TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Adding Toolbars Crashes TC
Read 2824 times
* June 01, 2014, 01:06:54 PM
I know this is a common topic, and I have implemented the earlier suggestion of replacing a possibly corrupt Built-In file, BUT without success.
I am running TurboCad 15 professional on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer.
When I attempt to add Text Along Curve feature, it does not appear anywhere on the screen.
When I attempt to add Tools/Work plane, the program locks up when I attempt to move the toolbar out of the work area.
I can use the Work Plane option as long as I keep it in the toolbar area....
Is there a second solution?

* June 01, 2014, 03:17:41 PM
re: …Is there a second solution?

Have you tried starting the program using "Run as administrator" from the Windows right-click menu?
Also, go to Properties for the program Icon and try one of the Compatibility settings.

"Text Along Curve" should be in the Special Tools toolbar. It can also be dragged out from the Commands page at "AddOns / Special Tools / Insert" and placed into any visible toolbar. You can't drop a tool into an open area; only a toolbar or menu.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

June 01, 2014, 03:33:01 PM
Also-- if you can live with this option-- try turning down Windows' User Account Control setting all the way... essentially "off".
User Account Control--on a single-user system-- is basically there to protect our system from ourselves... I think.  You might want to do a little research before going this option full-time.

I do this to get my version-11 to function fully in Windows 7.

Note:  You will have to re-Start your system for the new UAC setting to take effect (affect?) and the difference-- if any-- to be noticeable in your TurboCAD version-15.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:38:12 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* June 03, 2014, 04:13:21 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, but...
1) Run As Administrator does not solve the problem
2) When I attempt to add the Tools/Workplane set, it DOES appear in the drawing area, but cannot be placed in the upper part of the menu screen.
3) Also the sidebar toolset does not includes Special Tools.
4) When I attempt to use the command set Add-On's/Text Along Curve, nothing appears...

* June 03, 2014, 04:46:49 PM
2) When I attempt to add the Tools/Workplane set, it DOES appear in the drawing area, but cannot be placed in the upper part of the menu screen.
4) When I attempt to use the command set Add-On's/Text Along Curve, nothing appears...

Hi Chet, You might be out of luck.I have seen this behavior with turbocad V15 on windows 7 64 bit. I don't have it installed anymore on my machine, I'm running V21 platinum now. You might want to try and start and run task manager while you are attempting the commands you mentioned. For some reason sometimes this works and or re starting turbo. I used to be able to freeze up Turbo 15 by dragging a toolbar when the customize dialog was open. Sometimes I would start task manager and for some reason turbo would start working again after a few seconds. This also fixes the disappearing splash screen in other versions.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

June 03, 2014, 05:01:23 PM

What is the result after turning Windows' User Account Control setting all the way down... essentially, Off?  (and re-Starting your system, so as the new setting will take effect)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:03:37 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* June 03, 2014, 09:49:06 PM
What worked for me to get V15 working under Win 7 were the following steps:
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Choose System
  • Choose Advanced System Settings
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • In the Performance section, click on the Settings button
  • In the Performance Options dialog that opens, choose the Data Execution Prevention tab
  • Have the 'Turn On DEP for programs and services except those I select' button selected
  • In the list below click on add, navigate to the TC15 program folder and add both TCStart.exe and Tcw15.exe to the list
  • Click Apply and then OK out and close the dialogs

I also did NOT use administrator privileges nor any compatibility settings nor changes to the User Account Control.

I can now change the toolbars and the app is not crashing any more.

Dennis

* June 07, 2014, 07:03:32 AM
Hi Dennis!
Well, I attempted your solution...
I got up to the step where you are supposed to select the TC15 program folder from the list...
BUT I COULD NOT FIND IT!???
I checked the properties of my IMSI TC 15 folder and found the following location:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Is the TC15 folder typically within another folder set?
I am anxious to attempt your solution....

* June 07, 2014, 07:48:55 AM
Reply to Dennis - Part 2
OK, I figured what was going wrong, sort of...
The menu that opened up did not have my TC files in it.
Mine were located in
C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSI Design\TCWP 15\Program\TCW 15.exe
Once I got in the right directory, I allowed the two files to be added.
Restarted the computer, and tried Turbocad again...
An unexpected result is that TurboCad now loads lightning fast!
However I still cannot add the TextAlongCurve tool (BUT interestingly enough, I can still use it!  I just have to create the circle, go to TextAlongCurve in the menu, and click the circle again where I want the text...)
Also VIEW/Workplane will still not work correctly. It leaves the toolbar in the drawing area.  It works, but cannot be moved to menu bar without TC locking up...
Thought you might find this interesting...
Chet

* June 08, 2014, 07:16:07 PM
Sorry, I neglected to mention that you had to navigate to the Program Files(x86) folders to find the two executables.

Not sure if this applies in your case but one thing that I have found is that I can cause a lockup if the toolbar is dragged across the Internet palette when it is pinned to the right side.  I normally close the Internet palette as I don't find it useful and then I can move the toolbars around fine.  I can add the Text Along Curve tool to an existing toolbar or a new one and move them from floating to attached in the top area and vice versa as long as I have the Internet palette closed.

Dennis

* June 09, 2014, 06:28:05 AM
Hi Dennis!
YES, your suggestion worked!
My compliments on knowing your way around the idiosyncracies of using TC 15 with Win 7 Professional!
My drawing space is now exactly the way I like it.
I am very grateful!
Chet