal, ie: not using a black line print style.
Have just upgraded to TC V21 PP and was disapointed to find the situation has not changed
Any thoughts from the TC Jedi out there ?

Cheers

Steve T

* June 11, 2014, 08:41:29 AM
Click or select Layers, set it to the colour you want, then make sure all your dimensions are on that layer.
To set the colour, click the colour rectangle (default is black) and then select the colour you want from the array.
You can move dimensions to it, or create them on it. The default of all dimension colour attributes is By Layer.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* June 12, 2014, 12:47:44 AM
All colours in the dim properties are set to 'colour by layer'
Layer the dims are on is set to have a print style 'normal'
Prints is set to use print styles
Dims still print on black if layer O print style is set to print using print style black and colour if layer 0 is set to print style 'normal'

What are we doing wrong?
We have 12 stations of TC and no one can work this out !

Steve T

* June 12, 2014, 03:33:02 AM
I hope this works
Go to tools print style manager
create a new printstyle. With the colour settings you want.
Select all your dimensions, right click and at the bottom of the properties dialogue box you can assign the new printstyle to the selected items.
When you print, "use print styles" should be checked. When you created the new prinstyle you probably had to make a new table this name should be in the drop down box not "normal".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:38:03 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* June 12, 2014, 05:54:54 AM
Thanks for the reply Nikki but I have already tried what you mention.
The issue only occurs with dims, everything else acts as expected.
See if you can replicate if you get some free time ?

Steve T
TC 21 PP

* June 12, 2014, 06:17:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Nikki but I have already tried what you mention.
The issue only occurs with dims, everything else acts as expected.
See if you can replicate if you get some free time ?

Steve T
TC 21 PP
Hi Steve,
Are you new to printing with Turbocad?
Named print styles contain a "table" and "style" do you have this all set up correctly?

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

June 12, 2014, 05:36:06 PM
Steve, You are going to have to upload/attach a Drawing file and the Print Style Table you are using if you want help resolving this.

I can't help, because my most recent version is 19.  But others will be able to help if you upload/attach the file and the Print Style Table.

I don't know if these Forums will accept the Print Style file extension type, so it would be best to put the Drawing file and the Print Style Table file in a .zip-folder and upload/attach it here.

The Print Style files-- both Color Dependent and Named Print Styles should be (by default installation) located at:  C:\Users\user name\Documents\TurboCAD Professional 21x64 (if you have 64-bit installed; similar if not).
____
12 workstations... you have to get this attended to.  A workaround would be to forget about Print Styles, and just print "Normal" in Printer Setup, and just rely on your Objects' Pen (and other fields, as applicable) color settings and Layer color settings.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:38:34 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* June 12, 2014, 05:46:06 PM
Alvin  I can create print styles and assign them - but they are not recognised because Turbocad says they are missing. I presume I am supposed to save them once I have created them but I cant work out how.
I found the folder for the saved named print styles and its empty.
Am I missing something obvious?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

June 12, 2014, 06:06:30 PM
Alvin  I can create print styles and assign them - but they are not recognised because Turbocad says they are missing. I presume I am supposed to save them once I have created them but I cant work out how.

Remember from a few months ago Nikki, what I reported I discovered:  We have to first use the Print Style via an Object before it's available in the Layers Palette.
Insert an Object-- any Object; in that Object's Properties, assign a Print Style (via "Other..."); delete the Object if you wish.  Now that particular Print Style is available in the Layers Palette.

Since that discovery, I've been using Print Styles-- mostly via "By Layer", then via Layers' setting-- on almost every drawing I do.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

June 12, 2014, 06:08:13 PM

And, I'm assuming that you have first created at least one Print Style Table, via Tools/Print Style Manager... right?

Alvin Gregorio

June 12, 2014, 06:14:16 PM

Also remember to assign a Print Style Table-- that is particular to each Drawing, or Template-- via Options/Print Styles.

Alvin Gregorio

* June 12, 2014, 06:28:15 PM
I have done all of that, it works once, then I get the word missing in brackets next to the printstyle table and I can no longer use it. Its not saving to the named printstyle file.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

June 12, 2014, 06:36:29 PM
I have done all of that, it works once, then I get the word missing in brackets next to the printstyle table and I can no longer use it. Its not saving to the named printstyle file.

That "missing" happens to me sometimes as well Nikki.  I just can't recall right now what I do to attend to that... but I do, fairly simply and quickly, from I remember.  It's been over a week since it last happened to me, and I'm not recalling the remedyI'll try to remember to report back next time I come across it and attend to it.

If I am remembering correctly, when I get that "missing" in the Print Style field, I just have to go and re-find it, via an Object's Print Style... or via the Drawing's Options/Print Styles.

Alvin Gregorio

* June 12, 2014, 07:17:11 PM

Hi Nikki,
Assuming you have your table and styles created that message usually appears when the table is not assigned to the properties in model or paperspace.
>right click on the model or paperspace tab >properties.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

June 12, 2014, 07:20:19 PM
Original Poster, Steve, is correct in that the issue he Posted is persistent.  This issue seems to be a BUG.  Need a workaround.  See my Reply #21, this Thread.

I was able to do what Steve requested very simply and easily in version-19-Deluxe.  I have to assume it didn't go haywire in version-21-ProPlatinum; they've been doing Print Styles a long time.

Attached is a zip-folder.  It has some stuff in it you can explore, including the (successful) Drawing file, the Print Style Table I used, a couple of screen-captures showing my Print Style Table settings, and a PDF of the output, using the Print Style Table.

Take a look at the Objects' Print Style settings (mostly or all "By Layer"), as well as the Layers' Print Style Settings.

Sorry.  For some reason, the Forum isn't allowing for the upload of my .zip-folder.  No error warnings... just isn't populating the field when I click on it after I click "Browse".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:03:01 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* June 12, 2014, 10:31:54 PM
Thanks Dean
I will try that.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* June 13, 2014, 12:32:32 AM
I went and tested my method in 18 and it worked.
I am sure I have a problem with my version of 20. Its not the latest build because of an issue I had with the newer builds corrupting my parametric parts. so I will just have to live with it. Until I upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:01:37 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* June 13, 2014, 09:05:25 AM
Hi folks, sorry for the delay in replying, very busy at the moment.

Yes printing from Turbocad
Same this happens in V11.2, 16.2 and 21.1PP both on XP and Win 7 pro and on all 12 stations
we have the plot style file (bst) located on a network NAS box which our 12 TC's all look at but even if the plot style folder is local the same this happens
We have a plot style set up to print any entity black what ever colour it is on screen and a plot style set up to print any entity red, and it work fine except for dims which alwat turn out black unless lay 0 is set to print colour 'normal'
Grrrrrrr !

Steve

June 13, 2014, 09:35:43 AM

Same this happens in V11.2, 16.2 and 21.1PP both on XP and Win 7 pro and on all 12 stations
we have the plot style file (bst) located on a network NAS box which our 12 TC's all look at but even if the plot style folder is local the same this happens
We have a plot style set up to print any entity black what ever colour it is on screen and a plot style set up to print any entity red, and it work fine except for dims which alwat turn out black unless lay 0 is set to print colour 'normal'
Grrrrrrr !

Steve

Hi Steve.  As I said previously, if this is really important to you to resolve, you're going to have to share here the Named Print Style Table (.bst) and a TurboCAD file that you are having the issues with... that TurboCAD file using that same Print Style Table.  Put them in a .zip-folder for uploading/attaching here, just in case .bst extensions are not accepted on the Forums.

Otherwise.... there's not a lot more help the expert folks can give you.  There's just too much left up to guessing as to what's going on at your 12 workstations, network, and users end.
____
I assume you've been busy exploring and working with the contents of my .zip-folder I shared here yesterday.  It attends to what you are asking for.

-Alvin
  Never Mind.  See my next Post.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:00:37 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* June 13, 2014, 09:48:24 AM

Grrrrrrr !

Steve

Steve,
Are the dimensions that are giving you trouble in model space? If they are try setting all color parameters in the dimension properties to "By Block" and keep layer "0" set at normal. They will have the print style color you have set in their assigned layer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:55:58 AM by Dean »

June 13, 2014, 02:48:44 PM
Steve, I can replicate your issue in version-19-Deluxe (19.2; build 54.2).

In my little Drawing, I have all Objects, including Dimensions, Print Style= "By Layer".
0-Layer Print Style is "Black" (all Print Styles are to set Pen & Brush color only, everything else is "By Object").
"Objects"-Layer is set to the same "Black" Print Style.
"Dimensions"-Layer is set to "Red" Print Style.

When I print, Modelspace or Paperspace (they are both set to the same Print Style Table), and use that Print Style Table, Dimensions Print "Black", just as everything on the 0-Layer.

Oddly and interestingly-- and some workaround might be gained from this:  For the Dimensions' Tick, I am using a Block ("User Defined...").
That entity in that Block is on the "Dimensions"-Layer, Pen Color "By Layer", and Print Style "By Layer".  That Tick prints "Red", which is what the "Dimensions"-Layer Print Style is set to.

----
To remedy the issue with the Dimensions not printing correctly, using the "By Layer" Print Style, I tried setting the Print Style for the Dimensions at each of their individual Properties level, setting to both "By Block" and also the "Red" Print Style.  Still printed the same color as the 0-Layer Print Style is set to when anything other than "Normal" is used for the 0-Layer Print Style.

----
Seems to be a long-running (many, many versions) BUG ("many, many versions" because you all report experiencing it all the way back to version-11).  There's gotta be a workaround though.
I would think the simplest workaround is to always have the 0-Layer Print Style set to "Normal", and control the printed color of Objects on the 0-Layer, when using Print Styles, either by the Layer color and/or via the Objects' Properties' Print Style settings.

----
For whatever all that's worth... Sorry for doubting you and your (12 minimum) associates.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:08:28 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

June 13, 2014, 03:30:32 PM
[Follow-up to my Reply #21]

By the way, the same issue BUG that Steve reported originally here, and he and I went into more details on in following Posts, also occurs with MultiText (Multiline Text).

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* June 13, 2014, 05:51:39 PM
[Follow-up to my Reply #21]

By the way, the same issue BUG that Steve reported originally here, and he and I went into more details on in following Posts, also occurs with MultiText (Multiline Text).

-Alvin

Alvin,
I'm not seeing this in V21 platinum. Which is what I think Steve is using,V21 platinum. Modelspace and Paperspce Mtext prints according to a layer assigned print style. As for the model space dimensions printing to their layer assigned print style, all of the color parameters (fields) found in the modelspace dimension properties dialog need to be set as "by block" and layer '0" set as normal. I have found this to work in V21 platinum.

June 13, 2014, 06:05:20 PM
 Modelspace and Paperspce Mtext prints according to a layer assigned print style.

Hi Dean, Did you give it a try with the 0-Layer set to a Print Style other than "Normal"?  (And that Print Style being to a color different than the Multiline Text's Layer's Print Style is set to.)

It's that 0-Layer Print Style being set to anything but "Normal" that seems to be the issue that Steve (and now I) is reporting.  ...with Dimensions, and now, MultiText.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* June 13, 2014, 06:11:31 PM
 Modelspace and Paperspce Mtext prints according to a layer assigned print style.

Hi Dean, Did you give it a try with the 0-Layer set to a Print Style other than "Normal"?  (And that Print Style being to a color different than the Multiline Text's Layer's Print Style is set to.)

It's that 0-Layer Print Style being set to anything but "Normal" that seems to be the issue that Steve (and now I) is reporting.

-Alvin
Hi Alvin,
Best practice working with turbocad > "don't mess with layer "0".

June 13, 2014, 06:18:53 PM
/quote]
Hi Alvin,
Best practice working with turbocad > "don't mess with layer "0".

Yeah, That's kind of what I was getting at with my suggested workaround for Steve on this issue:

Don't set the 0-Layer Print Style to anything but "Normal", and then do whatever one has to do to achieve the desired print results.  There's a number of ways that can be achieved-- Heck... just set the 0-Layer Color to Black, and the Print Style to "Normal"; and do whatever one wants with all the other Objects and Layers in the Drawing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:21:55 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio